View Full Version : Surfcasting Safety

RI Plugger
11-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I have been using an inflatable PFD and I now have a new SPOT GPS unit. I think we need to address the safety issues regarding the sport of surfcasting. There is a idea that this only happens to inexperienced newbie's without the correct equipment and this is true to a point, but we can not hide behind that and then not take simple precautions such as using PFD in certain spots. It would be great to see some type of inflatable PFD made that somehow integrates easily with waders. Most guys I know like wearing waders and if they somehow had a inflatable PFD built into the shoulder straps there would be more guys out there with PFD's on.

I guess the more guys that start wearing PFD the more the stigma will disappear.

Is there still stigma attach to fishing with a PFD?

JohnR
11-02-2011, 01:04 PM
I have been using an inflatable PFD and I now have a new SPOT GPS unit. I think we need to address the safety issues regarding the sport of surfcasting. There is a idea that this only happens to inexperienced newbie's without the correct equipment and this is true to a point, but we can not hide behind that and then not take simple precautions such as using PFD in certain spots. It would be great to see some type of inflatable PFD made that somehow integrates easily with waders. Most guys I know like wearing waders and if they somehow had a inflatable PFD built into the shoulder straps there would be more guys out there with PFD's on.

I guess the more guys that start wearing PFD the more the stigma will disappear.

Is there still stigma attach to fishing with a PFD?

I keep meaning to get something, especially for the rare time I venture in a wetsuit. I too would like to see some options.

We have lost more than few people over time that may still be here with the use of a PFD.

rickhern
11-02-2011, 01:28 PM
As I mentioned in the other post, I ALWAYS wear a lifevest when I am in the surf and I use a wetsuit 95% of the time. I use a Kayaking vest that leaves the arms very mobile. I know some will say that the wet suit is buoyant enough and I still get some strange glances but the most important thing for me is returning home. The funny part is that although the vest was initially a bit cumbersome, I now don't feel ready to fish without it on. The vest is NOT the type that inflates, as I am not willing to trust my life on one for a little more comfort. An additional benefit is another layer of core insulation that helps quite a bit on cool nights.

Let's not have any more avoidable tragedies.

Sea Dangles
11-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I got an inflatable vest for when I boat at night. I saw Likwid post a pic of a lamp you can clip onto it and I think I will grab one of those too.Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Some situations can not be cured with experience.

basswipe
11-02-2011, 04:42 PM
After today's death we should all be thinking safety.

piemma
11-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I got an inflatable vest for when I boat at night. I saw Likwid post a pic of a lamp you can clip onto it and I think I will grab one of those too.Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Some situations can not be cured with experience.

Chris i bought a strobe that activates when you hit the water. i have it clipped to my life vest which I do where when I fish alone at night in the boat

Sea Dangles
11-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Paul wtf, if you fish alone who is turning the boat around to find you?I was leaving sow & pigs this summer and went to get on plane for the ride up the bay,went from fast to slow in a hurry. One wave can do that sometimes and I saw the look on TonyO's face that told me he was out of his comfort zone.Fishing is fun but I always want to come home.Oh yeah,Paulie, he is fluking crazy.

Fishoholic
11-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I wear an inflatable PFD when fishing in waders on b-ways during high surf conditions. It's a manual because the "button style auto" will eventually inflate if you keep taking waves to the chest and the hydrostatic one is too expensive for me. If I happen to get knocked out on the way in, then I guess it's my time. If I plan on being in the water while rock hopping and the surf is up, I put on a wetsuit. I swim like a fish and don't feel the need for a pfd with one on. If I'm alone on a boat I always wear my pfd and try to remember to attach the safety lanyard when driving.

Something you boat guys should look into especially if you fish alone or with just your kids is Auto-tether. It is a wireless safety lanyard that kills the motor once you fall in. Pretty cool, easy to install and not that expensive.