View Full Version : please, please, make it stop

RIJIMMY
10-26-2011, 12:45 PM
'We're a culture, not a costume' this Halloween - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/26/living/halloween-ethnic-costumes/index.html?hpt=hp_c2)

will anyone defend this out here, anyone?
Are any of you offended by ethnic halloween costumes?

The Dad Fisherman
10-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I remember when I was in the 6th grade I dressed up like Aunt Jamima...blackface and all....wonder how that would fly today? :hihi:

Maddening....did you read the article about how PETA is suing SeaWorld on behalf of the whales.....because SeaWorld is Violating anti-slavery laws in regards to the whales.

PC Sucks........

Sea Dangles
10-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Racism sucks too and often a fine line separates the two.Some people cross it without knowing they are being offensive,others will do so to incite as TDF just described.

RIJIMMY
10-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I dont think most, if any, halloween costumes are meant to be racist. If people are offended, thats their problem.

As a person of arabic decent, I dressed up as a sheik. My mom wasnt offended.
Does homer simpson offend fat white guys?
Does shrek offend big scottish guys?
Does the popular, inflated sumo wrestler costume offend japanese?

Why in the world would an asian be offended by a geisha costume? Are white people offended by cowboy costumes?

Are people who recently suffered death in their families offended by the gravestones, skeletons and rotting corpses?

All americans have cultural backgrounds and some are fun to dress up in. Its really nothing more than that.

RIROCKHOUND
10-26-2011, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=RIJIMMY;896285]I dont think most, if any, halloween costumes are meant to be racist. If people are offended, thats their problem.QUOTE]

I was going to go as bald Frodo this year..
does that offend you? :biglaugh:
(I also of course resemble that remark :love:)

I'm actually going as 'Shaggy' and the boy as 'Scooby Do'
Do we offend (or encourage) man-dog love proponents??

But wait, I'm a liberal. I just checked my liberal idealog dogma and I must think all PC is good... :smash::smash: :jump1:

RIJIMMY
10-26-2011, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=RIJIMMY;896285]I was going to go as bald Frodo this year..
does that offend you? :biglaugh:
(:

no, but if you went as Dr. Evil it would!

The Dad Fisherman
10-26-2011, 01:40 PM
others will do so to incite as TDF just described.

Wasn't done to incite....as far as I was concerned she was just the chick on the pancake box :huh:......didn't see anything wrong with it. just looking for something different to do for halloween.

Didn't want to be one of the 6 other astronauts that showed up.

Black kids in the class didn't have any problem with it neither...maybe because nobody told them they should have a problem with it.

could have been earlier than the 6th grade too....mind doesn't work as well as it used to

Came out pretty Kick-a$$ too....

scottw
10-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Wasn't done to incite....as far as I was concerned she was just the chick on the pancake box :huh:......didn't see anything wrong with it. just looking for something different to do for halloween.....

that's exactly what we'd expect a racist, woman-hating, pancake-o-phobe to say after dressing up as Aunt Jemima for Halloween...do you still dress up as a woman occasionally?:)

Raven
10-26-2011, 02:02 PM
yeah

and then explain

you forget where you've been?

The Dad Fisherman
10-26-2011, 02:23 PM
do you still dress up as a woman occasionally?:)

I think THAT would offend more people than me dressing up as an indian or a Bandito....I'd make one Butt-Ugly Chick. :yak:

I also dressed up as a Hobo once....does that mean I'm insensitive to the Plight of the Homeless? :hihi:

Sea Dangles
10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I dont think most, if any, halloween costumes are meant to be racist. If people are offended, thats their problem.

As a person of arabic decent, I dressed up as a sheik. My mom wasnt offended.
Does homer simpson offend fat white guys?
Does shrek offend big scottish guys?
Does the popular, inflated sumo wrestler costume offend japanese?

Why in the world would an asian be offended by a geisha costume? Are white people offended by cowboy costumes?

Are people who recently suffered death in their families offended by the gravestones, skeletons and rotting corpses?

All americans have cultural backgrounds and some are fun to dress up in. Its really nothing more than that.

OTay Jimmy, hang a picture of Buckwheat in your office and go about your business....

I see what your saying, but I see what they are saying too.
Now get back on your magic carpet and get out of here.

In the grand scheme of things I think Aunt Jemimah or Buckwheat is more offensive than OJ to black people.

The Dad Fisherman
10-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Being Irish, I'm thinking this halloween I'll dress up as a Cop............ or maybe a Drunk :hee:

PaulS
10-26-2011, 03:18 PM
I see what your saying, but I see what they are saying too.

I agree but if I or RIJimmy dressed as a sheik and weren't demeaning why is it offensive?

I need a picture of Kevin in his A. Jemmima outfit b/f I can defend him.

The Dad Fisherman
10-26-2011, 03:29 PM
I need a picture of Kevin in his A. Jemmima outfit b/f I can defend him.

If I could find one I'd post it.....it was pretty good from what I remember

Jackbass
10-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I went one year as Jerry Garcia and all the over weight 9 fingered guitarists at the party made me change my costume. They were very offended
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

RIJIMMY
10-26-2011, 03:34 PM
it would all be easier if we just banned halloween

JohnR
10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Being Irish, I'm thinking this halloween I'll dress up as a Cop............ or maybe a Drunk :hee:

That's OK, it is politically acceptable to make fun of the Irish, Italians, and any other Caucasian with roots to Europe. Remember, the world's problems are result of the white imperialist swine.

Sea Dangles
10-26-2011, 09:41 PM
I will admit that my oldest son was sent to the office last year because of his costume. He was Jesus...somehow that is offensive.

And RIJ complains about cupcakes.

Raider Ronnie
10-27-2011, 04:41 AM
This year I was thinking about dressing up like Chaz Bono,
Just not sure, do I wear a dress or skirt or jeans, flannel shirt & work boots ?

:screwy:

The Dad Fisherman
10-27-2011, 07:47 AM
This year I was thinking about dressing up like Chaz Bono,
Just not sure, do I wear a dress or skirt or jeans, flannel shirt & work boots ?

:screwy:

The bigger question is whether to "Tuck or Not to Tuck"....:hihi:

RIJIMMY
10-27-2011, 10:11 AM
I will admit that my oldest son was sent to the office last year because of his costume. He was Jesus...somehow that is offensive.

And RIJ complains about cupcakes.

is that true? wtf?

The Dad Fisherman
10-27-2011, 10:22 AM
It wasn't Jesus, son of God...it was Jesus, Mexican Landscaper....hard to annunciate on the web :hihi: