View Full Version : Marine TEX

Raven
04-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Just tried some of this white miracle goop to make repairs to an aluminum hull (HOLE)and Now i have one less leak to deal with.

it cost around $25.00 bucks but it was worth it i think.:happy:yay! :happy:

MakoMike
04-29-2003, 02:10 PM
Raven,
Marine Tex is also great stuff for repairing Gel coat.

Van
04-29-2003, 07:23 PM
I just used some last weekend.
Sets up real hard. I still got a couple of spots to "touch-up".

MM: Repair gelcoat?, how can you get it smooth enough is like peanut butter.

Raven
04-29-2003, 10:28 PM
well i wrote that thread based on the fact that marine tex adhered to metal extremely well...where as before i was skim coating with bondo (resin based) then #criss cross scratching it before it hardened and then applying fiberglass cloth / resin to fix anything metal. Doing anything fiberglass is a no brainer and it lasts forever but with the moisture retention of bondo (porosity) the repairs to anything metal rust out again.So its nice to have a different and better product for metal in my selection of tools.:o

MakoMike
04-30-2003, 06:51 AM
Van,
You mix it up and put more than enough on to fill the crack, hole, etc, and then let it set up. Then sand with a sanding block and progressively finer grades of sandpaper after you get down to 800 wet sanding hit it with a couple of coats of rubbing compound and it will come out like new gel coat.

missing link
05-06-2003, 04:33 PM
the person who sold me my boat put marine tex on the aluminum
head it held for 2 years till last week ,when the exhaust manifold gasket blew out , now i got the engine apart and getting the head welded up , if all goes well in water 2 week's ,link