View Full Version : Thursday Tuna Trip

PRBuzz
08-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Anyone want to go tomorrow (18th)? Looking for a replacement. Leaving GH @4:30AM. PM if interested and available.

chathamblue30
08-17-2011, 02:20 PM
good luck Phil !

PRBuzz
08-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks.....maybe I'll just go codding and by accident catch a 59" 'er on a jig.:uhuh:

chathamblue30
08-17-2011, 08:28 PM
We might give it a shot on Saturday,little out of practice after bass season. Can you let me borrow some of that great luck you have had out there :)

iamskippy
08-17-2011, 09:28 PM
GL buzzy

PRBuzz
08-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Our day was DOOMED from the moment we launched the boat: a BANANA :smash: was smuggled on board and although the embargoed fruit was quickly removed from the boat the damage was done.:wall:. A 2nd boat launching advised us to just put the boat back on the trailer and GO HOME, we ignored him.....and went anyways.

We hit the SEC @5:30AM and trolled until about 10AM. Grass was a nuisance and constantly fowled the bars/chains. While reeling in one bar, the mono just broke and we lost a nice proven bar.:drool:

In general the activity out there was much reduced even from a week ago: number of whales way down, little bait, and few birds but a fair number of boats/regulars. We might have marked a tuna or 2 and heard reports of maybe 2 hookups, by chance, not due to activity or marking. The general theme was go deep and catch sharks, no tuna to be had today.

We decided to move inside and play with schoolies/blues. After that decided to check out rumors of tuna ~2 miles from east end canal, must be either due to the weather change or that they are rumors but we found nothing inside CCB of interest from canal to GH, 120ft line.

tysdad115
08-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Someone wore a banana hammock?? Did they plan on hitting the p-town parade?

thefishingfreak
08-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Banana smuglers :rolleyes:
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Raider Ronnie
08-18-2011, 06:59 PM
The banana bad luck thing is a bunch of horse #^&#^&#^&#^& !

Goose
08-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Anybody know where banana bullchit theory originated??

Im gonna purposely bring banana's then fish my @$$ off.

niko
08-18-2011, 07:11 PM
someone who sucked at fishing who happened to have a banana :banano:

blondterror
08-18-2011, 07:17 PM
yep... I was banana man... thought that myth had finally died... it is still universal... even on the Deschutes River the guides do not allow bananas on board the drift boats and jet boats

Raider Ronnie
08-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Back in the days of the transatlantic crossings by wooden sailing ships many hazards would befall the captains, crew and passengers. Disease, pirates, shipwrecks, storms, etc., claimed the lives of a good percentage of the captains, crew and passengers attempting the dangerous voyage. Needless to say, a transatlantic crossing in the 17th and 18th centuries was a very risky endeavor. Often the vessels would stop along the way in tropical islands to gather provisions such as food and water. There the passengers and crew would often purchase wooden crates of bananas from the locals and bring them aboard the ship. These crates would have all manner of critters in them such as bugs, spiders, vermin and snakes.

These critters would make their way into the bilges of the ships, multiply, and then find their way into the captain’s quarters. The captains circulated the rumor that bananas were bad luck in an attempt to keep the critters off the ship and out of their cabin. The crew and

passengers were more than eager to follow suit because of the inherent risk of the crossing. So, if the captain announced prior to the voyage that bananas were bad luck and not allowed aboard the vessel, everyone complied. You must remember that these were the days of burning witches and the like, so superstitions were taken very seriously.Watermen are a mysterious lot. While we are known for our simple pragmatism, we also have many odd quirks. Superstitions have been prevalent on almost every vessel I have worked on. I feel that this is due to the nature of a waterman in that he sees the randomness of the world around him juxtaposed with the rhythmic, seasonal flows of nature and then tries to reconcile these observations into some sort of personal and/or environmental order. As Stevie Wonder (a blind man) pointed out so eloquently: “When you believe in things you can’tunderstand, that’s superstition”.

striperman36
08-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Banana's are fine, but no Irish

tysdad115
08-18-2011, 07:41 PM
So considering Chris makes kick ass plugs, if he made a banana plug would that be banned from a boat because of its name?

iamskippy
08-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Back in the days of the transatlantic crossings by wooden sailing ships many hazards would befall the captains, crew and passengers. Disease, pirates, shipwrecks, storms, etc., claimed the lives of a good percentage of the captains, crew and passengers attempting the dangerous voyage. Needless to say, a transatlantic crossing in the 17th and 18th centuries was a very risky endeavor. Often the vessels would stop along the way in tropical islands to gather provisions such as food and water. There the passengers and crew would often purchase wooden crates of bananas from the locals and bring them aboard the ship. These crates would have all manner of critters in them such as bugs, spiders, vermin and snakes.

These critters would make their way into the bilges of the ships, multiply, and then find their way into the captain’s quarters. The captains circulated the rumor that bananas were bad luck in an attempt to keep the critters off the ship and out of their cabin. The crew and

passengers were more than eager to follow suit because of the inherent risk of the crossing. So, if the captain announced prior to the voyage that bananas were bad luck and not allowed aboard the vessel, everyone complied. You must remember that these were the days of burning witches and the like, so superstitions were taken very seriously.Watermen are a mysterious lot. While we are known for our simple pragmatism, we also have many odd quirks. Superstitions have been prevalent on almost every vessel I have worked on. I feel that this is due to the nature of a waterman in that he sees the randomness of the world around him juxtaposed with the rhythmic, seasonal flows of nature and then tries to reconcile these observations into some sort of personal and/or environmental order. As Stevie Wonder (a blind man) pointed out so eloquently: “When you believe in things you can’tunderstand, that’s superstition”.

Ronnie's source (http://www.azinet.com/captjim/bananas.htm)

blondterror
08-18-2011, 08:39 PM
So considering Chris makes kick ass plugs, if he made a banana plug would that be banned from a boat because of its name?

I will make Buzz a yellow dartah with banana graphics to show him that bananas can bring him good mojo and have him catch some nice boat bass in specific locations with structure and current... on my do do list after I redo my deck with Azek decking

tysdad115
08-18-2011, 08:44 PM
And so the banana myth shall be laid to rest.

O.D. Mike
08-18-2011, 08:56 PM

Banana Terror?

nightfighter
08-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Yup. I'm calling the banana= bad juju as BS too.....

While having no complaints at all this season, I can suck without a banana onboard as well......

tysdad115
08-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Was the "banana" verified and opened up to be certain it was actually the produce in question? If this thread is for the record, I know for certain the other characters involved are shady at best and request the banana be presented for a thorough inspection by all parties. Until then I don't believe the accused actually brought a banana on a boat.

PRBuzz
08-19-2011, 05:58 AM
Ronnie's source (http://www.azinet.com/captjim/bananas.htm)

BT: where you wearing FoL's, too?

"In Florida, charter boat crews have extended the prohibition beyond bananas and related food products to include objects that merely have the word banana on it, such as Banana Boat sunscreen, or items from Banana Republic, During fishing tournaments, anti-banana feelings run high. Not leaving any stone unturned, each person on board is quizzed as to what brand of underwear they are wearing. Should some clueless individual mention they are wearing Fruit of the Loom, a rather unpleasant operation is performed on them. First, they are seized by a couple of stout deckhands and given a punitive "wedgie" to prepare the surgical field. A razor-sharp filet knife is then used to excise the label, which curiously doesn't even have a banana on it. Experts recommend not struggling during this procedure, particularly if after a hard night of carousing the underwear is on backwards."