View Full Version : epoxy ?

shark lobster
11-01-2011, 01:32 PM
ive never used epoxy before to finish a plug so today i finaly tried it ,,, how do you work with this stuff ,,, im using deavcon this stuff is thick gloppy , putting on with a acid brush not very pretty . what am i doing wrong?

UserRemoved1
11-01-2011, 02:24 PM
thin it with a little acetone or denatured alcohol

shark lobster
11-01-2011, 02:27 PM
ahh thanks man ,,, that will help ,, is there a better epoxy or are they all the same ,,, also is foam brush better than the acid brush?

blondterror
11-01-2011, 02:33 PM
you can re-use an acid brush by cleaning it with acetone in a small pill cup.. then paint off the remaining acetone on a paper towel and place in a baggie to keep it relatively dust free... warming epoxy in a warm water bath or near an in-efficient furnace prior to mixing equal parts makes it thinner as well... I prefer devco 2T but it gets pricey... would be nice if the larger sizes (50ml) were available to layman...

The Dad Fisherman
11-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I use the devcon 2 ton all the time. I don't thin it, I just make sure it gets warmed up before mixing it by putting the bottles in some warm tap water. I take the Acid Brushes and cut the bristles down 1/2 way and it makes it easier to spread. After I spread it I spin it over a Alcohol lamp for a few seconds to get the bubbles out and hang it....done

The only problem w/ devcon is you can only do one plug at a time....but you don't need a spinner for it which is a plus

I prefer devco 2T but it gets pricey... would be nice if the larger sizes (50ml) were available to layman...

They Are......

http://www.amazon.com/Devcon-Epoxy-Ton-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B005K091ZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320177194&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41iMmDIN6ZL._SS500_.jpg

GattaFish
11-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Epoxy stinks,,,,

blondterror
11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the link... just what I wanted

UserRemoved1
11-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Keep your bristles short. I have some nice brushes on my site that are perfect for epoxy and don't lose hair like the brown and black ones do.

If you ever have a thing of resin crystallize/turn white then put it in a bowl of hot water for a while it will break it all down into good resin again.

30 minute epoxy or longer for coating lures. 5 minute will yellow. If your trying to bang something out to go fishing the next day then use the 5 minute thinned it takes 3-4 weeks usually for them to start to yellow.

shark lobster
11-01-2011, 04:29 PM
thanks guys great info ,were do you get the large bottles , of epoxy?

blondterror
11-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Amazon for the Devco 2ton,, Michaels for the eTex (use 50% web based coupons)

johnny ducketts
11-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I like foam brushes, and warm mine in water like the guys above do, and never had an issue with the coat coming off the plug.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Rockfish9
11-02-2011, 08:16 AM
I use the Envirotex lite.... warm prior to mixing applied with a 3/8" acid brush... a drop of super glue around the base of the brush stops all the shedding...

saltyric
11-02-2011, 11:24 AM
ahhh. Nice tip on the superglue! I'm always picking bristles out!

Rockfish9
11-02-2011, 11:34 AM
ahhh. Nice tip on the superglue! I'm always picking bristles out!

Not an original Idea with me.. i think Keith( Black Talon) was the first one I saw post the tip...

O.D. Mike
11-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I use the Envirotex lite.... warm prior to mixing applied with a 3/8" acid brush... a drop of super glue around the base of the brush stops all the shedding...

How do you warm it? Thanks for sharing the tip with the super glue!!!

I keep tooth picks handy to pick out sheddings... (Thanks Ecduzitgood)

The Dad Fisherman
11-03-2011, 05:22 AM
How do you warm it? Thanks for sharing the tip with the super glue!!!

I keep tooth picks handy to pick out sheddings... (Thanks Ecduzitgood)

Put the bottles in a tupperware container of hot water before you mix it.

I use a pin to pick out the bristles.....like the superglue trick though....gonna have to try that one

Rockfish9
11-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Put the bottles in a tupperware container of hot water before you mix it.

I use a pin to pick out the bristles.....like the superglue trick though....gonna have to try that one

I heat mine in the lower chamber of the spinner one on each side of a 40 watt light bulb..

Mojo7
01-09-2012, 01:20 PM
If using acetone how much do you use to thin it? Does heating the epoxy up before use shorten the time you have to apply it?

Slipknot
01-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Not a heck of a lot, five percent maybe, you can always add a tiny amount more

Temp. Does effect open work time yes

Rockfish9
01-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I've found that working with smaller Batches works best...i use a teaspoon and find 3 TSP of hardner & 3 TSP of resin will put a nice coat on 12 medium ( 6") or 6 large (8") plugs before the mixture becomes too difficult to work with.... I've also found that if the box is heated ( thus warming the plugs to 75-80 degrees) that even a mixture that is beginning to set slighly will run a little loser once applied to the plug giving me a little more time to be sure that the plug is coated well....
when I mix the second batch ( if I'm doing more than a dozen) I wipe my container clean with a paper towel, and do the same with the brush.. squeezing out as much epoxy from the bristles as possible.. mix my next batch.. I've been using this method for the last 5 or 6 years without a single issue..