View Full Version : Keeping cooler of ice/drain plug open or closed

Diggin Jiggin
07-20-2011, 05:03 PM
ok, so this sounds stupid as I've always kept the drain plug on my coolers closed. But which way would it hold ice better ? Am I better off with the drain plug open or closed?

I know whenever I watch survival stories they always say to stay out of the that water as it leaches heat 10 times faster than the air so it got me thinking about the water in the cooler and is that melting the ice faster than it would if it drained ?

UserRemoved1
07-20-2011, 05:29 PM
My rule of thumb has always been if there is fish in the cooler it stays open. Soft drinks etc then closed but remember that water is icky poo and can have bacteria which can give you poo-itis

blondterror
07-20-2011, 05:53 PM
from the standpoint of keeping things cold for the maximum length of time keep the plug in.

PRBuzz
07-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Add some salt (sea or Kosher) to the water actually makes it colder!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Finaddict
07-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Add some salt (sea or Kosher) to the water actually makes it colder!

If your purpose is to keep your fish cold ... a few of those fishing programs down in the Florida Keys advocate adding sea water to the ice as they say it's the best way to keep the fish chilled for a long time.

Clammer
07-20-2011, 06:14 PM
If you have fish in it & are going to move them within a reasonable time . IMO make a slush by adding saltwater .

Also IMO if you going to hold them >>>> 2 days .... pack in ice .......I always have enough ice to leave the drain open . I don,t want them in fresh cold water .

If its just ice ..I always leave it open .

Right now my cooler is filled to the brim with large ice chips //////////super to dig a cup into in this hot weather :drool:

blondterror
07-20-2011, 06:15 PM
I have also heard that some people do not recommend washing fish fillets in fresh water before cooking it... I usually do to get all the congealed blood off and other bits...

WESTPORTMAFIA
07-20-2011, 06:28 PM
I have also heard that some people do not recommend washing fish fillets in fresh water before cooking it... I usually do to get all the congealed blood off and other bits...

I always rinse off in cold
Water. Then pat dry with paper towels. Nice clean white slimeless fillets

FishermanTim
07-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Not wash them off with fresh water? What do these "experts" suggest you wash them off with, dirty laundry water?

As for the ice in the cooler, adding salt increases the salinity (du'h?) but lowers the waters freezing point.
That means that salt water will freeze at 24-26 degrees instead of 32 for fresh water, so you can have REALLY cold ice water in your cooler that can get colder than the ice in it.
They did a bit on this on Mythbusters.

I agree that ice alone or with SEALED containers: plug is in, let it remain.
Fish & ice: plug is out and let it drain!

fishbones
07-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I always rinse off in cold
Water. Then pat dry with paper towels. Nice clean white slimeless fillets

I used to do that too, back in the old days when I could catch fish.:smash:

JackK
07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Not wash them off with fresh water? What do these "experts" suggest you wash them off with, dirty laundry water?

Salt water :grins:

Boils down to osmosis- SW fish theoretically shouldn't be rinsed/submerged in FW because of the higher salt content in the cells. Fresh water rushes into the cells, causing them to burst, leading to a mushy layer. This can be minimized though by quickly drying them off (see: westportmafia).

I think it's overblown... Not like you're going to ruin it unless you let it sit in the water (so if you don't make a slurry, leave the drain open).

I personally don't rinse my fish at all- Table fish are bled right away, and any spots on the fillet I just use a paper towel or two to remove. Nothing to rinse off.