View Full Version : Bee stings

basswipe
10-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Got stung in the left calf by a yellowjacket Thurs. afternoon.Started getting very itchy and swollen on Fri.Got so freakin itchy Fri. night I had to quit fishing only 3 hours after leaving Flo's.Took a bunch of Benydryl this morning,no more itchiness but my calf is quite swollen and very warm.

The real bitch here is the $250 copay that United charges for an ER visit.This is going to have to wait till Monday.I have no intention of missing any fishing with this great weather or missing out on Coddington tomorrow.

Raven
10-09-2011, 07:26 AM
making a paste of baking soda
smeared on the spot helps greatly
as well as an ice pack

basswipe
10-09-2011, 07:34 AM
making a paste of baking soda
smeared on the spot helps greatly
as well as an ice pack

Been icing down.Forgot about baking soda.

Was only able to handle about two hours fishing lastnight before my leg swelled up to the point I couldn't stand on it anymore.

JamesJet
10-09-2011, 07:46 AM
actually meat tenderizer works very well when applied to a bee sting. With that kind of swelling, did you get the stinger out?

basswipe
10-09-2011, 07:54 AM
actually meat tenderizer works very well when applied to a bee sting. With that kind of swelling, did you get the stinger out?

Couldn't see the stinger afterwards so I'm assuming it came out right after.

I was just googling bee stings and both baking soda and meat tenderizer were mentioned.One thing I found in common on several sites is that bee stings on the lower leg/ankle area tend to cause the whole lower half of the leg to swell.

UserRemoved1
10-09-2011, 10:24 AM
I second the Adolf's meat tenderizer. Mix it up with a bit of water and smear on the sting. Feels like a $5k/hr madam :hee:

Backbeach Jake
10-09-2011, 01:31 PM
A slice of onion. Nearly instant relief.

UserRemoved1
10-09-2011, 02:00 PM
Works good on the wife too

A slice of onion. Nearly instant relief.

basswipe
10-10-2011, 05:05 PM
It was so bad after the Habs raffle at Coddington.Even worse this morning that I was scared so I ate the $250 and went to the ER. Infected to the point if I had waited longer there could've been a problem.

Raven
10-10-2011, 06:53 PM
i'd say you are highly allergic
or enough so that you need to carry anti venom