View Full Version : First Fly caught fish...where?

bluzjamer
04-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Anyone had any luck on Stripers with flys yet? I'm trying tonight at the coles river. Little Rhody club fished it last tuesday but the tide was dead low and it was raining. I didn't make it and don't know if it was very productive.
Bluz

striperondafly
04-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Down south in NJ yellow over white Jiggies have been producing. I got a 27" and a 34" on the Jiggy.

bluzjamer
04-30-2003, 08:46 PM
I connected on the Coles River in Swansea, Ma. on my version of the Ray's Fly. Two fresh run's about 18". Tide was 2 hrs from high.
Looks like a good year, my first April stripers and on a fly to boot.
Bluz

jeffsod
05-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Glad to hear someone had some luck on the fly. It has been a week so things must be picking up even more.

Anyone else putting in any time recently with the long wand?

I need some inspiration as I am dying to get out and wave the long wand.

Bobbike
05-08-2003, 07:12 AM
I've been out 3 times now, 2 with the fly and no luck for me. I have seen people hooking up though. I've been down the Buz Bay area. I feel that in a few days or so my luck will change :cool:

If your feet aint wet .... U aint fishin

jeffsod
05-08-2003, 07:34 AM
Yes, I agree that should change soon as long as you are able to get out fishing. Landed my first schoolie of the season last night myself. Fished the long wand a while and moved to another spot and switched rods as it wasn't a back cast freindly area and caught the schoolie on a 3 inch wild eye. Perfect calm night for fly fishing though.

Bobbike
05-16-2003, 06:30 AM
I fished down the Buzz Bay area and did very well with the fly yesterday..(clouser, white-chrat) First fish of the year on the fly WHAT A BALL I HAD !!!!!

If your feet aint wet...U anit fishing

jeffsod
05-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Got my first keeper on the fly this morning on Chartruese Clouser (ye olde standby). Nice healthy 29 inch fish (released). Several other schoolies and another keeper that busted my leader (old leader from last season which should have been retired) when I tried to put the brakes on him. Looked to be similar sized to the first keeper. Nice day to be out!

jeffsod
05-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Got out tonight for a while upper cape. Darker than dark. It was like flyfishing in your basement with the lights off. Fish were around and hungry so it was worth the effort. Largest was just shy of keeper size. Rhody flatwing did the trick. Nice not doing the chuck n duck with a clouser when its that dark out.