View Full Version : No Lackey for 2012...

nightfighter
10-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Tommy John surgery... One way to get him out of the rotation. So two high profile signings will have had TJ surgery this season. Not sure I want to see either Lackey or DiceK back.

Bill L
10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
The team ERA just went down three points

striperman36
10-25-2011, 06:02 PM
That's great news!!
DiceK and Lackey, both should be traded before their arms even heal.

I hope Bucholz' back is in shape be the beginning of the season. Hopefully he'll spend some time in AZ training in the off season.

BigFish
10-26-2011, 05:12 AM
I heard the injury was caused from "bending his elbow" too much in the dugout between starts???:cheers2:

Raider Ronnie
10-26-2011, 05:34 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Theo under contract for 1 more year ?
Is so Sox should have stood their ground and demanded if the Cubs wanted Theo they had to take Lackey and or Dice K to get him.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Sea Dangles
10-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Lackey for Zambrano was talk show fodder. Most clubs will allow an employee to leave if they are getting a higher position regardless of contractual status. Compensation is eventually agreed upon,in this case the commish may aid in settling the level of compensation.

BigFish
10-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Hearing there is a clause in his contract that prohibits Lackey from collecting the remainder of his contract if he suffers an injury?? Not sure if thats a fact but it was on the radio this am??

nightfighter
10-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Kevin Millar for manager!

fishbones
10-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that Dice K is off the books this year. He'll be driving fans of some other team nuts next season.

JohnnyD
10-26-2011, 10:40 AM
It's a shame that he'll be able to use this as an excuse, but it doesn't change his piss poor attitude.

Mike P
10-26-2011, 12:09 PM
That's great news!!
DiceK and Lackey, both should be traded before their arms even heal.

Great idea---now, what GM who isn't on his way to a psych ward would trade anything more valuable than a dozen baseballs for a pitcher with an inflated contract having TJ surgery? :rotf2:

Mike P
10-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Hearing there is a clause in his contract that prohibits Lackey from collecting the remainder of his contract if he suffers an injury?? Not sure if thats a fact but it was on the radio this am??

Yes and no. Yes, there is a clause that gives the Sox the option to renew his contract at the MLB minimum salary, if he misses a "significant" amount of time due to a "pre-existing injury".

That doesn't even kick in until his option year---2015.

And good luck trying to establish that it was a "pre-existing" injury at the time he signed his deal with the Sox. The guy pitched 215 innings in 2010, and 160 innings in 2011.

MarshCappa
10-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Kevin Millar for manager!

Yea, bring back the Idiots! I can just see it now everybody having long hair and doing shots of whiskey!:buds: He could hire Damon as bench coach and Manny as hitting coach!:biglaugh:

The Dad Fisherman
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
what GM who isn't on his way to a psych ward would trade anything more valuable than a dozen baseballs for a pitcher with an inflated contract having TJ surgery? :rotf2:

Omar Minaya???.........Oh Yeah, that Psych Ward thing :hihi:

striperman36
10-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Great idea---now, what GM who isn't on his way to a psych ward would trade anything more valuable than a dozen baseballs for a pitcher with an inflated contract having TJ surgery? :rotf2:

Theo?

Mike P
10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Omar Minaya???.........Oh Yeah, that Psych Ward thing :hihi:

Minaya got canned after 2010, thankfully, but that's right up his alley.

Joe
11-04-2011, 06:13 PM
I had never heard about bad behavior from Lackey when he was with the Angels. Like the antics when the defense didn't catch balls that were crushed, and the beer-drinking thing - what the hell.
I don't think he liked not being the number one guy in the rotation - ego bruise. Mike Scioscia, well, when you start turning out your own brand of player - you're a force. He intimidates players into professionalism and he speaks Spanish.
Lackey's got that slack-jaw jock look about him. Still, the post-TJ surgery stats show that the surgery usually results in improved performance. If he can grind out 200 innings as a #4 - he's a pretty good #4. It's too bad they need a hard ass rah-rah guy to coach, they should be beyond needing that with the #2 payroll. I like the Joe Madden type. Wonder what Mike Lowell is up to?

bart
11-05-2011, 04:44 PM
I like Joe Madden too. And Joe is right, as much as I despise Lackey, TJ surgery usually makes your arm better than you could've ever imagined...