View Full Version : Winter Plans! Plug Wise!!

BigFish
10-28-2011, 08:13 AM
So whats on your building agenda for this winter?? Thought about it yet?? I am going to work on several cloning projects and finish a few leftover from last winter!! Gotta get my wood stove setup finally!!:uhuh:

Sgt Striper
10-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Was just thinking of posting the same thing, been quiet here so I guess all you guys have been busy catching :confused:!
Many projects in my head, got idea's for the Banana, make some large versions of Nike Jr. 8.5", refine my large Pikie, try something Gary (Bigwater) has been working on (my version) and maybe even try Darter hell!! Who knows what else, I'm all over like fly's on poo. Hopefully a very productive and educational winter.

The Dad Fisherman
10-28-2011, 09:41 AM
wanna make some trolling plugs for the yak....probably GooGoo eyes and Gibbs Troller knock-offs.

capesams
10-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Still a few from the 40's-50's I havn't gotten into yet...maybe a couple from the early 60's,but nothing newer then that as everything after is just a rehash of the by gone days in one shape or another and they get boring to make.

Rockfish9
10-28-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm low on Goo-goo's.. so that needs to be addressed....
as does small and large pencils.. seems I've given most of them away...

I need to make a bunch of bottles. I've found a niche for them in my wire line trolling box...

lastly on the must do's.. is a 3 piece lipless ( no metal ) swimmer I've been puttering with for a few years now... I want it for next spring... I've got it close but it needs a little tweaking...

I have a large gibbs troller that I havn't made in a few years... I ought to make a few of them as i only have a few left..

saltydog
10-28-2011, 12:16 PM
I got so much Ive wanted to do, an havent tried YET starting w. marbeling:fury: anything is going to be fun:smash: an a bunch for PLUGFEST to swap :love:
GOOD LUCK GOOD PLUGGIN:uhuh:

Hookedagain
10-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Looking forward to this winter so I can try some new stuff. Now that I'm working in a stair shop I have tons of different wood to try turning. I have some older plugs that were my dads that I will be copying. (Capt. Bills). Also stocking up on Danny's and Pencils. And hopefully some trage bait for Plugfest.

I know its early but has there been any dates thrown around for Plugfest yet?

stripermaineiac
10-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Just found a bunch of Creek Chub Pikie lips on e-bay. Gonna put some time into adding some of them to the plug bag. Even looking at doing some smaller versions using the big lips so the swim deeper at slower speeds.

striperman36
10-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Break in to MuskySlayer's house when he's not home

Raven
10-29-2011, 04:13 AM
winter isn't here yet
i'm still hoping for a Romney
flip flop fall season

Larry, install a working
fire prevention system

pbadad
10-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Haven't decided if I'll make bodys from current templates or work on a smaller/thinner needle. Create a needle 6" and 5/8" diameter. Simulate the small bait thats been in the areas. Able to put on a normal skin from leftover eeling trips and vary the loading for different water columns and casting abilities.

nightfighter
10-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Spooks, pencils, some topwater tuna lures, and work out a system for painting a consistent mackeral pattern. Add a ventilation system for painting in the shop, and an airbrush.

Diggin Jiggin
10-29-2011, 09:02 AM
I need to make replacement darters and pencils. They seem to be about the only wood I consistantly catch on.

Need to make some super thin super heavy needles that can cast into a very strong headwind...

Slipknot
10-29-2011, 04:03 PM
I know its early but has there been any dates thrown around for Plugfest yet?

I started a thread but got little response

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/plug-building-got-wood/72843-what-date-should-we-have-plugfest-2012-a.html

it would be nice to know when the jersey guys have surfday before we set a date

Night Shift
10-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Learn the basics.

You've got to start somewhere.

ProfessorM
10-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Learn the basics.

that is the best part, after you figure out the sequences it isn't as much fun , for me anyway. Good luck and enjoy the process.

nightfighter
10-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Learn the basics.

Given that you have been Joe's fishing partner.... I think you will find your learning curve pretty steep. He is a wealth of information and has jigs for most of the difficult steps. Rockfish9, Numbskull, and Capesams would have to be the top three I would want to apprentice with.

Swimmer
10-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Improve on the plugs I made last year that didn't swim finished anywhere near what they did unfinished in the river behind my house. Move on from there.

Tagger
10-29-2011, 05:43 PM
I'd just like to get back into it a little bit .. With the economy bad last few years and not working in the winter haven't had the extra doe to fuel this hobby .. burn out a little too, no doubt .

Muskyslayer96
10-30-2011, 07:08 AM
Great topic.

I have a lot of hope for the building season. There has been a lot of interest in the flaptails and the J-bugs, so I have a lot of those to build.
I love the surfsters and will make them in two sizes and two weights for each size.

I had great luck slaying muskies with gliders this season, and plan on making two sizes of this type of glider (my version of the Seacow/ manta) very tricky to weight, they are an underwater neutrally buoyant glide bait. This pic about 10" and almost 6oz.

http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac37/muskyslayer4430/manta_10.jpg

I want to try some Goo Goos and work dilligently at adding some new, more complex paint patterns. Shop is in chaos right now, thats this weekends project.

Sad to have to prep the boat and put away for the year, but very excited to get building. I hope the snow out East isn't too bad for you guys, saw the strom damage on the news.....Geeshhhh!

MS

saltyric
10-31-2011, 06:17 AM
I will be happy to just get back turning........Kids/ new house have slowed me up the past couple of winters......The man cave is finally set up and ready to roll.

Eric Roach
10-31-2011, 06:30 AM
1. Figure out how to get my 9.5" spook design to walk, but still keep it under 4.5 oz.
2. Make a bunch of miniature Ranger knockoffs for the spring blue-fishery on the Cape, which sadly has become the most consistent and productive fishing of the year.
3. Create a small waking needle with dimensions closer to a sand eel...Same thing for a sinking needle.
4. Replicate a pencil prototype.

Aside from that, I want to at least rough-out my painting/finishing area.

I also have to build a 1321M that I broke on Block Island, as well as a few other rods and repairs for friends/family.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

blondterror
10-31-2011, 06:34 AM
Make a few Weasel plugs, learn how to use an air brush, and make some spooks

numbskull
10-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Too soon for me to start making plans. Not until the fish are gone , boat to bed, and Christmas angst gone. That said, some more small darters are definitely in the future. They earned it.

iamskippy
10-31-2011, 11:46 AM
I am not sure what the out come of my spine / back surgery is going to be but, i am have someone kind enough to accept a care package ;) from me and help me with my spring fishing needs :p
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

johnny ducketts
11-04-2011, 08:31 AM
mess around with the super plast, ala dahlberg style baits and molds, would really like to build a couple of weasels this winter too.