View Full Version : Nantuckett

Notaro
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Can anyone give me some pointers about fishing there? I will be goign there with my friend to meet another friend for some fishing.I won't be driving a 4x4 and etc. I won't hire a guide, too due to the budget, but I would like to find some fish and catch there this weekend. Our friend's wife is having a birthday shinding there. I don't knwo the island very well, but unless one of you guys are staying there and would like to meet up with me and do some fishing. I have my own light tackle and surf gears. PM me with the details.

Thanks.

bassmaster
08-02-2011, 01:02 PM
that place is round so u cant get lost

Notaro
08-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey BM!! What's up?? Yeah? Do I need to wear korkers or can I just wade in my swimming shorts and fish around the island?

bassmaster
08-02-2011, 01:08 PM
i want you to wear shorts and chum the water with bloo fish. dont wory about any big fins u see ahahahaha
shorts dude i guess. been there once and it was juicy water cant rember names but there was this bar on the side of the island where bonito bar is on a chart. and great point seems loke a nice place to send an ell driftin out in at night I dug that...

Notaro
08-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Alright, bro. I'll check on the map.

Swimmer
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Bassmaster dude, you've surfaced

numbskull
08-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I've not been there in years, but seals are likey a problem down at Smith point (were BM is sending you).

There is a big bar/structure a Miacomett that might be worth a stab.

On the north side guys would fish from the harbor (you can drift eels at brant point) along jetties beach, all the way down to Madaket. It is shallow and bomber/needle territory.

I'd think big bluefish could be had from shore anywhere from the old naval base east.

Hitch a ride out to great point and you are in classic surfcasting territory as well.

Notaro
08-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I've not been there in years, but seals are likey a problem down at Smith point (were BM is sending you).

There is a big bar/structure a Miacomett that might be worth a stab.

On the north side guys would fish from the harbor (you can drift eels at brant point) along jetties beach, all the way down to Madaket. It is shallow and bomber/needle territory.

I'd think big bluefish could be had from shore anywhere from the old naval base east.

Hitch a ride out to great point and you are in classic surfcasting territory as well.

I see. No korkers are needed then. Should I don any wader while fishing at night? I am hoping to avoid wearing one while going into the surf because it's going to be hot and so on. Those spots, I'll hit them. Good thing I have BM's needles. Never go without them. I would like to toss an eel, but I don't about trying to keep them alive at this point, Numbskull.

Diggin Jiggin
08-02-2011, 05:37 PM
It's all sand, no need for korkers. Way too many seals at great point to fish the rip and they have had it fenced off the last 2-3 years but there are still plenty of places up there to catch bluefish.

In town jetties (on the harbor side wade out along the edge of the eel grass beds ) or brant point (deep no wading) are easy to fish. South shore madaket to nobadeer can be ok, just gotta do some walking and find some bars and points. There's surf all along on that side so you will get a little wet without waders.

Way more bluefish than bass this time of year...

JohnnySaxatilis
08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
I just got back from a few trips to the island, my parents rent a cottage on smiths point for the month of july. My father and I plugged that beach like 4 days a week for a month straight on both sides day and night. didnt get one fish. Muskeget island to the west of tuckernuck, west of smiths point is absolutely loaded with seals and pups after this recent population explosion. You can count endless pods going by the beach during the day. Of course july is the worste month to fish the island, and I'm sure there are fish to be had right place right time and We had for the most part really nice weather as well. But It was dead as dead when we were there. We werent able to hit Great Point becuase of the seperate 4wheel sticker which is porbly ur best bet, but I heard tales of ppl catching fish on the east and south side beaches. BTW we hit a few of those at sunset too lol. wont need korkers. just a place to rest your feet after

Monty
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Hey Joseph, you'll be there for shark week.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Notaro
08-03-2011, 12:02 AM
It's all sand, no need for korkers. Way too many seals at great point to fish the rip and they have had it fenced off the last 2-3 years but there are still plenty of places up there to catch bluefish.

In town jetties (on the harbor side wade out along the edge of the eel grass beds ) or brant point (deep no wading) are easy to fish. South shore madaket to nobadeer can be ok, just gotta do some walking and find some bars and points. There's surf all along on that side so you will get a little wet without waders.

Way more bluefish than bass this time of year...

I can endure a bit of walking, but we are going to take a ferry at 7 AM to Nantucket from Chatham and will be staying there for a day. I will be riding a bike canal style. Any particular baits I gotta match up with?

I just got back from a few trips to the island, my parents rent a cottage on smiths point for the month of july. My father and I plugged that beach like 4 days a week for a month straight on both sides day and night. didnt get one fish. Muskeget island to the west of tuckernuck, west of smiths point is absolutely loaded with seals and pups after this recent population explosion. You can count endless pods going by the beach during the day. Of course july is the worste month to fish the island, and I'm sure there are fish to be had right place right time and We had for the most part really nice weather as well. But It was dead as dead when we were there. We werent able to hit Great Point becuase of the seperate 4wheel sticker which is porbly ur best bet, but I heard tales of ppl catching fish on the east and south side beaches. BTW we hit a few of those at sunset too lol. wont need korkers. just a place to rest your feet after

Aww, man. Damn -__- I am guessing that August will be much worse than July. Lol. I do hope that I will be able to find fishes on the island regardless. Also, I pray that I will have a sufficient time to enjoy and catch them.

Hey Joseph, you'll be there for shark week.

Really???! I haven't seen that show this season. Maybe I'll catch a 15 minutes of fame on it. Hahaha.

Ditch Jigging and JohnnySaxatilis, what lures would you guys suggest me to carry? I'll take a pic of what I plan to pack then y'all can tell me which to exclude and include this and that if it won't take much of your time.

UserRemoved
08-03-2011, 06:31 AM
The Mosquitos there have Flesh Eating Bacteria. Make sure you wear spray :D

JohnnySaxatilis
08-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Ditch Jigging and JohnnySaxatilis, what lures would you guys suggest me to carry? I'll take a pic of what I plan to pack then y'all can tell me which to exclude and include this and that if it won't take much of your time.

actually im told august gets better with the blues as the month goes on. If you fish there you know 90% of the poeple you see will be throwing orange/neon rangers.... I'd pack some 2-3oz pencils, and some heavy tin like kastmasters or hopkins, polaris, bucktails, things that go far, the surf can be big

Notaro
08-03-2011, 10:48 AM
The Mosquitos there have Flesh Eating Bacteria. Make sure you wear spray :D

Very funny. >_< Don't jinx my trip! lol.

actually im told august gets better with the blues as the month goes on. If you fish there you know 90% of the poeple you see will be throwing orange/neon rangers.... I'd pack some 2-3oz pencils, and some heavy tin like kastmasters or hopkins, polaris, bucktails, things that go far, the surf can be big

Sweet, I think I'm going to get a neon ranger. So far I have an orange one. I have one AH 3 oz yellow pencil. I hope that it's sufficient. I definitely got enough tins.

Green Light
08-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Good luck! Post some pics when you get back ;)

Notaro
08-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Aight, I'll try and will do. Thanks, y'all. I'll need to buy a map and a cheap polarized sunglasses to help me to get throughout the day. Hell yeah! Canal then Nantucket...what could beat that?!?~ :D

Mr. Sandman
08-04-2011, 05:43 AM
I was out there twice this year, once for an annual surf fishing event (MV vs ACK) Since you get teamed with a local for the event, you get the skinny on the local spots.
I would try great point if you can get a ride...it is a really long walk otherwise and most of the point is closed due to seals. I found that place best at dawn. The fishing can be very good at times but the seals are so numerous and HUGE that fishing can be frustrating. Also the inside points along Cotue are very good as well but are difficult to get to without 4wd.

BTW, this time of year I would target Bonito in the morning on light rods with small metal. IMO the best place for them would be GP or the cut at smith point.

There are a couple decent access roads around the airport that get you down to some productive night time bass stretches. You can park/walk those easily. Look on a map. I picked up a few bass there one night and missed a mini blitz (lasted only an short while, but everyone hooked up)

Madaket is also a place you can walk to. Looks fantastic but I have not caught anything significant there (yet) at least in recent years. A long time ago I had a fantastic night down there.

Stop into a both tackle shops and buy a lure or two and ask for the latest scoop. They will talk to you and give you some good current leads

JohnnySaxatilis
08-04-2011, 09:04 PM
IMO the best place for them would be GP or the cut at smith point.

Madaket is also a place you can walk to. Looks fantastic but I have not caught anything significant there (yet) at least in recent years. A long time ago I had a fantastic night down there.

Stop into a both tackle shops and buy a lure or two and ask for the latest scoop. They will talk to you and give you some good current leads

The cut filled in last year sandman, we have a cottage on smiths point. Its been dead this past month like i said in the earlier post. It pains me to say, but I wouldnt go there lookin for anything :( like i said, and gets reinforced by sandmans comments, southeast and east facing beaches have been the best. good luck again noturo, hope you do well!

Notaro
08-04-2011, 09:59 PM
I was out there twice this year, once for an annual surf fishing event (MV vs ACK) Since you get teamed with a local for the event, you get the skinny on the local spots.
I would try great point if you can get a ride...it is a really long walk otherwise and most of the point is closed due to seals. I found that place best at dawn. The fishing can be very good at times but the seals are so numerous and HUGE that fishing can be frustrating. Also the inside points along Cotue are very good as well but are difficult to get to without 4wd.

BTW, this time of year I would target Bonito in the morning on light rods with small metal. IMO the best place for them would be GP or the cut at smith point.

There are a couple decent access roads around the airport that get you down to some productive night time bass stretches. You can park/walk those easily. Look on a map. I picked up a few bass there one night and missed a mini blitz (lasted only an short while, but everyone hooked up)

IF I can get a RIDE to those classic surfcasting places, then I would, but I don't know who's going to be there this weekend. Although, it would be great if someone here on that island would call me up. I'll be bringing my canal bike and cycle around the island.

Bonito?!? Wonderful....I gotta bring my 7.6 ft light tackle rod ;)

I will be arriving at the ferry in Nantucket around 9 AM...I believe that it's the correct time for my friend's wife to start celebrating her birthday on the island. I doubt that I will be able to sneak into the dawn action because we will be leaving in the evening on Saturday and returning to Chatham.

I'll check out the shops, but do you have any recommendation for me to stop by a local shop? Email me at this address, JTien1983@gmail.com because I am going to leave for the canal soon. Then I will be heading to Chatham around late noon.

The cut filled in last year sandman, we have a cottage on smiths point. Its been dead this past month like i said in the earlier post. It pains me to say, but I wouldnt go there lookin for anything :( like i said, and gets reinforced by sandmans comments, southeast and east facing beaches have been the best. good luck again noturo, hope you do well!

Thanks, man. I do need it! If I don't catch anything, at least I've tried and get to know the island. Hopefully, I'll catch something.