View Full Version : Off season is half over. How's the offseason Chores?

Saltheart
01-22-2001, 09:55 AM
Well the off season is half over now. Going by quick actually. I'm way behind on stuff I wanted to do. Got some jigs made. haven't even started the two rods I want to build. Haven't done a single teaser yet but I have lots from last year left over. Got a new reel which I needed. A BG6500CL (predictable) .
I hope to do the rods on Thursday nights and tie bucktails on Friday nights. Always a million things to do where fishing is concerned. Looking forward to the worcester show and the Mass Bass show. There's lots of people I know at the worcester Show since a sportsmans club I once belonged to runs a Youth archery area for the show. every kid gets a few shots with the bow and its all free. Kids can get back in line and do it again if they are willing to wait. usually a pretty popular area right near the trout pound.

Mass bass should be good too this year. too bad Mike P isn't going. i'll see a bunch of familiar faces there too including the famous John Redmond from Striped-Bass.com. Last year I went looking for a fly tying vise and came home witha livewell!!! Oh well , its a good livewell! :)

Got Stripers
01-22-2001, 10:47 AM
I'm still trying to juggle work, family and some winter fishing, so I'm in deep you know what, at least when it comes to my winter chores. Normally I don't shovel to the boat, unless spring is right around the corner, but did so yesterday so I could continue to get to it and fish. My wife thinks I've got a screw loose and she may just be right, lol.

I'm pretty well set in the bait department, and have tons of plastic left from last year, but I wanted to look at building a couple rods myself. I've got to get around to getting a price on a couple of the Lamiglass Titanium blanks, probably the TiMC90H and TiMS84M. Anyone build a rod using these new blanks? I might not either, if the cost turns out to be what I think it will, based on the $500+ sticker price for their factory rods built on those style blanks.

Tight lines.

JohnR
01-22-2001, 12:32 PM
Well Saltheart, still alot of things to do including mounting the last TP roll holder in the house :P - been kinda busy you know...

Need to build one more rod this spring and I just finnished one for my bro-in-law in CT for his birthday. The rod came out pretty stinking OK for me. My fanciest to date but Mike T and all those other pro-rodbuilders have nothing to fear though :P Next thing is to prep all of my reels again and sort my gear...

Yep, looking forward to the show this year and seeing many of you there.

Fisherwoman
01-22-2001, 12:46 PM
Saltheart, sounds like you have been a busy little beaver. To this date I have tied about 400 flies for teasers, and still going strong, and baitcaster and I have about 200 total teaser rigs done, so been kind of busy. Need to get the reels off the rods that need repaired and sent to the guy that does all of our reel work. I have the itch bad, am starting to get that spring adrenaline rush and anxiety thing going on!!!

John R, did you recieve your paperwork for the show from the club, if you did not please let me know as I am the one taking care of getting in all the return slips and keeping track of how many booths we have, so let me know, if you didn't or anyone else you know did not, please let me know and I can send you a copy of the formal letters,
Thanks

Mike P
01-22-2001, 02:56 PM
Man, you guys have me feeling guilty, I haven't done squat. I have the H.O. 6500 upgrade kit to install in my BG6500CL, and the 7000 and 7500 to clean and regrease, plus the 704 and 706 spinners. I didn't use my 6500CS much, so that can probably wait a bit, and the Calcutta, I decided to let the shop screw around with that one. And I think I'm gonna do the same with the 525 Mag, I din one 975 near the end of the season because I had to replace the level wind pawl, but that's an easy one to break down and put back together.

Also need to re-supply with some HD split rings. Pretty well stocked up on those nice 4x trebles from Eagle Claw. I'm not pleased with how quickly the VMC ones rusted.

Well, at least I took all of the plugs out of the two main bags I use. My biggest problem is that my season doesn't end with a bang, it just kind of winds down around the holidays, and when I blink, it's already March.

JohnR
01-22-2001, 04:42 PM
Jul's - shot you an e-mail... I will also see you Wednesday, right??

Fisherwoman
01-22-2001, 05:41 PM
Hey JohnR, got your email, yes we will be at the meeting, I need your new address and stuff & I will mail you the paperwork for the show, just email it to me if you would, I will give Hawg a call sometime this week. You don't happen to have his current address do ya?

Marc Z
01-22-2001, 06:43 PM
I've taken apart and cleaned all the reels and just got into the tackle box this weekend to get it back into order, figure out what the damage was last year and re-stock for this year. I'll also tie a bunch of eel hooks, leaders, teaser rigs, change hooks etc.

Hey John,
I'm surprised that the TP holder waited til this long, that's usually first on a guys list. You know what its like to be sitting there when you realize there are no sh*t tickets at your disposal!
MZ

JohnR
01-22-2001, 09:29 PM
Thanks Juls...done.

MarcZ, If I were only as prepared for fishing as much as for the library I'd have already gotten a 50 :P . Actually, by not mounting the 'ole roll spinner, it takes me back to my batchelor days when you could find at least three active rolls at any one time 8) or none at all :'( Nowadays, I even have a few spares in the Land Boat just in case...

Now tham I'm married to a responsible lady, I have a never ending supply of 400 roll packs and other paper products from BJs Wholesale Club.

Also, with no TP holder, there is never the argument of which side the paper is supposed to pull from, you konw, from the back or the front?
[img=http://www.striped-bass.com/Images/evil.gif]

Fisherwoman
01-22-2001, 09:55 PM
Oh Johnny, definatley supposed to have the PT facing front!!!!!!!!!

Jenn
01-22-2001, 11:44 PM
front definately! cuz that way you can just smack the roll and the tp just rolls right off! :)

JohnR
01-23-2001, 09:20 AM
Are you sure? I haven't done any real scientific testing but doesn't the roll coming off the back flow slower, therefore preventing a professional overun? Much like a mistimed thumb on a baitvasting reel :P ??

Fisherwoman
01-23-2001, 10:33 AM
Definately from the FRONT, that way you can find it in the dark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnR
01-23-2001, 11:02 AM
FW, what you have indoor plumbing but no electricty??

Fisherwoman
01-23-2001, 12:08 PM
Yes I have plumbing & electric, but I like to play in the dark!!!!!!
ROTFLMAO, besides the theory of the TP not winding onto the floor if the role is facing to the back is incorrect, if you face it to the back it will unrole like a mother!!!!!! OK I think we need to fish?????

Got Stripers
01-23-2001, 03:32 PM
You have all lost your marbles and I prescribe a couple schoolies for everyone, else you all loose it for good.....LOL. Only the hardcore striper nuts, with a severe case of cabin fever, would be enjoying a thread about toilet paper.

Thames is iced over, due to the snow pack and cold night time times, but it's warming up and I'm hoping for the weekend. I think I've got a full boat right now, but if I get a cancellation I will post it. A trip down to the Thames might snap one of you out of it anyway, lol.

Tight lines.

JohnR
01-23-2001, 04:05 PM
Hehehe,

Ok, sitll on the TP kick!! My theory states (this does not apply if you have a gravity style TP dispenser :P ) that if you spin the roll at a high rate of speed the paper over runs, much like on a mishandled conventional reel, if the paper is running off the back, it's more likely to build up inside the cup/wall section of the roll holder, kinda like an anti-backlash mechanism for your bathroom.

Speaking of toilets, Saltheart, still interested in a little fish finding expedition this weekend 8)

GS, Cabin Fever? Here? Nawww! Thanks for the update though.
[img=http://www.striped-bass.com/Images/evil.gif]

Clammer
01-23-2001, 04:55 PM
F/W, 400 hundred flies and two hundred teaser rigs and still going. Do you sell them? I might be interested, I havn;t been completely smoked by them except in the fall down the south shore beaches and even many of those were shad. Thanks//

Fisherwoman
01-23-2001, 05:03 PM
Hi Clamdigger, yes we sell them. They are rigged with 30lb test flourocarbon. Catch alot of fish on them all year round. Are you by chance coming to the MSBA show? We will have a booth there so if any of you guys are at the show please stop by and say hello, would nice to be able to put a face to the names.

Clamdigger if you are not going to the show, shoot me an email and maybe we can work something out. We will also be carrying them in various tackle shops on the MA south shore this year, but they won't be stocking up until spring. Email is julbil@mediaone.net
so drop us a line anytime. I have 8 different patterns that I tie for night time and daytime.

Saltheart
01-23-2001, 06:37 PM
Looks bad for fishing this weekend do to superbowl plans. I'm game next weekend though. What do yoiu think?

JohnR
01-23-2001, 09:07 PM
Next weekend? Possible to likely. I might still make a quick recon but I'll let you know... It would be nice to get a bass and have at least one for every month of the year...

Clammer
01-24-2001, 12:01 AM
Hi F/W $ B/C tried to e-mail you twice tonight got rejected & bounced off line . I'll try again tomorrow ,want to hookup with you// Thanks

Fisherwoman
01-24-2001, 11:58 AM
Hey Clammdigger, sorry you got bounced off, kind of strage, anyhow, we charge $5 a piece for them. If that is what you were wondering. If you can't get thru to email me, give me your email and I will get back to you as soon as I can, thanks!!!!

Marc Z
01-24-2001, 10:45 PM
John
Back in college we used to steal those industrial sized rolls from the dorms for our apartment. Our holder consisted of a wire hanger bent the right way thru the middle of the roll and attached to a towel rack. But boy let me tell you, that industrial stuff is not very soft.
By the way, the roll goes on so the paper comes out the back!
MZ

Saltheart
01-24-2001, 11:52 PM
Front