View Full Version : Found on another site!!!

David
01-18-2001, 08:30 PM
Charley Levine joined Ned Kittredge and I for a few hours of over-winter
striper fishing in the Upper Basin of the THAMES RIVER in Norwich, CT
Weds. morning. Marina Park launching ramp & river ice were absent, but
fishing
was slow due perhaps to recent rains. Water temps were near freezing
(33F) but air temps were moderate (40F). Fish ranged in size from schoolies
to one nice 12 pounder caught by C. Levine, with a total of 29 stripers
T/R for the ALS. Several boats light tackle vertical jigging the basin
commented on a relatively slow action as well.
Capt. Al Anderson

(SNESA) Southern New England Saltwater Anglers
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
snesa-unsubscribe@egroups.com

JohnR
01-18-2001, 09:08 PM
Hey David - good info. A couple from here have been making little jaunts over to the Thames and getting some fish over the rails too... Can't wait to get down there soon myself and catch a little bassin...

BTW - How did you do with that reel??

Got Stripers
01-19-2001, 09:06 AM
I was there Wednesday and watched that guy troll back and forth with wire line and umbrellas with plastic, quite sporting....lol. Nothing would get my blood going more than cranking in the wire on a stout rod, with a 2 lb schoolie suffering on the other end. I'm sorry but I don't get the draw of that, it's like the guy MUST CATCH FISH and any method is acceptable. I think that also might put undo stress on the fish, especially if your cranking in a rig with a few fish which aren't released immediately.

If they caught 29 fish between the 3 of them, then I don't feel too bad with my 10 on light tackle. Much more fun and sporting when your talking 2-5 lb fish. I'm also getting those fish back in the water quickly and not putting any undo stress on them.

Was hoping to go this weekend, but the weather doesn't look promising, tight lines.

Saltheart
01-19-2001, 09:24 AM
In their defense , they are tagging all fish for ALS. Perhaps they feel the more fish they tag the better and thus the overkill techniques? Since they pay for each tag themselves and we all share any info that the tag may provide in the future , perhaps he's not so bad.