View Full Version : brick patio question

american spirit
08-13-2011, 09:09 AM
in the process now. one question:
i've had a recommendation to lay down some blocks around the perimeter so that i can glue down the last bricks. apparently this might keep everything "locked in" and avoid people walking off the patio and kicking off the last bricks.

i've also heard you can just put in that metal landscape edging to hold everything in. the patio will essentially be level with my lawn or 1 inch above.

do i really need to to the block perimeter? or is some landscape edge and the polymere sand in between the joints good?

spence
08-13-2011, 09:39 AM
I don't think it really matters, all you need is something to push against but it needs to be solid. The quality edging I'd think would work fine but nothing flimsy.

If I was to do a perimeter of bricks I might even do two rows...it would look better.

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
08-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Take a walk around town and look at what other patios look like and take some notes of what you notice works....best way

iamskippy
08-13-2011, 09:54 AM
you can mortar the outside ridge and then use the sand over it to make it look constant, just mortar half way up the bricks. that will lock them right in for sure.

Raven
08-13-2011, 10:06 AM
the bigger the block

the less they move

capesams
08-13-2011, 09:06 PM
No need for blocks or edging of any kind if the bricks are up against the grass..my brick patio is 2 years old now and seen plenty of action without a brick out of place..even where folks step half off the grass an half on the edge of the bricks..with only beach sand between the bricks to hold them in.