View Full Version : Lost my fishing buddy today

ElSluggo
07-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Today is a sad day, my grandson moved to AL to live with his mom today. He is 10 1/2 and has been with us almost since birth. He has been my fishing buddy for over 7 years. Fresh salt and kayaking. Never had trouble waking him up or waiting for him and always wanted to stay longer than me, a perfect partner. How I will miss him, I hope it works out well for him and his mom (my stepdaughter).

RIJIMMY
07-28-2011, 11:03 AM
distances can be overcome. make it a point to do so often, life is way to short.

BigBo
07-28-2011, 11:04 AM
That's gonna hurt for a little while. I hope it works out for him. And you as well.
My daughter lives next door with my grandson of the same age. They are going to be moving away in a month or so. Not far like AL, but regardless of how far, I still won't get to be with him everyday as I am now. I'm already feeling the anxiety of the whole situation.

JohnR
07-28-2011, 11:05 AM
distances can be overcome. make it a point to do so often, life is way to short.

Good words.

ES - try to get him up for some good vacations and I hope you can get down to AL to spend time with him. Good Luck :btu:

Fishoholic
07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Good words.

ES - try to get him up for some good vacations and I hope you can get down to AL to spend time with him. Good Luck :btu:

Exactly! There is always summer and spring vacation. I use to go fish with my grandparents every single spring and summer. I'd do anything to do it again. I bet he'll want to do the same. :)

FishermanTim
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
You didn't "lose" him, he just migrated south.
If you and your stepdaughter get along, and there wasn't any bad blood to cause the move, I can't see why you couldn't plan for a couple get-togethers. You could have him visit here during late summer and you could visit him (if possible) during the winter and spring. It will give you both a better appreciation of "long distance" relationships.

Keep the spirit!!

MarshCappa
07-28-2011, 01:05 PM
He sounds like a lucky kid to have a Grandfather like you. I hope everything works out for the best.

Swimmer
07-28-2011, 01:21 PM
You know, his memories that he has with you will draw him back here. You've both have been lucky to have had each other. Just another chapter in your respective books.

Saltheart
07-28-2011, 02:27 PM
I feel your lose ELSluggo. Yes try to convert all the lonely feeling to positive energy to make you and your grandson keep in touch. No better thing in your life than to spend your efforts there. Even very scattered visits over time will keep the bond strong.

Good Luck

knotstable
07-28-2011, 02:40 PM
I feel your pain. Although he is just a plane ride away in warmer winter weather. I lost 3 buddies in 4 months this year and I will never see these guys again. Take advantage of what AL has to share.

ElSluggo
07-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the encouragement we want to give him time to settle in but are planning a visit in Jan. for his birth day.

Hooper
08-02-2011, 11:14 AM

Well said Jimmy, so true