View Full Version : On The Water Striper Cup?

Jersey Angler ?
09-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Hey guys. Relatively new to this site but i have been reading a lot about the striper cup drama that is going on here and respectively, would like to voice my opinion:

Word on the street was that Team-Striper's Greg Myerson's fish will be disqualified from the teams total with a mistake of, when registering, not filling out the team affiliation as "team Striper".

Contradictory to this i quote ScottW from the "Get Some Sleep" thread. "The Striper Cup Hi Mike - Policy since year one has been to allow individuals to declare team affiliation at any point in the tournament, but only allow fish going forward to count toward team standings. We have had hundreds of anglers every year, on almost every team, who sign up first and then declare a team later in the season. Thanks for pointing out that we need to clarify that in our rules. Please contact bdean@onthewater.com if you have any questions or would like further explanation. Thanks

Dont get me wrong but he states that he has let "hundreds" of anglers every year who sign up first, declare a team later in the season.

If this is not in the "rules" as quoted above, how could they disqualify the fish? Maybe since On the water is trying to expand to the southern states it would be nice to have a jersey team win???

All this unnecessary controversy over something that isn't in the rules i'm sure will lead to the termination of teams from the striper cup...

inTHERAPY
09-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Hey guys. Relatively new to this site but i have been reading a lot about the striper cup drama that is going on here and respectively, would like to voice my opinion:

Word on the street was that Team-Striper's Greg Myerson's fish will be disqualified from the teams total with a mistake of, when registering, not filling out the team affiliation as "team Striper".

Contradictory to this i quote ScottW from the "Get Some Sleep" thread. "The Striper Cup Hi Mike - Policy since year one has been to allow individuals to declare team affiliation at any point in the tournament, but only allow fish going forward to count toward team standings. We have had hundreds of anglers every year, on almost every team, who sign up first and then declare a team later in the season. Thanks for pointing out that we need to clarify that in our rules. Please contact bdean@onthewater.com if you have any questions or would like further explanation. Thanks

Dont get me wrong but he states that he has let "hundreds" of anglers every year who sign up first, declare a team later in the season.

If this is not in the "rules" as quoted above, how could they disqualify the fish? Maybe since On the water is trying to expand to the southern states it would be nice to have a jersey team win???

All this unnecessary controversy over something that isn't in the rules i'm sure will lead to the termination of teams from the striper cup...

It is most definitely in the rules, black and white. that's why counting his catch mid season was such bs imo.
"• Upon registration an angler must declare either a club affiliation or no affiliation."
good for jersey shore. congrats to you

Sea Dangles
09-29-2011, 12:29 PM
It was explained to me that although OTW has allowed a move from independent to a team in the past, it had never been their intent to allow anglers who previously weighed in fish during that season.Sounds like they are trying to get it right and will continue to make improvements based on unforseen scenarios such as this.I'm certain tournaments throughout the world are faced with similar discrepencies on an annual basis

intrepid24
09-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Seems as if otw made its own rules, broke its own
Rules spelled out in black and white, and then decided
To begin following its own rules to the T.
Kinda takes the ambition out of me personally to
Fish as hard for any tournament, which is easy for me
Cuz my PB is an 8oz chogie !!!
Either way, congrats to myerson. 82lbs, good god thats amazing !

inTHERAPY
09-29-2011, 12:50 PM

i saw that chogie, no weigh was it 8 ounces

Saltheart
09-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Hmmm , the worm turns.

Jersey Angler ?
09-29-2011, 04:07 PM

Exactly. Never been in a tournament where they do not abide by the rules and change them as they go to knock out the unstoppable, most dominant team

scottw
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM

JA, I'm not sure of any accuracy of any word on the street, the quote that you attribute was taken from the Striper Cup Facebook page and was the OTW response and explanation to an inquiry as to why the fish in question was able to be credited to TS.....they further clarified that the status change was made well before the fish was actually caught...the quote has since been removed from the FB page...not sure why

ultimately, as some have stated, the winner of the team competition is far less consequential than many who are up in arms would like to imply

the Jersey Shore team had a remarkable season and are certainly deserving of the award posting so many large shore fish ...I'm pretty sure that if the fish in question is disallowed(and it will be very interesting to see how this is handled and what clarifications will be made going forward) there is around a 5 pounds difference separating the two teams as TS posted some big fish at the end, so still a great battle to the end...either team is deserving, doesn't really matter who wins in my opinion..it's all for fun

Jersey Angler ?
09-29-2011, 04:29 PM
If that was the case TS should not of let the 3 other fifties that they had go...

Haus
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Fishing, in my mind isn't meant to be a tournament activity. Especially when u are fishing for a fish that is on the decline.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

eelskimmer
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I am afraid the in and outs of the controversy
do not interest me and the Striper Cup doesn't
anymore. Was a time I thought I had a shot at
the McReynolds title but 82 pounds-- for crippies
sake-- too much even for me.
Sayonara.
:smash: