View Full Version : canyon reports

Mr. Sandman
07-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Getting lots of first hand reports. Lots of YFT and some big marlin have been engaged. A slew of boats are headed to the edge tonight/tomorow.
There seems to be larger fish at the tails but loads of smaller fish at west Atlantis. A few BE as well. Lots of talk about the conditions at Hydrographer shaping up in the next week or so.
I will be fishing within 10 mi's of MV tomorrow chasing school tuna and will be looking for another market fish (or two) on Tuesday ( on a friends boat) well east.
My son does not want to go and wants to fish bass off chatham for $$$. Frankly, I don't want to be around other boats. It is hard to please everyone.

What have you been hearing? East or South?

Typhoon
08-01-2011, 06:50 AM
I went Friday/Saturday to Hydro/Welkers. Huge temp break that looked on paper like a home run. Heard several reports of long liners cleaning up at Munson. The reality: Rat yellows, several lazy swords up on top that we tried to stick. Blue sharks making a mess our sword spread.

....and we got the #^&#^&#^&#^& kicked out of us on Friday night. Easy 10 fters.

Didn't see one other boat the entire time.

keeperreaper
08-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Thinking of making the run Friday or Saturday weather permitting.

Mr. Sandman
08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
All the recent reports I have heard show tiny-small yft with the occasional decent yft in the mix. But lots of fish. A few good BE and and few hoo and albacore. Almost everyone is hooking up to large blue marlin but few are landing them. Sharks, whales, dolphins and giant leaping Rays have been seen.
Don't know about the night bite. But I would suggest saving some of those small yft for chunking at night if you can stay awake.
I bet the fishing improves within the week out there.

keeperreaper
08-02-2011, 03:55 AM
Reports of larger yfts in the cooler side of the sharp break and the BE bite seems to be getting better every day.

big jay
08-02-2011, 06:22 AM
I'd be tempted to liveline a couple of those rat yellows.

Mr. Sandman
08-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Just got back from an overnighter at the Fishtails. There was a decent break there and a number of boats from RI and NY there but few did very much. We took a few 40-50# yft a bunch of mahi (10-15#) and had real hook ups with 3 white and 1 blue marlin but got no marlin to the boat, all broke off during the battle.
Otherwise it was a slow trip but we managed to scratch out some success. Heard a couple boat got a few "penguins" (longfin albacore) but no BE or Hoo that I heard of . Aways a lot of fun.

RIROCKHOUND
08-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the report Jim.
We're looking at Friday-Sat.
PM me if you are heading out and I'll pass you our info...

fish4striper
08-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Got an invite on the Seahabit ,we hit Oceanographer fri-sat and limited out on yellowfin, most in 40-60 lbs, cpl bigger. Worked the area with Akula and they did well also on yellowfin, 1 wahoo and 1 white. Great trip.

taJon
08-09-2011, 07:38 AM
great work Jeff