View Full Version : Taking another one to the dark side

tunaless greg
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Team,

One of the most enjoyable parts of the season is laying down the treble hooks and bunker, and taking guys out to plug fish in the fall. This has been a season with an abnormal amount of large fish have been swimming around, which makes fishermen do things out of their comfort zone. We can reference NF, who at one time was a dedicated plug chucker, living in the surf. Fast forward to this yr, and now he is egging people on to try live lining. Well, lemme tell you about another on this site, that switched over. This may have been my most enjoyable one yet, as this guy is as dedicated to only fishing plugs as a rabbi is to following the torah. if you look at any of his post, they all reference "wood only" "doesn't count unless wood"....etc. Well, we start popping bass on the macs, and suddenly Mr. Pure........I mean DR. Pure, pops off a plug and clips on a treble. We get him set up with a bobber, bait his hook and he is off to the races. For about an hour, he gets lost in the moment, as good size bass are swirling and exploding on the live bait. He even said " wow, that is so cool when you feel them stun it, then come back to take it". He hooks up on a good fish, and whips a scaled 29 pounder (released, as was the other one in the picture, to his credit). After that fish, as his chest is out, talking about how his VS could whip a 40 pounder, and it hits him............
He just bait fished for an hour and loved every minute of it. A normal fishermen would have just rolled with it, said he had a great time and
released a great fish, but noooooooooooooo our hero realized he had been to the dark side, and had to back track. The look in his face, told the story of regret, like a faithful business man after his first trip to vegas. Suddenly he pointed out every flock of birds, how we should go back to the plugs, how he was going to live in the surf that night. He could not get the stink of fresh mackeral off his beautiful VS fast enough when he got home. The great thing is i have all his smiles during that hour on the gopro.........something i will cherish during this winters discussions.

The Dad Fisherman
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Doc....over to the Dark Side :hihi:

doc
10-19-2011, 03:25 PM
now that is pretty freaking funny...i will never join you and go to the dark side!!!!! it was a momentary lapse of judgement...

nightfighter
10-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Good read! I too, have been guilty of setting up a few members here on their first livelined fish.... TDF, Luds, and most recently, PaulS. Very cool to see their reactions to the whole cat and mouse game between predator and prey, and then they're an active participant in the game... So does this mean I will no longer have to hear you whine "doc only wanted to plug fish"? And while I have most certainly learned many things from you, livelining wasn't one of them. Do you recall how we first met, in the pre dawn dark, each of us protectively tending our pogie nets, watching, muttering to ourselves about that other asshat? I was just jealous of your much bigger net.....:rotf2:
Don't be a stranger around here Greg.... We need a Jets fan to taunt.

And I don't use trebles to liveline......

nightfighter
10-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Also pretty funny that a previous owner of that boat was the founder of Stripers Forever.... If he only knew.....:rotf2:

The Dad Fisherman
10-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Ross wanders the shores of the North Shore collecting Souls......

saltyric
10-20-2011, 05:55 AM
He could not get the stink of fresh mackeral off his beautiful VS fast enough when he got home. .

lol....good stuff........I believe the same guy once said he would never buy a VS....or at least he gave me crap for doing so.

doc
10-20-2011, 07:40 AM
lol....good stuff........I believe the same guy once said he would never buy a VS....or at least he gave me crap for doing so.

i just like giving you crap!

Rockport24
10-20-2011, 10:43 AM
awesome stuff! Nice fish Doc! come to the dark side! You can even do it from a kayak :uhuh: