View Full Version : scorton ledge n the canal

stiff tip
10-11-2011, 03:47 AM
sucked all wknd ... slow or no fish.. ccb yesterday was dead. no birds, bait or fish all morning.the canal was the same .a few small fish. no night activity dawn sucks too.... wtf....cant figure them this fall. where is the big fall run???

numbskull
10-11-2011, 05:51 AM
sucked all wknd ...... wtf....cant figure them this fall. where is the big fall run???

Eaten, digested, and flushed.
You expected something different?
Oh, there will be another push, and everybody will convince themselves things are fine, but they are not.....and anybody who has fished for years knows that already.

BigFish
10-11-2011, 06:28 AM
Thats a fact George!

nightfighter
10-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Well north of you, the water is still very warm, there is plenty of bait, and blitzes happening on select beaches, with all size of fish represented. I was fortunate to come upon a school of very good fish on Sunday. Not a blitz. I was in my boat, but they could have been reached from shore as well. They wanted live macks. I think they are late this year......but on the move. (ie. yesterday sucked)

Changing gears to cod and tuna this Sunday.

afterhours
10-11-2011, 06:45 AM
a lot of those fish were killed or sold...

Back Beach
10-11-2011, 06:46 AM
It's over.

rickhern
10-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Fished all over MV last week. Loads and loads of spearing all around the island and heard exactly 1 schoolie(maybe it was a hickory) crash thru them in 6 nights. I am very nervous for the future.

Mike P
10-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Localized blitzes tell us nothing about the overall health of the stocks. You have to look at the ends of a fish's range. How good has the fishing in Maine been the last few years?

The signs have been there for awhile, and perhaps I deluded myself into thinking that it was a bait issue--bait running offshore and the fish following them. But, the last two Octobers have sucked---there has been no fall run to speak of in the Canal. Scortons, dead. The fish that push through the Canal school up on Scortons before they move through. I went to school on that for years. There aren't any fish in CCB to speak of. The one or two decent days of fishing in the last 10 days, in the Canal, came on fish that followed schools of pogies in from Buzzards Bay.

I don't have to wait for ASMFC's stock assessment. The fishery is on the verge of crashing again. And we don't even have the same bluefishing that we had in the late 70s to mid 80s to occupy us.

big jay
10-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Tuesday and Friday scorton was stacked - Friday night the temp dropped and the fish screwed - Sat am it was a ghost town.
This happens every October - a few days it's awesome, and then they move. Then you wait for the next body of fish to move down. Same as always, they just weren't nice enough to be sitting there on the weekend.

I also noticed there were less than a dozen cars cape side at the canal at 5 on Saturday - kinda tough for people to catch when they don't bother going.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Piscator
10-11-2011, 08:31 AM
kinda tough for people to catch when they don't bother going.

Stop talking about me like that :crying:

RIJIMMY
10-11-2011, 08:50 AM
not an indicator of the stocks but this is the best fall i have seen in RI in 5 years

ProfessorM
10-11-2011, 09:13 AM
This happens every October - a few days it's awesome, and then they move.

Smart man

Sea of Atlas
10-11-2011, 09:33 AM
i don't have the benefit of decades of fishing but i can tell you the fall run in Maine has been very good to me with many good fish on the move last week. There has been a lull since Saturdays temp, flat surf and bright moon. i am still getting out this week with high hopes. last year they ran much earlier and lighter in my experience. id be happy to follow these northern migraters south. imho its gonna be awhile.

Rockfish9
10-11-2011, 09:52 AM
Well north of you, the water is still very warm, there is plenty of bait, and blitzes happening on select beaches, with all size of fish represented. I was fortunate to come upon a school of very good fish on Sunday. Not a blitz. I was in my boat, but they could have been reached from shore as well. They wanted live macks. I think they are late this year......but on the move. (ie. yesterday sucked)

Changing gears to cod and tuna this Sunday.

but north of cape ann, the water is brown and silt filled... the river is spewing mud that has spread south along the beach.. to the north it's not too bad..... macks are feeding on the bottom on herring spawn in 120' of water.... there were a few blue fish blitzes on Saturday morning, offshore a mile or so.. but inside.. we swam macks from NH to half way down the reservation on Plum Island.. and never got a legit chase.. mighty slow for this time of year.. I'm pulling the boat tonight.. the rest of the season will be made or lost from the sand and rocks...it was a good season until Irene arrived.. it hasn't been the same since...

JFigliuolo
10-11-2011, 10:11 AM
not an indicator of the stocks but this is the best fall i have seen in RI in 5 years

Wow, very few are reporting such success... shore bound at least.

RIROCKHOUND
10-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Wow, very few are reporting such success... shore bound at least.

Jimmy is just THAT good!

RIJIMMY
10-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Jimmy is just THAT good!

I will send JF and RIR a link via PM and you make up your own opinion

JohnnyD
10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Didn't spot talk, whether the fishing is good or bad, used to be a faux pas?

fishbones
10-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Didn't spot talk, whether the fishing is good or bad, used to be a faux pas?

I think it still is, but these 2 spots aren't really a secret to anyone. Just saying "the canal" doesn't mean much because it's so general. And Scorton Ledge is a very well known boat spot. This time of year, most of the boat yahoos aren't out fishing because they pulled their boats on Labor Day weekend.

fatcow
10-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I still belive to this day the stocks are fine. Stiffy u know what's going on u just got the report to late. U got skunked chasing reports. Last year plenty of big fish in the bay bait was plentiful. Bye bye to the macs bye bye to the fish. I fish the same amount every year and that's daily all I can say not even a change in the past 5 years. Everyone was saying were are all the schoolies. If u fished the canal all summer u would say I found them. The fish are staying with the bait bottom line for example Chatham this year and last , ptown and MV the year before and befor that hanky and sankity. If there's a school of 5 million out there they are not going to be with a bad food source. If all the bait and fish are at Chatham they sure are not coming towards the Canal. Plenty of bass out there we need to fix the bait problem.

ProfessorM
10-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Plenty of boats on the ledge on sat as I watched from sandy neck. I drove the beach sat nite thinking something might be out there. Never got a tap. Guess Dave was right. He is a jinx

JohnnyD
10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I think it still is
Not based on the boards the last few weeks.

Going on about any spot doesn't help anyone who fishes them with any regularity regardless of how well known it is. About 400 people logged into this site in the last 24 hrs and that doesn't include the hundreds that are on as Guests any time throughout the day. That's a whole lot of people to be giving free detailed information to.

Not to mention the other detailed reports about other locations that have been popping up here lately.

fishbones
10-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Not based on the boards the last few weeks.

Going on about any spot doesn't help anyone who fishes them with any regularity regardless of how well known it is. About 400 people logged into this site in the last 24 hrs and that doesn't include the hundreds that are on as Guests any time throughout the day. That's a whole lot of people to be giving free detailed information to.

Not to mention the other detailed reports about other locations that have been popping up here lately.

Good point. No one should mention anything about fishing the canal anymore. We can't let the secret that there are sometimes fish there out. If anyone finds out that fish are sometimes in there, it'll be chaos.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry that the canal is going to start attracting crowds based on reports of there not being fish there. How many times have you fished the ditch this season anyways?

JohnnyD
10-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Good point. No one should mention anything about fishing the canal anymore. We can't let the secret that there are sometimes fish there out. If anyone finds out that fish are sometimes in there, it'll be chaos.

Seriously, I wouldn't worry that the canal is going to start attracting crowds based on reports of there not being fish there. How many times have you fished the ditch this season anyways?
Your focus on the canal is why you aren't getting my point.

My season at the ditch this year has sucked - probably only made it a dozen times or so and most of those trips were late May through July. Most of my fishing this year has been 2-3 day trips to Truro a couple times a month. Work has pretty much eliminated any weekday fishing this season.

fishbones
10-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Your focus on the canal is why you aren't getting my point.

My season at the ditch this year has sucked - probably only made it a dozen times or so and most of those trips were late May through July. Most of my fishing this year has been 2-3 day trips to Truro a couple times a month. Work has pretty much eliminated any weekday fishing this season.

I'm getting your point just fine. You don't think anyone should mention any spots. In this case, Stifftip mentioned 2 spots that are very well known. I don't think anyone is making a big deal because CCB is a large area and Scorton Ledge in particular is no secret to anyone with a boat. We've already gone over the canal. He didn't mention any particular areas or poles. In fact, he didn't even mention east or west end. I don't think anyone is bitching because what he posted isn't a spot burn. If you're referring to other postings on other sites, I wouldn't know about them. I only responded to your posts replying to this thread.

ProfessorM
10-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Capt. Cupcake is a spot burner from way back. Don't believe a thing he says. He speak with forked tongue. He didn't mention pole numbers because he can't count past 10 and failed to mention that he already killed all the fish during comm. season, the greedy bastard.

stiff tip
10-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Capt. Cupcake is a spot burner from way back. Don't believe a thing he says. He speak with forked tongue. He didn't mention pole numbers because he can't count past 10 and failed to mention that he already killed all the fish during comm. season, the greedy bastard.

thank you for your kind words.....the way the fishin been who is spot burning ...i think i was just giving a fishing report on how great the fishin was...btw i have not killed a bass sense the end of comm season....

ProfessorM
10-12-2011, 09:14 AM
You know I was only kidding. Larry made me do it. It is hard to burn two of the most popular spots on all of the Cape. call me when U find them I am too busy to look right now. P