View Full Version : rigged eel improv.

zimmy
10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
This came up on an other site, so I thought I would share it here. I spent some time investigating a way to make the rigging process simpler, faster, etc. I found something that works for me. I bought stainless hog rings on line. They come in various sizes/gauges. The initial rigging of the eel is the same: dacron, rig needle through the body and so on. However, I no longer sew the hooks or use zip ties. Everywhere those techniques are used in the process, I now take the pliers and clamp a ring through the body of the eel. So where one would sew the eye of the rear hook through each side, I clamp a ring. A couple minutes at each location sewing or jamming a needle through with a zip tie is replaced with literally 2 seconds of clamping. I also attach a barrel swivel to an open eye siwash and run rings down through the snout and through the eye of the hook to secure it. I haven't had one slip down the shaft of the front hook yet. I can now make niced riggers in about 5 minutes. Just mentioning in case anyone is looking for an way to save time without negatively affecting the rigged eel as a bait.

piemma
10-20-2011, 08:46 AM
I love it. Now I know what to do with my hog rings since I stopped yo-yoing.

JLH
10-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Nice idea thanks for sharing. I fished rigged eels a lot and am always looking for a faster way to rig them.

Clogston29
10-20-2011, 09:19 AM
nice. what size/gage rings are you using? did you get hog ring pliers, or are you using regular ones? thanks for sharing.

piemma
10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Josh, I don't know the North Shore but in RI I got mine a few years ago at Ace hardware on West Shore Road in Warwick. I would think that any Ace would also carry them.

zimmy
10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
I ordered the pliers from amazon. They were maybe $10 shipped. They work well. Occasionally I will shoot a ring across the room, but not a big deal to me. I forget where I ordered the stainless rings, but I just searched until I found a place that would sell less than $100 worth. Some hardware stores do carry them, but I didn't find any near me. The ones I have now are about 1/2" opening (3/4" max width), 15 gauge. I would like to try some smaller ones for smaller eels, but they are hard to find with sharp points. The 1/2" are perfect for good sized eels. I originally bought a bag of galvanized off amazon. They work fine, but stainless wins out for the few cents more they cost.

Clogston29
10-20-2011, 09:43 AM
thank you. i'll give it a shot. the skin on the outside of my pinky fingers will thank you if I don't have to pull dacron and rigging floss knots tight anymore.

Vogt
10-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Zimmy, any chance you have the amazon link to the rings you use?

I didnt think it could get any better than the zip-tie method...Im really looking foward to trying this.

Kierran
10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Smart idea. Thanks for sharing.

zimmy
10-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Zimmy, any chance you have the amazon link to the rings you use?

I didnt think it could get any better than the zip-tie method...Im really looking foward to trying this.

http://www.amazon.com/Seat-Cover-Upholstery-Rings-pack/dp/B003HFBQC6/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1319123627&sr=1-4

I am pretty sure these are the galvanized ones. I bought stainless from some site I never heard of. If I can locate it, I will put up a link. I am also going to call my local ace hardware and see if they carry them.

zimmy
10-20-2011, 11:03 AM
These are the same stainless I have. Didn't buy them here, but the price is about the same. There are ~900 rings in a pound.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hog-Rings-1-2-Stainless-Steel-15Gauge-Loose-LB-/290580556838?pt=BI_Textile_Equipment&hash=item43a7f36c26

DZ
10-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Interesting idea. Are the edges of those rings sharp? They look sharp in the photo. Worried they might cut your line if it wraps around the eel? Thanks for sharing.

DZ

Saltheart
10-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Any pics of a rigged eel using these things?

zimmy
10-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Interesting idea. Are the edges of those rings sharp? They look sharp in the photo. Worried they might cut your line if it wraps around the eel? Thanks for sharing.

DZ

The only sharp parts of the ring is at the ends. They end up inside the eel. Maybe they could rotate over time, but the points would have to push back out through the eel's skin. I have not experienced it. In any case, I can't imagine the risk exceeding what exists with the point or barb on a hook.

Edit: Dennis, I just noticed what you saw in the photo. With the pliers I use, the tips of the ring may touch, but they never cross like in the photo and they are in the eel. Similar to the way the large vmc open eye siwash never crosses when you close them

I will get pics asap. Working tonight, then straight to the fishing hole; concert right after work tomorrow. It may be sometime Saturday, unless someone with a fancy phone takes a picture of one in my car and emails it to me.

saltyric
10-21-2011, 05:36 AM
Great Idea. Any place that makes/sells lobster traps will have the hog rings and pliers. I picked some up at Winchesters in Gloucester.

nightfighter
10-21-2011, 05:45 AM
Great Idea. Any place that makes/sells lobster traps will have the hog rings and pliers. I picked some up at Winchesters in Gloucester.
Exactly. Surprised you did not get them at The Boat Shop in Marblehead. They carry all the lobster gear too.

saltyric
10-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Exactly. Surprised you did not get them at The Boat Shop in Marblehead. They carry all the lobster gear too.

ha.... I work in glawchesta, although john at the Boat Shop has really picked up his game....

Chubby-Chaser
10-21-2011, 05:54 AM
very cool

zimmy
10-22-2011, 08:39 PM
a pic

Saltheart
10-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Nice!

Vogt
10-23-2011, 05:54 AM
thanks for the pic. I may have to try this.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Gobi
10-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Very nice. Looks like a good upgrade.

PaulS
10-23-2011, 09:04 AM
I might try that after my current stash of eels is gone.

PaulS
10-23-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm still trying to figure out how you get it through the eye of the rear hook.

zimmy
10-23-2011, 09:33 AM
paul, I just put pressure on the shaft of the hook to push the eye up against the skin. I can show you sometime if you can't figure it out.

nor-easter
10-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Just leave the rear hook out of the rig. Big Fish take the eel "by the head" to swallow it so you really don't need the tail hook.
I stopped using the tail hook, even on eelskin rigs cause we only caught undersized fish on the tail hook.

Try it, you might find it to be usefull.

Clogston29
10-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Rear hook helps it swim better, especially at higher speeds. Helps casting also. I've caught some large fish, over 40#, on the tail hook too.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

piemma
10-24-2011, 06:51 AM
I have to agree with Josh. I have had some monster fish on the rear hook. The other thing about a riggie is when a bass hits it they HIT IT!! No doubts with a soft take. It is a smash and run.

zimmy
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
I have tried both ways. In my opinion, the two minutes it takes to rig the rear hook is worth the improvement in swimming and increased hook-up rate. I have caught several nice fish where the rear hook saved the day.