View Full Version : Poaching Herring

fishaholic18
04-28-2003, 07:35 PM
I just read this off another forum. This stuff really p's me off and it has got to stop!!!!
"Talk about ripped!!!!!! Just got back from a herring
run in RI. I went tocheck the activity by the dam. As
you know it is illegal sunday, monday, and tuesday
in RI. In half an hour I saw 6 vehicles show up and
take herring illegally. I probably took my life in my
hands because I challenged everyone of them.
They all ignored me and said all they needed were
just a few. I did get one guy who reconsidered and
agreed with me after I embarrased him and told
him that he was teaching his son to break the law.
His son was about 12 and he was listening when I
gave the old man hell. Not sure what he did after I
left, plus another truck was pulling in. I did not have
the DEM phone number in my cell phone but it is
there now. It probably would not have made a
difference anyway since they are short handed and
I suspect this is not on their priority list. I can't
believe the attitude that some people have,
absolutlely amazing!!! "

bloocrab
04-28-2003, 11:01 PM
...it's a sad fact. People don't care about tomorrow...they only care about today. :(:mad:

Mr. Sandman
04-29-2003, 07:11 AM
I hear ya...but the state/towns need to enforce the rules and they won't. At the run by me...it is manned with an official when open and locked up when not. I bet half the people that took fish off hours don't even have permits.

IMO the problem starts at the state level. RI officials don't really care if they do damage to anything, its all about $....if they did care that Russian factory ship would not be parked in the bay. (How many tons of New England Herring are on board that thing?....Legal or not it plain sucks, and no one said boo to stop it from happening)

Mass ain't much better their commerical striper regulations have been piss poor.

JohnR
04-30-2003, 07:15 AM
Put RI DEM on your cell phone and call it in - 401-222-2284. DEM is way understaffed but if they can make a few busts and levy fines, word will get around....

bluzjamer
05-28-2003, 08:59 PM
Was at Salter Grove the other day. Figured I'd try for some schoolies. Was a male asian and what looked like his asian GF fishing small metal lures. I heard a rustling in a bag nearby and when I went to look the girl grabbed it and left with her BF. They got into a Darkgreen Dodge mini-van and left. I couldn't get the plate. The bag had several small stripers in it still wiggling. I called DEM but they asked if they were still there and I had to say no. Gave them a van discription though. Sucks when people think the rules don't apply to think or when they claim ignorance .

Bluz

killerlexus
07-30-2003, 10:25 PM
not only asians that take under sixe fish..