View Full Version : Striped-bass gamefish status

american spirit
07-25-2011, 11:17 AM
this might be worthless thread; but i'm wondering if there's been any work in MA/ or entire east coast to make stripers a gamefish. would that really help the population to get back to the 70's or 80's hayday.

Haus
07-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Check out stripersforever.org and like organizations and ju will be able to what is happening in trying to make stripers a gamefish.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

BigFish
07-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Be careful what you wish for!

tattoobob
07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
:lurk:

Can-O-Worns

StriperZ
07-25-2011, 04:36 PM
In NC, they just net them up, whole schools.

afterhours
07-25-2011, 08:54 PM
i support gamefish status for striped bass :soon:.

piemma
07-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Bob Pond tried for 60 years.

Fly Rod
07-26-2011, 03:26 AM
If you really wanted to save the striped bass the government should implement the rule of:

Bringing the size limit back to 36 inches and only one fish per day per angler and once you catch that keeper you can not fish the rest of the day for striped bass.

Those of you that belong to "Stripers For Ever" would hate this rule because you are a selffish group and want to catch many under size fish creating at least 12% mortality rate.

piemma
07-26-2011, 08:57 AM
If you really wanted to save the striped bass the government should implement the rule of:

Bringing the size limit back to 36 inches and only one fish per day per angler and once you catch that keeper you can not fish the rest of the day for striped bass.

Those of you that belong to "Stripers For Ever" would hate this rule because you are a selffish group and want to catch many under size fish creating at least 12% mortality rate.

So I don't really have a problem with your idea except what happens on a boat with 4 guys? Three keep fishing and one just sits. Suppose he's now fishing for Bluefish. How do you enforce the law? Can't personally see how you could make it work.

1 fish 36" been saying that for 10 years now.

Fly Rod
07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
So I don't really have a problem with your idea except what happens on a boat with 4 guys? Three keep fishing and one just sits. Suppose he's now fishing for Bluefish. How do you enforce the law? Can't personally see how you could make it work.

1 fish 36" been saying that for 10 years now.

You can make the law but, with most enviromental laws they are not enforceable. We all know that you can not fish(target) striped bass outside the 3 mile limit. But you can fish for other fish and if you catch one of the millions of bass out there it becomes an incidental catch and release.

They do not inforce the no gaffing law of striped bass.

As for the four people in the boat, you take that person back to shore. And if that happens to be the owner maybe he will have a kind heart and let another take the boat.

We need to sacrifice for the bass. :)

stripermaineiac
07-26-2011, 09:09 PM
The whole issue was settled by the feds when they imposed the moratorium.We wouldn't work together and had too many people lining their pockets at the back door to restraunts and other black market sales to give up the extra bucks till the fishing got to about where it is now.Only a matter of time till the issue is taken from our hands again due to our inability to fix the problem.Few fish anyplace but loads of large fish in a few places. MMMMMMM sounds like the early 80's again.And as back then we stuck out collective heads in the sand instead of fixing the problem.Small consalation though is that the morratorium worked and the stripers sprang back.Maybe we'll get lucky again. Maybe not.