View Full Version : Kayak Rod and Reel Setup

RI Plugger
08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Just got a fishing kayak and most of my current gear is for surf fishing.

I was thinking of getting a Avet sx single speed reel and put it on a Star Rod in the 6.5 to 7 range. I will be using it for live eels and tube and worm.

I was looking at the XLXKFHF from Star, but this may be to heavy.

I plan on 40# Power Pro.

any suggestions on this setup. I think I have the correct reel but I am unsure on the best rod.

The Dad Fisherman
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
One key is to make sure that the rod is long enough so you can reach around the front of the kayak if the fish breaks that way.

blondterror
08-23-2011, 03:57 PM
That should be a nice setup. Both loomis and st croix are now making SW kayak rods that are in the 6- 7 foot range. For trolling a conventional reel set up for braid or lead core line (tube & worm) is ideal. One nice thing about landing a big fish on a yak... the yak itself acts as part of your drag system... this allows you to tighten your drag a little higher than surfcasting or "big boat" fishing

Nebe
08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
That was the exact set up I used before I dropped it overboard. I used a stellar lite and an avet SX.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

blondterror
08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
That was the exact set up I used before I dropped it overboard. I used a stellar lite and an avet SX.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Nebe- are you using a lanyard to secure your rod now... I started this yr after reading your post...

RI Plugger
08-23-2011, 08:40 PM
My shopping list:

1 - Rod Leash
1 - Avet sx - single speed
1 - Star Stellar Lite Casting Rod - PG1525ISS - 6' 6" - Heavy

Nebe
08-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Nebe- are you using a lanyard to secure your rod now... I started this yr after reading your post...

sort of... I have one and use it when leaving and entering the landing spot.. but out in the water its always in my hands if i am fishing so i dont see the need for it.

Rockport24
08-27-2011, 02:30 PM
yah, that should be a perfect setup.

I actually use a 7 foot st croix triumph and a new shimano baitrunner 6000, it's a super nice reel for the money IMO.
never got used to using baitcasters..