View Full Version : 4 foot cell phone antenna ??

Van
09-08-2011, 10:50 AM
Never even heard of this. Anyone seen/have or used one?

ANTENNA CELLULAR 4' DUAL BAND 9db GAIN

Digital 563-CW 4' Cellular Antenna (http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/antenna-cellular-4-dual-band-9db-gain-w-20-cable-159363/4,13087.html)

How would this plug into my smart phone?
Sounds like a great idea if it works.

beamie
09-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I think the results will be dissapointing Van. A digital amplifyer I saw installed didn't seem to work well. Recieved better than transmit so that is not good etc. The old analog bag phones were the best but long gone.

Raider Ronnie
09-08-2011, 12:52 PM
2 different ways to do it . I been researching it for a few months. Another charter in the harbor showed me the set up on his 32 ft downweast he says it works good
Involves an amp, antena on the roof and some cables. His connects direct to his iPhone
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

UserRemoved1
09-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Iphone doesn't have an external antenna jack.

Digital antennas are crap. Overpriced and do not live up to what they say.

thefishingfreak
09-08-2011, 03:23 PM
or just get at&t which actually works offshore

Raider Ronnie
09-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Ya. But very hit or miss on land

thefishingfreak
09-08-2011, 06:28 PM
True but on the boat there's no comparison.

Raider Ronnie
09-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Iphone doesn't have an external antenna jack.

Digital antennas are crap. Overpriced and do not live up to what they say.

Scott, can you elaborate some more, got a friend who says works great for him

Van
09-09-2011, 03:23 PM

Got that right, off shore crap-rizon sux and my ATT is sweet. Proved it several times.
But Way offshore it still could be better.

Reading up on it online, I dont think its worth it and my atrix dont have an ext. port for the antenna. :doh:

UserRemoved1
09-10-2011, 04:17 PM
I've personally removed several of their antennas from boats that had poor performance. You can do much better.

I think what your friend has is something like a Wilson cellular repeater.....those do in fact work when you pair them with a good antenna up high and feed with low loss cable.

Scott, can you elaborate some more, got a friend who says works great for him

likwid
09-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Got that right, off shore crap-rizon sux and my ATT is sweet. Proved it several times.
But Way offshore it still could be better.

Those who go "way offshore" use an SSB or Satphone. :devil2:

thefishingfreak
09-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Wayy offshore on verizon is Martin ledge. Can you hear me now.

piemma
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
One of you radio guys correct me if I am wrong but isn't cellular, by definition, limited by a finite line of sight distance?

UserRemoved1
09-11-2011, 06:35 PM
all radio waves are line of sight until you get to low frequency which is governed by skywave or groundwave with the raising and lowering of the ionosphere at night. In addition you have to take the Earth's curvature into consideration which in NE is ~ 13 miles.

UserRemoved1
09-11-2011, 06:35 PM
And you have also knife-edge propagation too where a signal will refract over the top of a hill.

Raider Ronnie
09-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I've personally removed several of their antennas from boats that had poor performance. You can do much better.

I think what your friend has is something like a Wilson cellular repeater.....those do in fact work when you pair them with a good antenna up high and feed with low loss cable.

Thats it Scott.
He's got one of those repeaters matched to an antenna way up on antenna mast on his roof ( my boat I could get it up a lot higher from my tower) and the wireless transmitter he has something like velcro strips on phone and transmitter to keep them close enough to work.

Raven
09-12-2011, 04:42 AM
yeah i need a real big one too
doesn't have to work

i keep loosin my car :huh:
it's around here some where???