View Full Version : Finally a ZB.........

Striper_Haven_03
08-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Well I finally had a chance to go out and purchase the 25 and I am very,very pleased although I have had one problem when fishing. I know I will take a pounding from you guys on this, but I bought the bailed version and 4 different times, during the cast, the line go hung up on the bail and of course the eel was gone. Please keep in mind I made about 150-200 casts that night so its a very small percentage but still think its shoudnt happen with a $1k reel. I re-enacted this in the picture below. What you think causes this, should I bring this problem to ZB? Has anyone had a similar experience? Maybe should have went with dual rollers and just learned to fish it. If it helps I was fishing 25lb YZ Hybrid.

-Fireman

tattoobob
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
I think it is something you will get used to looking for before you cast, It's a new reel and figuring out the ins and outs of it will take time

Rockport24
08-15-2011, 04:47 PM
yeah I agree it shouldn't happen, but it could be as simple as just positioning the bail in a certain way before the cast.

I think fishing with a bail just brings these types of issues, people always complained about the bail closing on Penns, but I never had an issue, just because I must have been doing it differently....

tattoobob
08-15-2011, 05:00 PM
people always complained about the bail closing on Penns, but I never had an issue, just because I must have been doing it differently....

I don't believe you

Striper_Haven_03
08-15-2011, 05:09 PM
By the way seems too happen after about 15-20 yards of line are off the spool

Saltheart
08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
yeah I agree it shouldn't happen, but it could be as simple as just positioning the bail in a certain way before the cast.

I think fishing with a bail just brings these types of issues, people always complained about the bail closing on Penns, but I never had an issue, just because I must have been doing it differently....

The bail closing on Penns has everything to do with where the bail is during the cast. You discover this very quickly.

Your problem is puzzling (from the pic). Good luck finding a solution. I agree for $1k it shouldn,t do that!

WESTPORTMAFIA
08-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Another happy customer!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

JohnR
08-15-2011, 05:29 PM
I fish the bailess and was worried at first, now a bailed reel feels wrong. Is that hook that is catching the line the same on both sides or just that one?

I would recommend the bailess - you'll get used to it in a night or two. I've caught the line rollers maybe 4-5 times in 15-25,000 something casts.

Rockport24
08-15-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't believe you

well, you're right, it happened a bunch of times, but I was able to figure it out and not junk the reel like most people did!

Striper_Haven_03
08-15-2011, 05:54 PM
John - That hook is only one one side, the other side is roller the line sits on when bail is engaged and has no hook

Striper_Haven_03
08-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Overall this reel is solid and still think I made the right choice. During 2 trips last week caught fish in the 20-25lb range with one of those 25lbers that think you have much larger on...drag is very,very smooth.

Fishing tonight so see if it happens then. After looking at it I think they need to round that "hook" out a bit, but Im not a reel builder.

GregW
08-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Well I finally had a chance to go out and purchase the 25 and I am very,very pleased although I have had one problem when fishing. I know I will take a pounding from you guys on this, but I bought the bailed version and 4 different times, during the cast, the line go hung up on the bail and of course the eel was gone. Please keep in mind I made about 150-200 casts that night so its a very small percentage but still think its shoudnt happen with a $1k reel. I re-enacted this in the picture below. What you think causes this, should I bring this problem to ZB? Has anyone had a similar experience? Maybe should have went with dual rollers and just learned to fish it. If it helps I was fishing 25lb YZ Hybrid.

-Fireman

I have a 27 single roller. I have never used the bailed version but I do know you can change the rotor assembly out and change it out to a single or double roller if you change your mind. Your welcome to cast mine and try it out sometime if you are considering changing over to the bail less to see if you'd like it.

Striper_Haven_03
08-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Whats the benefit of double rollers or single if I end up going that route

fishbones
08-15-2011, 08:30 PM
I fish the bailess and was worried at first, now a bailed reel feels wrong. Is that hook that is catching the line the same on both sides or just that one?

I would recommend the bailess - you'll get used to it in a night or two. I've caught the line rollers maybe 4-5 times in 15-25,000 something casts.

Ditto, except I've only had it catch on the roller (I have doubles) twice. Unfortunately, one of the times I snapped off a Magic Swimmer on about the third cast with it.

Haus
08-15-2011, 09:24 PM
The only thing I can say is to just mmake sure when u are about to cast, your spool is sitting at the highest point. That way the line will come off with less friction. Just a thought

wader-dad
08-15-2011, 10:44 PM
I have the 25 bailed- same reel. Never happened once to me in 2 years. I love the reel

I use 30 pound fireline-original. I suspect that it may be your line- what kind is that? You could ask Ron at Zeebaas for advice.

I like a bailed reel. The bail on a zeebaas will never snap shut on a cast.

good luck I know you will get it going right.

JohnR
08-16-2011, 06:46 AM
I have the 25 bailed- same reel. Never happened once to me in 2 years. I love the reel

I use 30 pound fireline-original. I suspect that it may be your line- what kind is that? You could ask Ron at Zeebaas for advice.

I like a bailed reel. The bail on a zeebaas will never snap shut on a cast.

good luck I know you will get it going right.

Good point on the Hybrid -v- braid. I bet you don't have the problem with Braid. Haven't fished hybrid in years.

Single line roller is fine

Striper_Haven_03
08-16-2011, 07:10 AM
Talked with Ron from ZB. He suspects the line just needs to "break in". Fished with AM with no problem. He mentioned switching braid but have had three bad experiences with braid in the rocks with very large fish...not going there again as it was heartbreaking. I fish Yo-Zuri Hybrid 25lb for the past 5 years and only had 5 break offs, 2 were my fault. This stuff is pretty much bullet proof in the rocks.

Thanks for the relpys guys, appreacite your input/help.

Justfishin'
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I've got the bailed 25, no problems with tangles but I don't think the bail gets far enough out of the way of the spool for the cast. I was going to see about getting the bail wire bent back a little (like a Penn) to clear it. But I am considering ordering a roller too.