View Full Version : Kennebunk Angler B+T Shop Closing...

Green Light
09-16-2011, 07:24 PM
...not good.

Businesses faltering as fish vacate the Kennebec — Maine Business — Bangor Daily News (http://bangordailynews.com/2011/09/16/business/businesses-faltering-as-fish-vacate-the-kennebec/?ref=latest)

I personally make it a point to buy my gear from local shops. But, it's actually starting to become difficult, so many closing shop and reducing their inventory.

PS

Correction: Kennebec Angler

Bazza
09-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Sorry to see another B&T store close. I have stopped in there quite a few times. Once you get to the Bath area and above, there are not many (if any) B&T stores around. It is more of the local hardware store, with a small fishing supply.

Green Light
09-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Me too. A few year back, I saw Seven Rivers B+T close; it only last 2 or 3 seasons.

There has to be a way to "re-invent" the traditional B+T shop to cope with the modern times.

The only thing that comes to mind is a hybrid approach between brick-and-mortar and e-commerce. I know of a couple of shops who are taking this approach and are doing well.

Joe
09-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Gold buying places and consignment shops abound.

Fly Rod
09-25-2011, 09:05 AM
I feel one of the reasons is, he has a very poor web site too. Tried to find it on the internet and there was not enough about his shop. Today you have to be able to have mail order and a good web site. Also the small shops are very expensive. In order you have to have them 40 dollar rods and 25 dollar reels.

I have mostly top of the line penns but this summer I bought a 25 dollar viper reel last all summer with the charters and will have next year. The point is it is hard for a shop that sells the expensive stuff to survive.

CaptRandy
09-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Shame, I stopped in there last summer on a trip through Maine, found owner very helpful and friendly. Best wishes for the future.