View Full Version : Block Island Trip

RockLobsta
04-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Anyone make the trip? I am thinking about taking a ride over this summer. How long would it take from Westport?

Thanks

GBOUTDOORS
04-27-2003, 09:49 AM
Rock I plan on going this spring for a few trips over fishing and with Jane a few times. It is 31 miles to closest point from Westport . That is were I will leave from also should make for a nice trip. I don't know about your rig but on a good day I would take about an hour not pushing it. I had thought about going out of R.I. some place but love Westport and it is a safe place to leave your truck and trailer overnight if need be. I have two or three friends that are not fishermen but have boats that also want to do the trip together one day.

RockLobsta
04-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Thanks GB

I have a 20 ft Scout D/C so i image it would be about the same time /ish

Just looking to do a couple of different trips as this is the first year I can go away from the coast. My 12 ft kinda limited me as far as distance. I'll still have to pick my day but it will be more comfortable for sure.

My wife will enjoy it to as she will not have to hold on to the side of the boat like she did before....

Duke41
04-27-2003, 10:38 AM
You could trailer your boats and launch at Point Judith pond. There is a decent ramp by the bridge to Great Island. That would cut your trip down by 20 miles.

RickBomba
04-27-2003, 07:15 PM
Yep,
There's a good ramp in Galilee, too. Drivin time from us is like 2 hours, but it's worth it if the weather picks up on the way home.
31 miles in 4' chop is an awful long run.
Rick
PS Lobsta, you should take a little trip downtown to Erin's, and I'll set you and whoever else up with apps and dessert. Just ask for me.
Later,
Rick:D

RockLobsta
04-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Rick

Thanks for the invite.......I will come by one of these days. When are you there? I would imagine all the time.....I go by often and tell myself I'm gonna stop. Are you there this week at night? Maybe I'll take my better half and stop in for some chow......

Splashin the boat in the AM... should be a sweeeeeeet day!!

:cool:

RickBomba
04-28-2003, 09:48 AM
I won't be there tonight (splitting wood today). I'll be there from 8am to 11 pm tomorrow. It should be a nice day with the patio wide open!!!
I'll also be there Saturday night this week. Give me a call if you're going to come in and I can stay a tille later Wed-Fri (I usually leave at five).
See you soon,
Rick

RockLobsta
04-28-2003, 09:07 PM
Rick,

Maybe will shoot for Sat as I am working the second shift for the next month or so.......Splashed the boat today.......great day. Saw 4 or 5 dolphins in Boston Harbor!!

Later,

JF

GBOUTDOORS
04-29-2003, 08:18 PM
Rock nice boat hope you like the D/C I love mine and the D/C layout is great for the family too. Bets of both worlds you have all the room you need to fish but if the weather kicks up you have a place to hide from the spray. Good luck and good fishing.

PS the guys are right about going out of R.I. for the shorter ride but I like going out of Westport for a ride with Jane so it would be on good days only. To fish I will most likley run out of R.I to Block.

Clammer
04-29-2003, 08:24 PM
RI is the only way to go ///
not counting the timed saved or gas/ but if the weather turns snotty , you have two choices stay there or make the 11 mile run back / WEstport 31 miles and it gets worse as you get closer alot of guys have lost in at the mouth of the river// That won,t happen in Galiee

.02 ================

RockLobsta
04-29-2003, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the input guys.........