View Full Version : Newbie to party boat cod fishing

evan9201
09-23-2011, 01:49 AM
I've mad the decision to try some party boat fishing for cod. I plan on going out a lot so I have bought a suitable cod fishing outfit. Furthermore, I am a dyed in the wool surf fisherman so this is all new to me. My questions are:

1) What range of sinker and jig weights should I get?

2) What are the best bait fishing rigs to use? (I would assume a high low rig?)

3) what strength terminal tackle should I use?

fishsmith
09-23-2011, 10:25 AM

Depends on depth and current, but have 10 - 32oz at the ready

I like the high/lo best and use fresh water bass jigs/tubes, I'll put some clam on with them, if dogfish are around, don't use bait. I think the cod regs are only 2 hooks, so if you've got a hooked jig, only use one teaser hook.

65 - 80lb braid.

Good Luck.

evan9201
09-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks! just one other question. What size snaps and swivels should I use?

niko
09-24-2011, 09:12 AM
party boating is a great way to fish. it's nice to be on a big vessel when the seas are snotty and i've had some great days when the weather is just plain ugly. the guys who do well on party boats all have a few things in common. first is - they go alot, not every day is good so you want to be there when it is. 2nd - they work hard. lazy fisherman dont catch much - the guy who lets his bait soak for an hour before he checks it or who isn't paying attention and lets his line scope out way too far - those guys aren't going home with a cooler of filets, it's up to you to make it happen. always join the pool - i went on a run around 15 yrs ago when i won the pool 7 or 8 times one summer/fall, and i didn't have a clue what i was doing. do your research and find a good boat. there are some party boat forums out there that should help. good luck and have fun

JamesJet
09-24-2011, 10:27 AM
I go a few times a year on one for years and if you are interested in specifics PM me. I find that similar to Nikos post, the "good" fisherman work hard and catch more fish, but no matter who you are its the capt job to put you on fish and usually everyone takes home fillets. As far as recommendations, I don't bait fish much, just jig so I cant help you in that dept. except I do recommend using some type of rubber lure in conjunction with the clam and changing bait can up success rate. I find that it really makes a difference if you can CAST, and I fish jigs from 10 - 20 with most of my fishing being on 14 and 16 oz Lav or Angerman style jigs. It all depends where you go however. Casting allows you to ensure your jig gets more quality bottom taps on a drift and almost as important keeps you away from all the tangles of everyone else thus keeping your jig on bottom more. Because I feel casting is important I try to pick a spot on the boat that is condusive to casting. Don't forget a fly or some sort of teaser. Many times these outfish the jig itself. There are a million things guys use, but from what I've seen/experienced GULP and simple codflies seem to consistently take fish. Have fun and good luck.

MakoMike
09-24-2011, 11:07 AM

Depends on depth and current, but have 10 - 32oz at the ready

I like the high/lo best and use fresh water bass jigs/tubes, I'll put some clam on with them, if dogfish are around, don't use bait. I think the cod regs are only 2 hooks, so if you've got a hooked jig, only use one teaser hook.

65 - 80lb braid.

Good Luck.

The two hook rule was eliminated in Amendment 16, now you can use as many hooks as you like.