View Full Version : The ups & downs of chartering

Raider Ronnie
08-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Despite this economy we are having a very good year with charters.
Yesterday was a bit of an aggravating day though.
Got this guy who's sort of a family friend (kids play sports together)
wants to book a tuna trip. Asks me weeks ago what the rates are through an email and I reply with the link to my rates page.
Yesterday he sends me emails saying only 4 guys and can we negotiate the cost. I tell him if there is only 4 guys I will give the mate the day off and he can save that cost and that they don't negotiate the price of fuel at the dock, slip cost, gear, ect....
Still not good enough, wants a better deal and that he goes striper fishing with his buddies down the cape every year.
I told he "Please go book with that boat again" I had to bite my tongue from telling him to go f^^^ himself.
Today I get home, was outside for a while as I had a repair guy working on my ice machine (spending more $ )
Come inside my house and my wife had a package on the table for me that came in today. (pic attached)
It was from a repeat client from way upstate N.Y..
A few weeks back we had a great day bass fishing inside the harbor, even though they paid me for a full day offshore trip and tipped the mate very well and they booked another trip coming back for the fall run.
As I'm with the guy working on the ice machine I take a call from a guy from Worcester and book the day the "family friend" wanted the tuna trip !

BigBo
08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
When you have the "right clients" it kind of makes it all worthwhile doesn't it Ronnie?

MakoMike
08-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Glad to hear you're booking, my business is waaay off.

Raven
08-05-2011, 12:52 PM
i'll betcha someone calls that number

Rip Runner
08-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm getting a good deal of charters this year, but more half day trips than ever before. I'm starting to get more corporate trips though, did a 3 boat trip yesterday and we all had a great time.

Sea Dangles
08-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Did you negotiate the price of your boat when you bought it Ronnie?
Do you give senior discounts?
military discounts?
How about AAA?

Raider Ronnie
08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Did you negotiate the price of your boat when you bought it Ronnie?
Do you give senior discounts?
military discounts?
How about AAA?

Chris,
No on all 4, though I'm not sure what AAA is.
Not sure you are being serious or sarcastic !

Here is a portion of one of the guys emails.

"you can't expect them to go to the standard web page quote $1k and not ask if you can do better in this day and age, especially when they are all Wrentham residents that either know you or your kids from in town sports and hoped that you might treat them a little different than the average customer off the street,"

BigFish
08-05-2011, 10:55 PM
With friends like that who needs enemies? Tell him to get bent!!!:fury:

spence
08-06-2011, 08:10 AM
As a rule I never ask for discounts from friends or acquaintances when it's their livelihood. I also try to not bother friends who may be professionals to help with tasks related to their jobs that I should be paying for...

Buying glass from Nebe is my only exception :hihi:

-spence

striperman36
08-06-2011, 08:11 AM
And whatever they do I'm sure they'll willing give you a discount without even asking

luds
08-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Nothing wrong with seeing if you can negotiate the price or asking if there is any flexibility though I probably would not do it if I new the person fairly well. Making a comment about it after that is something completely different and completely disrespectful and shows that guys true colors in my opinion.

massgc
08-09-2011, 05:44 AM
When dealing with friends I always say I pay full price or I'll go elsewhere.

Too uncomfortable any other way.

Typhoon
08-09-2011, 05:55 AM
You have to have black belt in jewjitsu to negotiate with friends.

Just wrong.

JohnnyD
08-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Sounds like the ups and downs of running any business and having clients. Headaches and idiots no matter what you do. Something definitely to be said about good clients that keep coming back. Make life so much easier.

MarshCappa
08-09-2011, 09:42 AM
What an effing TOOL! You did better than me biting your tongue! Hey, where's the attached pic from the NY client? Glad you booked that tuna date with someone that appreciates your talents and knows the value of what you bring to the table on your charters.

FishermanTim
08-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Sure it's OK to "ask" if there is a way to knock the price down a bit, but if you seriously have to ask, you can't afford the trip!
We all know that what you expect to pay and what you end up paying are usually very different due to the "incidentals" that always pop up! (You know, ice, food, beverages etc...)

I would ask and then accept whatever the results would be, knowing that this is not just a "weekend hobby" for you, but work.
Would anyone be willing to negotiate their paycheck for a weeks work? Would this guy?

It's always good to know that you have a good customer base that knows what you do, how you do it, and respects you for the work that you put in on every trip!

Tell the other guy to buy his own boat, ask for a discount and see how long he waits for hell to freeze over!