View Full Version : Anyone else see this off of Salem on Friday?

Big Game
08-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Went out fishing with Moses and Elmo on Friday and we came across this about 2 miles SE of the 101 off of Salem.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sYBR0NFo6QQ/Tj6MFb5aDAI/AAAAAAAAB9g/NS0mIpgqeQM/s640/DSC01199.JPG

Looked to be about a 45' cruiser....no hull numbers, no name visible on the stern. If you look to the right of the picture where the stern was, you can see a sofa that will give you some perspective as to the size of this.

The debris field when we got there was pretty tight, but by the time we left it was probably a 1/2 mile wide, so whatever happened to it happened just before we arrived on scene.

It appears it was an old derelict boat that someone scuttled. There were sections of the boat that were blown apart. The fiberglass hardtop was 100+ yards away from the main vessel and there was a LOT of debris in the water.

Here was the hardtop....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--EIljwLvQ_A/Tj6MFtR9bEI/AAAAAAAAB9k/o1ngB9nICys/s640/DSC01202.JPG

Called USCG Boston and they sent their Guardian Jet out to take some photos. They also reported an oil slick that they could see from the air (which wasn't as noticeable on the water).

We spent an hour on scene relaying info back to the CG and trying to find a name on the vessel, but never found anything. No CG boat ever came on scene while we were there, so I'm not sure if they were going to tow it in or not....but DEFINITELY a navigational hazard.

BTW....the NWC was dead. No whales, no birds...we fished from the NWC down to the Double L's and over to the Rockpile. We tried jigging, drifting live bait, trolling bars....and other than some nice cod off the bottom we got nothing. I hope things turn around out there at some point.

Elmo
08-08-2011, 09:38 PM
After seeing something like this out there on Friday (expecting to be retrieving bodies), and then just reading JackK (aka Kevin's) post about their boat sinking off MV in seconds, I am freaked out!! I am supposed to have a Plymouth flats day with some family on Saturday but part of me just wants to stay off the water.......