View Full Version : Will We Need a License to Operate Boat in MA?

Piscator
09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
I was reading he Marshfield Mariner this morning and saw a section for some upcoming Coast Guard Auxiliary Boating Safety Courses. I was reading through it and read the following in the Boating Skills and Seamanship course description “This course will become mandatory for all people wanting to operate boats in Massachusetts waters when the state implements its law licensing all boat operators”

I agree that most on the water (especially weekends) have lots to learn and these courses are a great thing to take for safety and seamanship (I might take it again myself) but I didn’t realize this would become mandatory and that we would be required to get a license to operate a boat in this state. Did I miss something? Is this law going into effect? Anyone else here of this?

Thanks!

FISHING_FOOL
09-23-2011, 08:53 AM
I will not be getting anymore licenses of any sort in this F-ed up state.

likwid
09-24-2011, 06:31 AM
With some of the idiots that are on the water, god I hope so.

BigBo
09-24-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm pretty sure it's already a mandate in CT.

UserRemoved
09-24-2011, 07:23 AM
I welcome it. I did boatwise and learned alot. I've had people comment on the water of things I have done to stay safe. It was stuff I learned in the class. Too many yahooooooos drinkin
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

UserRemoved
09-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Should be an endorsement to your Drivers license

Duke41
09-24-2011, 07:39 AM
It is a necessary evil. Lets so how long it takes until it turns into huge money maker, like the kids driving licenses. $$$$$$ for class $$$$ for road work. Mass is all about emptying out your wallet.

J_T_R
09-25-2011, 06:20 AM
With some of the stuff that I have seen on the water... it should be a requirement. That said, I don't want to take it. :smash:

Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that someone was lost in this fog over the past two days. If you were out in the fog without a gps/compass, you could have ended up at the bank before you figured out where you were. A little class on navigational skills would be helpful for many.

BigBo
09-25-2011, 06:33 AM
The mandate in CT is that you take the Boating Safety Course, you're issued a certificate and that acts as your license.
I took the US Power Squadrons Boating Safety Course many years ago. I found it very informative and helpful. The courses are free except for materials (IIRC that ran me @ $30) and I was issued the certificate afterwards. I still carry the cert. in my wallet. I also took the Navigation course.

Raven
09-25-2011, 06:48 AM
sounds like fun

what do they have on the GRILL?

so when your boat operators license gets revoked

no more boatin for you BUDDY.... or your goin 2 jail

5/0
09-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm not surprised at all,the bottom line is common sense has been abused by to many people and has forced the Government to micro manage us all and the State(s) & the Fed Govt. is capitalizing on this because of idiots.

Common sense is when individuals using proper evaluation, judgment and reaction,then applying this in any self action should have a positive out come.Idiots that don't posses this God giving train of thought have abused everything under the sun then take the wrong way out and then blame there environmental surroundings.So now we have to pay the fiddler to enjoy the simple things in life that were once free!

PRBuzz
09-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Having a license doesn't instill common sense!

5/0
09-25-2011, 10:56 AM

Very true,but we are forced into paying because of this constant idiocy.

Stewie
09-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Nah, to do it right, they ought to have a boat occupant license(fee). This way, they could get 80 or 90 bucks a year from everyone who even sits in a boat. You guys have to learn to think like politicians. :smash:

sburnsey931
09-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Does that mean Drivers Ed makes nitwits drive better?

likwid
09-25-2011, 03:41 PM

It does force accountability.

O.D. Mike
09-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Dennis

From what a buddy of mine tells me this is already in place up at the lakes in NH....

quick decision
09-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Dennis

From what a buddy of mine tells me this is already in place up at the lakes in NH....

He's right.

BobT
09-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Need one in Jersey. I can't run my brothers boat.

JohnnyD
09-26-2011, 12:40 PM
You got that right. 10 minutes of driving on any road demonstrates that.

The nice part about a license is that it can be revoked.