View Full Version : GSB 132-1M equivalent .......

intrepid24
09-08-2011, 09:43 PM
What rod is the same powerhouse, but lighter and even
more sensitive ?

In other words, what is the latest technology that matches its
toughness and ability to turn big fish ?

numbskull
09-09-2011, 04:51 PM
The 1321M blank is pretty light to start with. Wrap it with a modern guide layout (titanium if possible) and I think you would be very, very happy.

There are other blanks that will cast further, but when it comes down to fishing the rod it is personal preference and if you like the 1321M's action there is no reason you can't build one that is a match for anything else out there. It remains a very good blank choice.

You are welcome to try the one I have.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Is it much different than the Super Surf 11'?

SINGING REELS
09-09-2011, 05:25 PM
When lami came out with this blank, I had a good friend of mine Dave Hamand put it together Dave was the brother in law of Charlie Murat.

The shop was in Rhode Island off 146 I believe. Murats is no longer in business.

That rod has been redone severel times and to this day has been one of the better rods for plugging along the beach for me.

I would match that rod against the 132 1m RA with the same guide set up for distance and power.

Mike P
09-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Is it much different than the Super Surf 11'?

Not really. Not worth the extra $$$ for the Super Surf. And I would debate whether the 1M is as powerful as the XRA 1322. I have never been impressed with the 1M's ability to turn a fish in the Canal. IMO the 1322 is the most powerful 11 footer that Lami makes. It gets a bad rap for "breakage" but in truth, the Super Surfs break way more often, and not due to misuse.

It's a maximum versatility rod, though. None better for a do-it-all 11 footer. And like Numby said--a more modern guide lay-out makes all the difference in the world--just have someone build it who "gets" these new guide set-ups. Stick modern guides along the blank spaced like COF guides, with heavy wraps, and you don't accomplish much in the way of making the rod more responsive and getting it to recover faster.

zimmy
09-09-2011, 07:38 PM
If you can... get your hands on an All Star 1208. Very different action, much faster, but similar lure range (although it can throw heavier weight than the 1321m). There are still some blanks around. It isn't the absolute latest technology, but there aren't really any blanks that I know of that have really surpassed it.

rizzo
09-09-2011, 11:37 PM
1321-M is where its at for a big stick. I throw big eels, big plugs, pencils, 5 oz sluggos, 9" wildeyes with mine. You get major distance with this blank and you can't break them. I'm a huge fan of the softer style blanks esp for eeling. With that fast action blanks, braid and a tight drag you'll pop fish off from time to time if theyre poorly hooked. Same thing for plugging. The canal is different as far as popping off fish as you need a good hookup to begin with to land a fish during a running tide.

Might not be the best rod for jigging and turning fish, but once you get the feel of how to lean in to a fish with it, its very powerful. My only complaint is its 11', so you loose ease of control and fatigue easier with it. The good thing is 11' makes jigging easier and you get better hooksets as an 11' takes up more line than a 10.

What exactly are you going to use it for?

Pete F.
09-10-2011, 07:12 AM
What are the major differences between it and a St Croix mojo 10'6" 2-6oz?
Outside of color, # of pieces, and those funny little guides.

intrepid24
09-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Not really. Not worth the extra $$$ for the Super Surf. And I would debate whether the 1M is as powerful as the XRA 1322. I have never been impressed with the 1M's ability to turn a fish in the Canal. IMO the 1322 is the most powerful 11 footer that Lami makes. It gets a bad rap for "breakage" but in truth, the Super Surfs break way more often, and not due to misuse.

It's a maximum versatility rod, though. None better for a do-it-all 11 footer. And like Numby said--a more modern guide lay-out makes all the difference in the world--just have someone build it who "gets" these new guide set-ups. Stick modern guides along the blank spaced like COF guides, with heavy wraps, and you don't accomplish much in the way of making the rod more responsive and getting it to recover faster.

thanks for that, and the tip on the 'tames as well, the stuff is
very nice ! Definitely the best that I have used so far.

intrepid24
09-10-2011, 09:18 AM
The 1321M blank is pretty light to start with. Wrap it with a modern guide layout (titanium if possible) and I think you would be very, very happy.

There are other blanks that will cast further, but when it comes down to fishing the rod it is personal preference and if you like the 1321M's action there is no reason you can't build one that is a match for anything else out there. It remains a very good blank choice.

You are welcome to try the one I have.

Thank you ! I would really like to check that guide sequence out !

thanks, Dean

Surf Caster
09-10-2011, 10:36 AM
If you like the balls and action the GSB 132 M has, then get another one, wrap it up NGC and be prepared to be amazed.

The NGC gives the rod more sensitivity and keeps the weight down.

I had one wrapped NGC this spring and have been using it all season. I beat the hell out of it this year (fallen on jetties, been crushed under the light at M, climbed up onto huge rocks and smacked the rod on them) and it takes it all and then some.

People get worried about the increased number of guides on an NGC layout, but i say BS. Use it and abuse it.