View Full Version : Washer Dryer feedback

Raider Ronnie
08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Got around 25 years from my Maytag washer and Maytag (gas) dryer.
Last year replaced washer with new Whirlpool Duet wash machine.
Now it's time to replace dryer.
Gonna get the matching Whirlpool Duel dryer.
(anyone else notice no more commercials with the Maytag repair guy with nothing to do because they hardly ever needed repair, that guy is busy as hell because they are now made in some 3rd world country)
Just wondering how far electric has come compared to gas.
Seem stores stock mostly electric and gas is special order.
Opinions / feedback ?
Thanks

tysdad115
08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I have the front loading gas Whirlpool. Had to special order it 5 years ago. Its the only item in the house that I havent had to fix. I hear no issues with it (Im not allowed to do laundry) from my wife. It appears to be very worth the price we paid back then. I did just pull the cover and clean the lint/exhaust pipe and chamber. I would recommend this machine.
I have had issues with the matching washer machine (also front load) the pump failed due to small items being left in pockets getting pulled into pump taking out impeller and some other small problems. It was rather interesting taking that on completely apart until I found what was wrong. Just make sure no marbles find their way into the machine and you will be ok. :wall:

Saltheart
08-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I think in long run gas appliances are better products. Ytu to buy through your gas company. The appliance can usually have a better warrantee if bought through the gas company and or they sell you a service plan.

I have always had a service plan on my gas home furnace and until they stopped offering , on the home hot water heater. I was ab;e to get a longer warrantee on a home gas hot water heater buy buying the exact item through the gas company instead of direct.

Overall , Americans by a wide margin have shown they want low low entry prices. Qualiy is second. I think for many its a gamble. Lucky if you win , really bad if you lose. I'll go low low price for something that doesn't matter much. If a floor fan craps out I go without or get another cheapo but I do not want to lose heat in the winter and for that security , I pay more and I carry the service plan (I carry very few service plans , most are a waste of money).

I also think that with the hiogher cost of the valves and manifolds in gas appliances , the total package is also upgrade with better parts that give the whole system higher reliability.

National grid took over Valley Gas in my area. You could always buy all gas appliances through Valley gas and have the iron clad garantee. I know when National Grid took over they stopped appliance sales but they did recently add back hot water heaters so who knows what else. Worth checking into.