View Full Version : Advice needed for Marion Ma.

nightfighter
10-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Nephew is at Tabor Academy. Asked me to help set him up, rod, reel, and plugs... Says they are seeing a lot of busting fish, but doesn't have a clue bass vs blue vs albie. Claims a student caught a small blue after casting out a second story dorm window....:smash:
Going to set him up with the basics, but any local input appreciated.

blondterror
10-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Tabor is on the west side of Marion harbor (My bro went there)... most likely blues coming in to feed on baitfish ... I would recommend a 2 piece 8 or 9 foot rod with a decent Penn reel.. a few Gibbs plugs, crippled herring and DD.

Saltheart
10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Steel leaders. Some poppers. Pliers.

Rockport24
10-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Claims a student caught a small blue after casting out a second story dorm window....:smash:

HA! You could probably due that up our way out of some dorms at Endicott college....

Sea Dangles
10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Good pogie harbor,lots of albies in the neighborhood now too.

Swimmer
10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Good pogie harbor,lots of albies in the neighborhood now too.

I second the pogie harbor action. Commercial pogie guy is in there all summer most every year. East Cuttyhunk access

Liv2Fish
10-03-2011, 04:21 PM
I lived in Marion for 10 years as a kid. The docks are always a good place to scan for pogies being harassed by blues. Sometimes the blues will push them all the way up to Barden's Boat Yard - or is it Burr Bros. I always confused the too but it's the one at the end of the harbor.

There is also a deep channel with moving water between Ram's Island and the (private) point before you get to Silvershell beach. Good spot to chunk at night or plug the edges at dawn.

Marion holds mostly blues this time of year, unless you catch a push of bass going through that got sidetracked and ventured into the harbor.

If you want more of a "surf" feel, head down Point road towards Catanset club. There are a few stretches of beach that you can access. The further down the road you go the deeper the water is just off the beach. Nice rocky coast.

Good luck

blondterror
10-03-2011, 07:05 PM
A Tabor student could also bike down to the end of Converse Point via moorings road... there is an association tennis/boat club that is not used much past labor day that has excellent access to deep water and a boulder field just to the east of the small man made boat basin. Like the Kittanset Club which is at the end of Sippican Pt, these two point jut out into Buzzards Bay and get nice water movement with the east and west tidal flows.

Ross...Set him up with a PVC rod rack on his Mt bike so he can bike down to the end of these 2 very fishy pts on Buzz Bay.... hell...he could start a fishing club at Tabor to embellish his chances to get into the college of his choice... may be a good topic for his college app essay

Goose
10-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Sippican harbor has awesome fishin, lots of bait. tell him to walk south, before the beach make a left and when the road turns left again look for a house with a cement pier on the right. that puts him at the mouth of the harbor. All kinds of nice fish there,Big tog's. If he's walking he's fine if he drives he'll get a ticket. Marion Cops are very bored. one morning my bro and I had huge early spring scup and 6 cop cars showed up....Ive got tickets there too. Tell him to go early and get out early.

Planting island SW facing and good too, potential ticket. If you park near the golf course ...parking ticket. I knew a bunch of guys who say its well worth it.

I've worked off converse pt. every week for years and fished there since age12. Marion's clean harbor holds bait and has lots of shellfish. Jumbo Scup have been laying they're roe there forever for a reason.

nightfighter
10-03-2011, 07:33 PM
He's back at school with a two piece, a couple of reels, one with braid, some swimmers, a popper and metal. Told him to sign in and read up here... find some other students or faculty who fish and a tackle shop. Needs leader, swivels, clips, pliers, and a lesson on the palomar. (I would have set him up better if it hadn't all happened last minute)He is in primo territory with good access that should hold fish much later than up here. Also told him to call me immediately if he gets an albie. Might have to go "visit"

As for schools, he is interested in naval or marine engineering. He's already blown through all of Tabor's naval design courses. Has interest in the service academies, and I understand Michigan and Wisconsin have good programs. Doesn't need a bike, he's a cross country runner....:grins:

areiley
10-03-2011, 08:22 PM
thanks ross. all of this is good to read, and i know exactly where all the places are that the other guys have said. its all within walking distance.
once i get up and going, i will definitely send pictures and hope for the best.

nightfighter
10-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Welcome Andrew! These guys will all be pulling for you. Go get 'em!

blondterror
10-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Andrew --- M&D's bait and tackle shop is in Wareham which is not far from Marion.
Mike T runs this and he is a great resource. Great place to get any fishing related stuff.

Chris

UserRemoved1
10-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Ross shoot me an email and I'll send him some poppers etc. No kid should have to endure school without being able to catch yellow eyed devils :)

Raven
10-04-2011, 05:47 AM
ANDY welcome to S-B

check your Pm's

Rockport24
10-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Welcome to S-B! Be careful, this thing is addictive, make sure you study!

areiley
10-04-2011, 09:40 PM
ive already realized that this site is addicting. i think ive already checked it 5 times today and only had 1 message