View Full Version : What happened??

JohnR
01-18-2001, 09:42 PM
Just had a brain cramp and realized that Ditch's favorite buddy Patrick hasn't been around. I wonder if he got a job... :o

Slipknot
01-18-2001, 09:48 PM
I also noticed that a while ago but didn't want to bring it up.

Jenn
01-19-2001, 12:17 AM
you know as odd as it may sound..I was thinking that myself...it HAS been awful quiet here......hmmm.....job? no I am sure he'd let us know!!! :'(

STEVE IN MASS
01-19-2001, 07:39 AM
I made the same comment to Mr. Kav yesterday. Perhaps he is working for the Bush Administration. No...probably for Hillary ;)

Mike P
01-19-2001, 08:25 AM
I guess Patrick has ditched us for his new buds over at Wally World, aka njstriper.com He was there yesterday at 11:35 AM, as documented by this post:

Patrick the JettyJockey
Member posted 01-18-2001 11:35 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fin-S fish in just about every size. Fin-S Shad work well too.
Sassy Shads rule too.

Any question it's our Patrick ? :D

I certainly wish they'll replace the "Ask Fish" forum with the new "Ask JJ" column--and I'm not joking when I say it would be a step in the right direction.

Patrick
01-20-2001, 01:28 AM
Guess who's back!

After my short hiatus, I am back. I couldn't remember my password or login name so I had to make a new one. Much to my chagrin, I had to tweak my email address a little.

I wrote John some long email with all these funny things but maybe it got deleted because he didn't recognize my email address.

Hey Mike P, I missed you buddy! Any chance I can become the Connecticut Forum Moderator on SOL? HA HA! I miss my SOL family.

My other idea for SOL is a Daignault bashing forum. That would be fun.

And no I'm not working for the fascist or the ice queen. :) Who is Mr. Kav? Is he your boss or something? Do you normally all talk about me? Maybe I could give you some topics you can discuss pertaining to me.

Yeah Mikey, I've been going to Walt's board. Thought I would teach the kiddies a thing or two about fishing. You know me and my charity work... Between charity work and bagging chicks I've been pretty busy. You know how it is. Ha
No job Jenn but I'm on my way!

Mike P
01-20-2001, 03:00 AM
Hey, little buddy, wassup? Who's this Daignault you want to bash? Leave my fellow swamp canaries alone.

CT forum's wide open, last I heard. Don't forget, last time they put the question to the voters, I gave you a thumbs-up. Shows you how much pull I have around the joint, huh? ;) You gotta plead your case to the guy at the top, mon ami.

Wally World's a trip, ain't it? They're cute over there, lots of holding hands and singing "We Are the World". Clues are in short supply, though, you have to admit, am I right? How's Dr Fish, the in-house "scientist" who fields questions and gives advice even you know is miles off-base? Remember this gem: "Why would anyone want a rod that can throw more than 5 oz?" Don't you love Walt's on-line tackle shop? I can see his ad slogan now--"A K-Mart selection at tackle shop prices".

Patrick
01-20-2001, 04:16 AM
The NJ Forum is so so. A lot of begginers on there asking for help. Most of it is nonsense though. I don't read that Ask Fish thing. Most of it is stuff I really don't care about. I'll toss my two cents in on general topics like Soft plastics or interline rods but I keep my nose out of the NJ questions. Don't want to alienate people. lol That is quite an impressive tackle shop though. That's where I get my snoopy bobbers and Zebco spincasters.

Now that Daignault guy. Bahhh... It's not so much him that bothers me, it's his forum groupies. People ask the most inane crap I have ever read. Questions that anyone that has been the least bit successful could answer. In my opinion, his forum should be used for questions about his writings. No one but him could answer those questions.

But people insist on writing in about how to fish beach structure, casting a conventional and landing a big fish in the surf. Anyone with experience in that area could answer the questions but if you do before Frank, he gets all mad and whines like a baby. Those questions belong in the Main Forum. If Frank decides to grace the thread with his presence, and put his spin on it, fine. Let's not act like he is the only one who can spot a sandbar. Other than that, Frank comes off a little conceited. If he is or not, I don't care, but if he doesn't realize his tone, he isn't too skilled in writing.
That site is so burnt. Even Bobbo doesn't post on there.

As for SOL, I do sorta miss it. A lot of good topics I would have liked to have jumped on. That last vote, I don't know about that. I would have liked a recount and I think we should have counted the pregnant chads. Those butterfly ballots can be a little tricky. :D Anyways, nothing I can do about that. I wrote Tim a few emails about random stuff but no response. <shrug> If they got deleted or I know you guys had some problems with the server change I dunno. I would be interested to see what the outcome of the new vote would be.

Sincerely,

Joe Shyster, Yale Law Class of 1992

Mike P
01-20-2001, 09:21 AM
I figured that was one of the threads you would have loved to jump in on :D ;D

Mike P, NOT the Striped Bass World Record Holder.

If you can't go to SOL, I can bring a little of it over here for you. Thumbs up or down on the Van Staals? You still in the market at these new prices?

Nice little bit of analysis on the SS/FD thing, too.

Patrick
01-20-2001, 01:47 PM
I don't even know what they are trying to do at Van Staal. Prices were already quite steep as they were. Then the 400 came out and I lost all respect for them. Two fixed bails on an offshore reel? What's with that?
The reason I wanted one was for vanity. I admit it. The reel has such a presence to it that when you see a guy using one, you know he isn't just some guy that comes out once a year.(Am I agreeing with Ron Kuby?) I have given a VS a crank or two and it was impressive. I also have given stradics and sustains a reel as well and they felt just as good. I am in the market for a sustain now. All the shimano reels that I have used had great feeling drags.
VS will buckle under at some point. Their best feature is a life long warrantee but at 50 bucks a year? If you crack that case open yourself, you could save money and buy a new reel in a few years. I have had my Penn 6500 for 4 years I think and in that total time, I have put maybe 20 bucks into it and it still feels like new. One time it was the anti-reverse and yoke, the next time it was just the felt seal washer in the handle plus grease. 50 bucks a year? I don't think so.
Someone will pay those prices but it's not going to be me.

And I wonder if McReynolds really does that. Name dropping in one thing that really annoys me, but dropping your own is the most pathetic thing I ever heard. Even from those stories that D'Amico wrote, I didn't like the sound of that guy. I promise when I catch my world record bass, I will keep myself humbled.

JohnR
01-22-2001, 12:12 PM
HI PATRICK!! HOW THE HECK ARE YA??

" Between charity work and bagging chicks I've been pretty busy. " Just as eloquent as always I see...

I received your e-mail but have been away for a few days so I only had very limited time to access the web... The problems you were refering to, if you can take a screen shot and e-mail them to me I'd like to take a look, for your sake and for others. Also please tell me the exact rev of your IE browser... Thanks...

JJ I'm sure that Bill would appreciate your well wishes for Alisson - I'll pass that along.

" The reel has such a presence to it that when you see a guy using one, you know he isn't just some guy that comes out once a year " Come on Patrick - don't but a VS jsut because you think you'll look good with it and therefore gain instant competance and respectability - Jesus Christo, three months ago you were celebrating your first major success with eels landing that monster fish. I don't think there are too many overnight superstars in anything, let alone surfcasting. Please take this as advice from the elderly ( :P ) and not a anti-Patrick nasty-gram. The qualities that make anglers sharpies are not mastered in the span of a couple years and no offense, you ain’t there yet. A VS might mean someone is serious (or foolishly redistributing wealth) and it is a good reel, but please don't equate a reel with competence in the surf. That high degree of competence comes after many years, often decades of treks on the shoreline or into the rips that you and I don't have. I consider myself to be decent and competent but a sharpie like you, not yet. Sometimes you try to come across as the most knowledgeable teenaged fisherman that ever lived, but you are not (again this is NOT a Bash-Patrick thread). You turn a lot of people off with that (and entertain others). You often show a responsible willingness to help other people and I think you are a decent kid when your ego isn’t in control. Find a little humility, will ya. High time to grow up, or continue to be the butt of many threads.

Now that my little sermon is over, welcome back :o Patrick – and I do mean that.

Patrick
01-22-2001, 02:04 PM
John,
I wasn't saying that just because someone has a VS makes them an overnight superstar. What I was saying was that a VS is not a reel that just the average joe that goes once a month would buy but I can understand why I was misunderstood. I wasn't just going to buy it for the looks. I suppose you could consider VS one of the Rolexes of spinning reels. Some people pay 50 grand for a rolex. Why? Not only because it looks good, not only because it keeps flawless time, but also because the name says Rolex. Vain? A little. But some people enjoy form and function. Never said I was a pro.

That between charity work and bagging chicks line was sarcasm. I couldn't "bag a chick" if my life depended on it. lol

That sure sounded like a "bash patrick" post. Sorta like when people say to someone, "No offense, but I think you are an idiot".
That was surely pretty mean.

JohnR
01-22-2001, 02:51 PM
My most sorta humble apologies, I really wasn’t trying to be mean just maybe give a little advice in a non-Orwellian big-brotherish way. If I wanted to say that you are an idiot I would phrase that as “Patrick, you’re an idiot” or that you are suffering from a very bad case of Optical Rectumitis. I don’t think you are an idiot, I just think you just might be a more decent fellow than as you come across as half the time. Comprende? I was often obnoxious in my early days until I was on the receiving end of some dope slaps and reality checks. On the same page now?

Buy the VS because you know it is a heck of a reel AND because the way it performs AND if you want to pay for the name. Just do me a favor and don’t put it on a stinko rod ‘cause you are broke and busted :P . Make sure you save enough to at least build a decent rod for it…

I’m still waiting to see if they ever build that conventional that rumors have been speaking of for the last three years :o … ‘course it will probably retail for $500 and I couldn’t afford to kick that kind of money for a reel.

How is that for friendly, unnasty banter :P

Jenn
01-22-2001, 11:26 PM
500 dollars for a reel? I generally am not "cheap" when it comes to my "toys" but for gosh sakes thats a whole lotta cashola! Well it is if you're just an average Joe trying to make a living, trying to pay the bills and hoping to someday buy or build your own home!

Patrick please listen to what people are trying to say! everyone likes to have nice things (and I have a FEW) but sometimes I kick myself for not saving for the one thing that I want the most! I'lll wrap this up right now ......RENTING SUCKS! Go buy yourself a nice reel for a portion of the dough and take the difference and stash it away in the bank!you'll thank me someday!