View Full Version : Peelaway

Duke41
05-02-2003, 11:38 AM
I tried a new way to get ride of bottom paint. It is called Peel Away. It comes in a bucket and you spread it on your boat like peanutbutter, then apply a paper backing. 24 hours latter you just peel off the backing and the pain comes off with it. I tried a small area and it worked great. However under the hull was a different story. The stuff is highly alkaline and was dropping all over me. They should call it peel you skin away. No kidding it burned like an acid bath. This could be good for sailors or those of you that can turn there boat over. Other than that stick to the sander. I gotta go take a shower before my face falls off.:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: :af: :laughs: :laughs:

JohnR
05-02-2003, 12:50 PM
Duke - maybe one of those Tyvek suits and working not directly underneath but a half arms length away ??

Duke41
05-02-2003, 02:36 PM
I had one on. the issue is that the stuff falls off and gets on the tarp, I can get some of it of the tarp. Then you have to go back over the tarp to apply the paper backing that is used in the process. Trust me it is no picnic. I understand you are getting your own boat this season. I will give you my almost full bucket of peel away if you want to have a shot at it.

SALTSHAKER
05-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Duke your lucky you didn't get it in your eye man!! We used to use that stuff in old hotel removations and take off fifteen layers or old paint on the door trim etc...Man! any of that new stuff read them directions and warnings...

Raven
05-12-2003, 03:49 AM
i think that's why they invented those long handled scrapers.

Mr. Sandman
05-12-2003, 09:46 AM
I was thinking of using that stuff. I want to strip it down to the glass and apply a dolphinite-light coating paint and I want a near perfect (paint-less and smooth) surface.
Can you get those tyvec suits at Home Depot? Turning the boat over is out of the question for me.

It sounded like a Zip Strip kind of a thing with air-proof paper to let it work on the paint for a while.

What was the condition of the hull after you did it? Was there a lot of scraping or snanding needed afterward?

If if is a really nasty job....I may just tow it to the yard and say , strip it.