View Full Version : Century 10ft 6 in

stripermaineiac
10-26-2011, 08:54 PM
:fishin::uhuh:A while back there were a lot of questions on the new century blanks.I had a load of requests so i went on line and talked with builders in their home country and several others that raved about the flexability and durability of these rods.Building custom rods can be difficult when it comes to options for big rods with shipping being around 100 for an 11 ft rod. The furell on the Century blanks seems to be a good one so I've done some home work on them.
This is the 10ft6in. I built it to fit reels like the Sustain 8000 an 10000. Also the Diawa Emblems as these are becoming a staple reel for many. The rod I put together is for braid from 20 lb to 50 lb. it's rated 1 oz to 3 oz. I pushed that envelope to 1/2 oz to 4 oz in fishing it. The sweet spot seems to be 2 oz to 2 1/2 oz. It handles a 4 oz peice of metal fine.I got a best of approx 150 yrds with 40lb braid with the metal and beyond 80 to over 100 yrds regularly with plugs that had tied tail hooks and those without. During my vineyard trip of a month and 10 days in Rhody it became my go to rod replacing my Arras both the 1322 and 1321.With long hrs casting plugs and eels at times i found the rod to be both comfortable and had a wide range of uses.
My specs are as follows. reel seat is a wrap on Fuji over cork tape covered with x-wrap heat shrink.Reel seat is 24 an 1/2 to middle of shank.I used Fuji K frames with SIC rings.I tried several different set ups and found the most flexability in use,distance and reel flexabilities in the following set up.30-25-20-16-12-10-10-10. I tried going 30-20-12-10-10-10-8-8 but found it to cost me distance and flexability in lure size.I found this when I tried a couple Penns-6500-5600 and tried some mono at 17 lb test.Remember I'm working on a flexable build to make it work for people that don't spend 300+ on reels.The VS 200 and 250 both worked best with the ist guide set up. My spacing ended up as -from tip to butt-62-50.75-40.5-31.25-23-15.75-9.5-4.25 along with the fuji size 10MNST tube 7 that fits the rod. just be carefull as some of the tips take a 7.5.
I beet this rod hard trying to make it fail but it never did. I found it easier to fish than the 11 ftr. Yup got one of these coming on that too.It fishes sweet and is one that won't beat you to death throwing plugs. Needles,spooks,swimmers,metal and eels. Nice rod to use. Tight lines Ron

Sgt Striper
10-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Nice review! I also am partial to Century's line of blanks. The last line in your review says it all. They are rods that can be fished all day and not beat you up, plus they will add distance to your casts as well as throw metal lips with minimal fouling. Down here in Jersey the 9'6" and the 10'6" have become very popular along with the Stealth's. One blank that is a gem is the Sling Shot 144L, yes it's long at 12'6 but feels like you are throwing an 11' with it's light weight and balance. Many shy away from the Century's because they are looking for a faster blank, they are missing out if they don't give one a try.
Oh, and as far as durability, ask Gary (BigWater) how his 2 year old Century Spod held up to that 51# last thursday!!

Mike P
10-27-2011, 11:15 AM
The sweet spot seems to be 2 oz to 2 1/2 oz. It handles a 4 oz peice of metal fine.I got a best of approx 150 yrds with 40lb braid with the metal and beyond 80 to over 100 yrds regularly with plugs that had tied tail hooks and those without. During my vineyard trip of a month and 10 days in Rhody it became my go to rod replacing my Arras both the 1322 and 1321.With long hrs casting plugs and eels at times i found the rod to be both comfortable and had a wide range of uses.

Good to see someone with a lot of experience, posting what are clearly real-world casting distances. :kewl:

Too many times, guys claim absurd distances with 3 oz Polaris plugs and other stuff that you know can't go that far unless there's a hurricane behind the guy.

stripermaineiac
10-27-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm working on a reveiw as you called it of the 9ft6in also. very sweet rod.

nightfighter
10-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Good to see someone with a lot of experience, posting what are clearly real-world casting distances. :kewl:

Too many times, guys claim absurd distances with 3 oz Polaris plugs and other stuff that you know can't go that far unless there's a hurricane behind the guy.

So true. I was getting a complex about my casting distance vs what is too often posted online..... But I can lob a live mack with the best of them...:rotf2:

robc22
10-27-2011, 07:28 PM

This is so very true.......Guy on another forum just wrote he could hit 200 yards all day with a 3 oz pencil using his ron arra rod......All I stated to the guy was go cast at a football field sometime.........

marky1
10-27-2011, 09:48 PM
A couple quick questions :
Are they all 2 piece ?
and who sells them in the Boston area(North Shore)

stripermaineiac
10-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Mostly they're 2 peice. Century does have a couple one peice but the shipping is very expensive. From factory to here around 200 just in shipping. as i mentioned in the post they are a very good 2 peice blank that is realitic for shipping.M n D in wareham has factory builds an most rod builders can get them through Hatteras Jacks.A custom build like the one I spoke about is around 400 plus 40 in shipping from most builders. If you want to build one yourself my recipe is pretty good for most people with a little tweeking for reach on reel seat placement.I went very minimal on wraps to include underwraps only under the guide feet with a gap in the middle not like a traditional build to keep weight and action at a premium.I try not to advertise here as I'm not a sponsor. need to sell more plugs ist LOL. There are a couple builders here that are sponsors though you might check out. My best advise is stay away from any cheap materials as the cost due to failure is way too great and that also means a builder that is too willing to do a cheap build.You get what you pay for.Cheap is cheap.Quality is quality.Hope that helps. Ron

Zeno
10-28-2011, 04:09 AM
So true. I was getting a complex about my casting distance vs what is too often posted online..... But I can lob a live mack with the best of them...:rotf2:

funny

Zeno
10-28-2011, 04:11 AM
This is so very true.......Guy on another forum just wrote he could hit 200 yards all day with a 3 oz pencil using his ron arra rod......All I stated to the guy was go cast at a football field sometime.........

this is true..at night I must cast at least 250 yards...of course I cant see where my plugs land
strange thing is once dawn arrives my casting falls apart and I barely get 70 yards...weird

stripermaineiac
10-28-2011, 07:20 AM
LOL So true Zeno. The ist time I used a football feild was one heck of an eye opener.I've got a couple outfitd built for 200 yrs but I'd sure hate to fish them all night long.LOL was just thinking how hard it would be to cast metal liped swimmers all night with them LOL Ron

bart
10-28-2011, 08:00 PM
great review :kewl:

Mike P
10-28-2011, 08:08 PM
LOL So true Zeno. The ist time I used a football feild was one heck of an eye opener.I've got a couple outfitd built for 200 yrs but I'd sure hate to fish them all night long.LOL was just thinking how hard it would be to cast metal liped swimmers all night with them LOL Ron

Yup---when I did actual field testing, and measured my casts instead of "guess-timating" them, with a rod that could actually land a fish in current, it was very enlightening. 90 yards with a plug is a very good cast. Oh, I know that there are ass-weighted custom plugs that can fly for 150 years, but off-the-shelf, stock plugs, 90 yards is very good.

stripermaineiac
10-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Hardest part of building rods is making a realistic rod for someone that fits their abilities and not their fantasys.I'm a very good caster but most of what I use cast like a kite.Bait is even harder to cast and still be usable.A bunker chunk with 6 oz of lead aint gonna make it 70 yrds let alone 100.Metal will realy fly but wood that cast isn't good to use in rocks and boulders as it sinks too fast.That's one of the reasons that a builder need to spend time with a buyer to see what they can do so the rod fits reality and not fantasy. Ron

Saltheart
10-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Most guys have no idea how far they are casting. One thing is for sure though , there are certainly some guys out there who can cast much further than the rest of us and to them , 150 yards with bait and sinker is doable every cast. Some guys just have the combination of strength and technique (emphasis on technique) to just "cast a mile"

Big Dave
10-29-2011, 11:56 AM
For obvious reasons I've fished the Century line hard this year. And again for obvious reasons I have not posted reprots of what I think of the rods online. Lets face it nobody likes or listens to the car salesmen. But I have to admit I have really enjoyed reading reports from some of the top rods in the area.

Ron
During the season I found myself fishing the 1265 more than anything at the canal when I was fishing plugs. The plugs I used during the years ranged from 1 to 2 1/2 oz with the occasional 3 oz metal. The 1265 has balls for sure. I have it matched up with the Diawa saltiga surf 5000. That combination is lighter than most of the spinning reels alone some are using at the canal.

Big Dave

Tagger
10-29-2011, 12:21 PM
I broke down and bought the Century factory rod that throws 3-7 ... Range is much better on the lighter side ... I throw a Diawa SP minnow to a heavy weight shad 6.25 ounces and everything in between with the one rod ... love it .. It's coming to BI with me .. I also cast amazing well even with the bum shoulder .. I find it better to slow down and let it load ..

PaulS
10-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Guys always over estimate length.

agsurfr
10-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Sheesh---developing a serious case of casting envy. No way I'm getting 70 yds. A football field will humble you.

tysdad115
10-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I use an 11' 3-7 Century M&D wrapped for me. K frames, concept guide set up with a Stella 10K. Im not going to pretend I know rod
building so I relied on Mikes recommendations. I had to fish this rod about five times before I got the feel for it. It casts like a dream and handles fish in current with no problem. Really liking the Century line so far.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

pbadad
11-13-2011, 11:04 PM
What model name is the 1265 in question? I'm looking for a blank/rod to cast 4 oz. metal over the second bars. How is the new Diawa Saltist for distance casting?

Sgt Striper
11-14-2011, 06:15 PM
What model name is the 1265 in question? I'm looking for a blank/rod to cast 4 oz. metal over the second bars. How is the new Diawa Saltist for distance casting?

The SS1265 1-3 oz. is the Sling Shot series,(and great for throwing Nike's:uhuh:) for throwing metal in the 2-5oz. You would need to go to the SS1327 which is a light weight rod for an 11' and will do what your looking for. My builder has 2 of them he is working on and I may just have to get one in the near future. Impressive blank to say the least.

stripermaineiac
11-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Got one of these I built an it's a great rod but the flexability downward is't quite the same as the 1265.But it does have some very surprising power for the heavier stuff.