View Full Version : wacky rig on senko worms

american spirit
07-27-2011, 10:57 AM
anyone interested in a brief freshwater bass thread during striper season?

i've been trying to learn some freshwater bass techniques and have had a lot of luck on 3.5"- 4" green pumkin tubes, but can't catch anything on senko worms. does anyone wacky rig em for shore fishing, and how does the retrieve go?

RIROCKHOUND
07-27-2011, 11:03 AM
rig them on an offset worm hook texas style (I guess?)

cast out.
no retrieve. just let sink. lift up off bottom, let sink again. repeat.

never tried 'wacky'

Got Stripers
07-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Rigging is with smaller circle hook, rigged through the middle of the worm, hook is fully exposed. Cast let fall, move slowly forward the worm bends into a U shape, stop retrieve worm straighens out and begins to fall again, adjust speed and cadence, best when fish are in negative mood.

Raven
07-27-2011, 11:14 AM
samo with lizards....bass hate them

typically i'd throw out a black lizzard
and shake it real hard as if i was trying
to shake it right off the hook
(so hook them well for this technique)

at least thirty seconds -NO less
and let it fall....
then watch the line ...have the bail open
and lettum run off with it...
wait a few seconds more
then set the hook....while it's going away

if your throwing crayfish:
hop them
on the bottom in 3 hops-- then stop
3 more hops then stop

rootbeer sluggos with the eagle claw Light hook
makes them glide
but i've caught fish that straightened out those hooks
so change up if your into larger bass
to a true turn hook

most favorite freshwater softbaits are the small
worms or crayfish with the hot red tips
some of my biggest bass 6-8 lbs
were caught on those real small worms

don't forget to use liquid power bait
on your plastics or rubber baits first
before throwing it out there

JohnnySaxatilis
07-27-2011, 11:54 AM
rig them on an offset worm hook texas style (I guess?)

cast out.
no retrieve. just let sink. lift up off bottom, let sink again. repeat.

never tried 'wacky'

Rigging is with smaller circle hook, rigged through the middle of the worm, hook is fully exposed. Cast let fall, move slowly forward the worm bends into a U shape, stop retrieve worm straighens out and begins to fall again, adjust speed and cadence, best when fish are in negative mood.

My friend and I were usin senkos on sunday, i texas rigged, he rigged in the middle. I got a 4# larry and he got a 2# smallie. pepsi challenge style, he swears by the middle rig tho I dont do a ton of freshwater

The Dad Fisherman
07-27-2011, 12:29 PM
5" sluggos on a 3/0 EWG worm hook....rigged Texas style like RIRH said......killer. Darker colors are better for me.....Black/Blue Flake is my favorite.

if you are going to wacky rig them get the O'Rings for them....you'll get a couple more fish per Senko with them.

Senkos are extremely fragile so plan on using a lot....but they work killer.....especially when the water warms up. Toss them by the lily pads and weeds and you will do well

rizzo
07-27-2011, 12:50 PM
If you're trophy hunting, jig n pig and swimbaits/wakebaits are almost unbeatable. No need to over complicate things in my mind. Throw in a live 8" golden shiner under a bobber too if you like live bait fishing.

Same as going for large stripers, moons, winds and conditions are key.

chaz
07-27-2011, 05:39 PM
large jitterbug at night,they slam top water seconds after it hits,

Raven
07-27-2011, 06:46 PM
5" sluggos on a 3/0 EWG worm hook....rigged Texas style like RIRH said......killer. Darker colors are better for me.....Black/Blue Flake is my favorite.:uhuh:

Senkos are extremely fragile so plan on using a lot....but they work killer.....especially when the water warms up. Toss them by the lily pads and weeds and you will do well
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
i like the gary yamamoto worms too especially where there's smallies (not as fragile)
and when i go, i typically say: its either a worm bite,minnow bite, or crayfish bite ....once thats been told to me.... i play with color.

or switch up to crank baits

Jenn
07-27-2011, 07:50 PM
oh hell I love senko fishing. In fact it just about the only time I feel like I know what I am doing on the water! HA!HA!...texas style. wacky style works but not my favorite. cast 'em let the sink all the way then slow twitch all the way in or lift rod tip up then let sink again...ALL the way in

Favorite colors are the root beer with red flake or the brown with green& purple flake (killer)

Green Light
07-27-2011, 09:19 PM
cool thread. good tips.

JoeBass
07-28-2011, 08:45 AM
This morning, before work, I took a few casts on lake Champlain....3 smallies in 10 minutes. All on a surface lure, 2 inches long with a whirly blade on the back. All 3 hit it within the first few twitches.

mackenzie
07-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Instead oif using the O-rings made for wacky rigging I use small black plastic electric zip ties and a weedless hook.. You can get multiple hookups on it.