View Full Version : Microburst

nightfighter
08-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Hit my neighborhood around 4:30pm. Had two 80-100 foot black locust trees come down.... Fortunately a black cherry cushioned the blow as they fell on the high tension wires, pole, and all the power and communication wires below. Crews just left after five hours of clean up. I got them all the pizza and drinks they could eat. Did a great job. Now I get to hire someone to clean up the rest of the mess. Fire chief said he'd be by with his splitter for some firewood. We'll see what I have been left with in the morning, after I get in from fishing... Insurance will cover about 500 bucks worth, I think. Don't know if that is per tree, or per incident. But our municipal light and tree department employees did a great job for me.... especially considering I had just gotten a bid for three thousand bucks to take the big locust down!!!!! That was going to boom it over the house to avoid the high tension wires.... So I got somewhat lucky.

Raven
08-20-2011, 05:17 AM
that's some tough wood Locust is...

always something....

PRBuzz
08-20-2011, 06:18 AM
What is it with this summer's weather: we got hit by a microburst 3 weeks ago? Hail, trees down across power lines, power out for 5 hrs, had to drink all my beer stocks before they got warm! :)
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The Dad Fisherman
08-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Think of all the plugs you could have made :hee:

Glad to hear no real damage or injuries though....:kewl:

justplugit
08-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Got hit with one last night about 7 PM. Inch and 1/2 of hail
on the ground, looked like an ice storm.

This morning it looks like it's the middle of October with all
the leaves on the lawn.

spence
08-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Got nailed at the Philly airport Wednesday night...really intense.

-spence

Nebe
08-20-2011, 09:19 AM
What is it with this summer's weather: we got hit by a microburst 3 weeks ago? Hail, trees down across power lines, power out for 5 hrs, had to drink all my beer stocks before they got warm! :)
It's called climate change

GattaFish
08-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Microburst hit St Louis Airport in 2001 destroyed 100's of cars in the parking lots with hail....

nightfighter
08-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Who needs locust wood?

bart
08-20-2011, 12:58 PM
had one come through our backyard into the neighbor's several years ago. I was half asleep on the couch and looked out to see the trees bent in half, violently swaying back and forth. The weather channel showed up to document it. lots of damage to the neighbor's house, deck collapsed. We got lucky...

WESTPORTMAFIA
08-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Be very careful putting a claim in through your homeowners. I put a small 5 k claim in a while back and my company dropped me at renewal time. Nobody would insure me because of the claim and I got stuck with the mass fair plan. My insurance tripled. I would have never put the claim in if I knew that's how it was gonna go. Be careful and ask your agent what they think the possibilities of getting dropped are

Hit my neighborhood around 4:30pm. Had two 80-100 foot black locust trees come down.... Fortunately a black cherry cushioned the blow as they fell on the high tension wires, pole, and all the power and communication wires below. Crews just left after five hours of clean up. I got them all the pizza and drinks they could eat. Did a great job. Now I get to hire someone to clean up the rest of the mess. Fire chief said he'd be by with his splitter for some firewood. We'll see what I have been left with in the morning, after I get in from fishing... Insurance will cover about 500 bucks worth, I think. Don't know if that is per tree, or per incident. But our municipal light and tree department employees did a great job for me.... especially considering I had just gotten a bid for three thousand bucks to take the big locust down!!!!! That was going to boom it over the house to avoid the high tension wires.... So I got somewhat lucky.

blondterror
08-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Ross- If you have any black cherry that needs to come down due to damage I would love a piece big enough to turn a bowl or two

nightfighter
08-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Be very careful putting a claim in through your homeowners. I put a small 5 k claim in a while back and my company dropped me at renewal time. Nobody would insure me because of the claim and I got stuck with the mass fair plan. My insurance tripled. I would have never put the claim in if I knew that's how it was gonna go. Be careful and ask your agent what they think the possibilities of getting dropped are

Only claiming for clean up of fallen trees. No other damage.

Ross- If you have any black cherry that needs to come down due to damage I would love a piece big enough to turn a bowl or two

I'll save some for you, Chris. Not a real big diameter though.