View Full Version : Wet-Suiters Beware

bloocrab
07-21-2011, 05:37 PM
http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/girl-after-shark-attack-i-like-dolphins-better/2064340183/Comcast/popular/?cid=hero_sf (More Shark Attax)

Seems to be more & more attax being reported.

Those short swims, with bleeding, smelly bass hanging off the stringer could get someone nibbled on....:devil2:

What defense is there for something grabbing your leg while you're swimming from a rock to shore with rod in hand and fish entail...I guess the stringed bass might save ya, so if you ain't catchin and stringin, your risk increases.

:buds:

JohnR
07-22-2011, 06:47 AM
What defense is there for something grabbing your leg while you're swimming from a rock to shore with rod in hand and fish entail...
:buds:

Don't swim alone?

Not hearing much as I expect from Chatham / Back Beaches though.

Back Beach
07-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I always keep the fish 15-20' behind me on a tether, which was suggested to me by a friend who does a lot of diving.

If a toothy critter goes for something it will likely be the fish before your leg, just make sure the fish are well away from you and chances of survival will be much better...

toaster816
07-22-2011, 09:51 AM
My buddy who lives in Key West was spearfishing and him and his friend were attacked by a Nurse shark going after their stringer on the way back to the boat. They were poking and lunging at it with their guns to keep it at bay when his friends gun fired into the sharks mouth and out through the gills. He said it wasn't a large fish but he was crapping his pants the entire time. I pooped myself from him just telling me about it.

Fishoholic
07-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Crowd control :kewl:

Fishoholic
07-22-2011, 10:00 AM
My buddy who lives in Key West was spearfishing and him and his friend were attacked by a Nurse shark going after their stringer on the way back to the boat. They were poking and lunging at it with their guns to keep it at bay when his friends gun fired into the sharks mouth and out through the gills. He said it wasn't a large fish but he was crapping his pants the entire time. I pooped myself from him just telling me about it.

they shoulda just payed the land lord a little rent. Nurse sharks are the biggest little puppy's in the sea. Just don't tug their tale :uhuh:

FishnGrega
07-22-2011, 11:09 AM
if you want to add a little humor to it. its almost as though your the teaser and the fish is the lure. wonder what the shark will take the teaser or the lure???

numbskull
07-22-2011, 11:43 AM
I always keep the fish 15-20' behind me on a tether, which was suggested to me by a friend who does a lot of diving.

If a toothy critter goes for something it will likely be the fish before your leg, just make sure the fish are well away from you and chances of survival will be much better...

Sharks eat sunfish?

Goose
07-22-2011, 03:16 PM
i cant remember the last time a fisherman got attacked? anybody??

IMo...someday there will be a shark attack on fisherman in our neck of the woods. who's it gonna be? not me! I take it out of the water and bleed it. i remember those days;)..you pee in ur pants just to feel cooler water at this time of year

GattaFish
07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
There are sharks checking fisherman out all the time.

I was on block fishing a very distant rock and there was a boat in close fishing. Lots of fish that night.

Next day this guy was telling John at twin maples where he was fishing and they had small makos taking fish before they could get them in.... He was the boat in front of where we were.....

was just on MV.. Oak Bluffs monster shark tourney end the 23rd. Lots of oil in the water now..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

agsurfr
07-22-2011, 04:49 PM
There are sharks checking fisherman out all the time.

I was on block fishing a very distant rock and there was a boat in close fishing. Lots of fish that night.

Next day this guy was telling John at twin maples where he was fishing and they had small makos taking fish before they could get them in.... He was the boat in front of where we were.....

They've been there for thousands of years. None of us have any idea how close we have been, whether we've been fishing, surfing, swimming, boogie boarding or just cooling off in the surf.

GattaFish
07-22-2011, 04:51 PM
^^^^... Exactly...

WoodyCT
07-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Buddy of mine saw a kid catch a small, ie baby, mako in Old Harbor B.I. While fishing for snappers back in the '80s.

Another buddy lobsters professionally around Block, and he sees the landlord ALOT.

bloocrab
07-22-2011, 06:30 PM
No one wants to be that odd statistic, ...even though sightings remain low and attacks almost non-existent.
In all honesty, I've thought about it from time to time, especially when attacks or sightings have been reported, locally or not. Yeah, the odds are stocked against it, but I can't say it doesn't cross my mind...particularly during these heat spells and seal smells...

Not worried about getting eaten, but maybe torn/bit in a way that the blood bleeds out of you faster than you can get to safety = pass out = keep bleeding = boredom between no action? = too much of Shark week maybe? = old age/turnin girly-mon = :skulz:

Goose/// Which is more likely? Shark attack or getting a big old trebble hook deeply stuck in the center of the pupil? ... just wouldn't want it to be me is all...,,,ex-land-lubber YOU!!!....missin our porgy orgys bud....:soon:,,,I hope

GattaFish
07-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Another buddy lobsters professionally around Block, and he sees the landlord ALOT.

thats cuz the seals are staying around longer... I have been passing out bunker goo to all my friends.... Lol

redcrbbr
07-23-2011, 08:09 AM
What a way to do a spot burn.

I could see it now after being on all the local news channels.

Googans lined up on the shore, boats stacked like cord wood trying to catch my foot

Jackbass
07-24-2011, 08:03 AM
I am glad Jake was standing on a rock next to me Friday morning and not swimming. He is more likely to harass the sharks though.

Green Light
07-24-2011, 08:24 PM
A fisherman is typically more prepared...diving knife, etc. But, a your girls is shallow water swimming...that's so un-expected.

I have not looked at the data yet...but the trend appears to be that more and more sharks are showing up on the cape each year.

Be safe gents and gals.

Fishoholic
07-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Don't worry guys.. most shark attacks occur in less than 5' of water... oh .. wait :uhuh:

Fishoholic
07-24-2011, 10:04 PM
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/03/18/1225842/457091-shark-at-seaford-beach.jpg

StriperZ
07-25-2011, 04:46 PM
I catch sharks all the time. Dogfish sharks.