View Full Version : Skiers

Got Stripers
11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Ok, the boat is emptied and I'm going to focus on fall golf and winter skiing. Anyone interested in a Striped-Bass day trip for some skiing? I'm a working stiff, so it would be a weekend day trip (like Sunapee because its close). Once or twice a season I try for Sunday River, once I know they have had laid down a good base and I try to shoot for a weekend with a dump predicted just before or during.

Certainly a good way to share the ride and gas, whether we share the day on the slopes, depends on ability I guess. I'm an expert skier (used to teach), so as much as I like company, I'll be skiing some better trails; depending on the back this year of course. Don't need to live on the double blacks, but do like a challange.

Who among us like the steep and deep?

HanoverStriper
11-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I would be interested with enough advanced notice to plan. I also tought for 5 years, but don't get out much any more (kids). Let me know.

MikeD
11-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I like where you head is at. Sad to see the fishing wind down but looking forward to some last minute drop everything and go missions up to VT. I really don't enjoy Killington but usually head up there early in the season to get some turns in. Here's a link for an early season 2 for 1 (have to go before 12/16).

Killington - Buy One Get One Free at Killington (http://www.killington.com/winter/2for1/2for1-skimag)

I'll keep an eye out for potential trips. It won't be long.

Mike

MarshCappa
11-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I have a season pass at Cannon. If you guys want to head there keep me posted. I love to ski with new people.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-02-2011, 07:08 PM
if anyone gets up to Sugarbush let me know,might even be able to get some discount tickets for you.i coach on the weekends

MikeD
11-02-2011, 09:45 PM
I love Sugarbush and MRG. We stay at the Hyde Away a few times a season. Hanging with Bob the bartender after a powder day enjoying a rainbow red is pretty close to heaven for me. It looks like access to the Roxbury gap road is blocked from the south due to Irene still. Thats what I heard as of mid October anyways. Do you know anything about that fish in VT?

Tagger
11-03-2011, 03:46 AM
I try to go to Sunnapee a few times mid week ,, 2 for 0ne .. no crowds ,, They make great snow and a great little mountain .. Sunday River is a haul just for a day trip, for me .. ..

johnny ducketts
11-03-2011, 04:20 AM
I'd be down for it, haven't skied in ages, but used to live in the adirondacks, and we'd always go to whiteface in lake placid.

Got Stripers
11-03-2011, 07:10 AM
I have a season pass at Cannon. If you guys want to head there keep me posted. I love to ski with new people.

If you up there new years maybe we can hook up for a day, girlfriend and another couple are in North Conway for the weekend; but I'm the only skier. I will try to ski one of the two days anyway.

Anyone heading out west this winter, I actually gave up skiing for 15 years, so its been 20+ years since I was out. Miss the champaigne power of Alta and Snowbird.

MarshCappa
11-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Check this out from last season. My buddy was right on my tail filming it with his Go Pro cam. Top to bottom baby!! I hit the lodge after that run and had a beer!:gu:

SunnydayCannon - YouTube (http://youtu.be/qbYchmg80qc)

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-03-2011, 09:34 PM
my son just left for Breckenridge Col. for the season or longer,hopefully i will head out when the program i coach is over. Got Strypers,if you haven't skiied in a while you will be surprised at the ease of skiing with the new type skiis

Poncho
11-04-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm in for an sb ski day I try to go every weekend, belong to a ski club

Poncho
11-04-2011, 06:10 AM
nice turns marsh cappa cool vid thanks for sharing. got me pumped up to ski

agroangler
11-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Ok, the boat is emptied and I'm going to focus on fall golf and winter skiing. Anyone interested in a Striped-Bass day trip for some skiing? I'm a working stiff, so it would be a weekend day trip (like Sunapee because its close). Once or twice a season I try for Sunday River, once I know they have had laid down a good base and I try to shoot for a weekend with a dump predicted just before or during.

Certainly a good way to share the ride and gas, whether we share the day on the slopes, depends on ability I guess. I'm an expert skier (used to teach), so as much as I like company, I'll be skiing some better trails; depending on the back this year of course. Don't need to live on the double blacks, but do like a challange.

Who among us like the steep and deep?

I'm your huckleberry. I grew up in Tahoe ski hard and fast don't live in the double blacks any more due to knees and back but can ski anything. Was there some sort of trade to be made here, or just looking for a ski buddy?

MarshCappa
11-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Check this one out. My buddy hiked up in May when Cannon was closed and made the final runs of his season. Sick bastard!

CannonMay9 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/40SDqxut3no)

MarshCappa
11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
This is more of the type of skiing I like to do. These shots taken out in back of my buddy's condo in Lincoln.

ChillyRide - YouTube (http://youtu.be/M6UZ-yW_vYg)

Sea Dangles
11-04-2011, 08:59 AM
If you ski Cannon a lot and have never gone off the back to Tucker Brook trail then look into it. You have to park a car at the end of the trail and drive back to the mountain,oh don't make any wrong turns either.Wildcat has a similar opportunity,but too much flat terrain.

MarshCappa
11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
If you ski Cannon a lot and have never gone off the back to Tucker Brook trail then look into it. You have to park a car at the end of the trail and drive back to the mountain,oh don't make any wrong turns either.Wildcat has a similar opportunity,but too much flat terrain.

DUDE SERIOUS SPOT BURN!!!!!!!!!!!:smash::nailem:

It was bad enough when Cannon opened up Mittersil now we have every tom #^&#^&#^&#^& and harry thinking they are back country skiers! I'm just kidding around with the spot burn although some would probably argue that here. Tucker Brook has been around before Cannon officially became a ski mountain. I do it 2-3 times a year if conditions are right. It get's very flat once it links with the cross country trails. Sick at the top of it though and that's why we do it.

MikeD
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
MarshCappa, your dog is a ripper!

This has been my "getting pumped" go to video lately. Pre Go Pro. These guys ski demensions were probably 59-59-59. Gotta get me a pair of those star pants.

Alta Utah Powder Skiing Jan 5, 1974 HQ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-liVCYKHEs)

bassballer
11-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Anyone ride bruce's trail at Stowe. Stowe has the Best backcountry in the east. Period.

blondterror
11-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Mike D- Sweet old school Alta video... I love Alta... such a pure skiing experience.. nice footage of High Rustler and devil's castle on that footage. You need to do a lot of high transverses @ Alta to access some of the choice terrain. I went to UVM so I skied Mad River a lot from 73-77... I enjoy tree skiing a lot . MRG has great woods skiing as does Stowe, Jay Peak, Steamboat, Breck, and Sugarbush... castlerock at the Bush is right up there with Mad River and Stowe for the best terrain in the east IMHO.

We have a place at Sunapee so I ski there the most but get over to the Mad River valley 3-4 times each yr when the freshies are around..

Got Stripers
11-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Sweat powda, but man I can't imagine sking that stuff with just sun glasses, been there and hated that. I remember the first trip out west as a rookie powda skier from out east, two lessons I learned early on, better have safety straps and googles. Remember the first run on Snowbird, blowing snow, damn near white out and caught a buried obsticle and blew out of both bindings only to turn around and see no skis. Took me and 2 buddies 30 minutes of probing with ski poles to find both skis and get going again. Next day sunny, warm and not a breath of air, I think sun glasses, big mistake in deep power. Man I hope my back is up for it this year, I'm getting pumped up.

MikeD
11-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Blonde Terror, I went to Champlain up in Burlington and had a pass at Stowe for 6 years. I actually was the top attendant on the Gondy for 3 years. Love all the places you mentioned. Ski with the Point (a radio station up there) used to have this coupon book where you could ski a different mountain every friday for 15 bucks. It was a great deal. We would always hit the MRG, Jay, Smuggs, and Bush days to mix it up. Alta is the Mecca though. That place is amazing, I'll be out there skiing Alta, Bird, Brighton and Solitude in early march. Cant wait.

Got stripers, first time skiing out west it snowed 30 inches the first night we were at snowbird. Dropped into an untouched bowl and my buddy double ejected. Took 45 minutes to find both skis. A patrolman with an avy dog came over and my buddy was trying to get the dog to sniff his ski to locate the other one. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. This thread is getting me so pumped up to ski.

nightfighter
11-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd be game for it. Had the urge late last season, but the knee wasn't good. Been feeling pretty good for a month or so, now. Been 12 years, but has to be like riding a bike. Used to love the steeps, but steep means bumps, and I can't pound anymore. No more cliffs either... Squaw had some great cliffs. I'll be happy on some challenging cruisers...
Assuming my almost new 14 yo GS boots will be still good, assuming they fit.... Will leave the old K2 207s and Volkls in the basement and rent. The new shape (wider shovel)of skis will require less knee angulation, and that means more runs in a day for me.
I'm good as a designated driver too....

blondterror
11-04-2011, 12:33 PM
here are a few ski pictures to get people psyched for the upcoming season...

Jupiter Bowl.... walk up access @ Park City... only open in the spring

back Bowls @ Vail

Off Piste @ Snowbird ... this cornice is always there and constantly reforms with the prevailing wind

People have already been getting in a few turns in the past week @ Mad River and at the upper snowfields @ Mt Washington (Weather Observatory staff)

blondterror
11-04-2011, 12:43 PM
a few more New England Ski Area pics...

these were all taken at Mad River Glen on a powder day 2 seasons ago... midweek after a big multi-day storm and then the sun came out and they opened the upper mt after closed due to wind for 2-3 days... skiing was heaven on earth that day on only about 300 people at the mt that day...

Sea Dangles
11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Anyone ride bruce's trail at Stowe. Stowe has the Best backcountry in the east. Period.

Never been to Jay I guess.

bassballer
11-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Ive been to Jay. Tree riding at Jay was good. But i just think the hiking and backcountry at stowe is better.

blondterror
11-04-2011, 12:53 PM
this one is for Nightfighter...

we went out to Steamboat many moons ago with Ted & Dave Cooke (Marblehood ski/sail family) and Eric Leafquist (A Laser sailing friend) and this was taken during a great day on the hill..

Nothing like a cold brewski after a day of skiing... they go down real smooth...

bassballer
11-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Couple picks from heavenly from a couple years back. Cant wait to get back out there.

bassballer
11-04-2011, 12:57 PM
this one is for Nightfighter...

we went out to Steamboat many moons ago with Ted & Dave Cooke (Marblehood ski/sail family) and Eric Leafquist (A Laser sailing friend) and this was taken during a great day on the hill..

Nothing like a cold brewski after a day of skiing... they go down real smooth...

Look at those sweaters! Vintage. I like it.

MikeD
11-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Hahahaha, the Stowe vs. Jay debate. I agree with Bass baller just becasue I know where to go at Stowe, but Jay has the goods. Their are lines under the Tram that are world class. Have heard people swear by sugarloaf in ME too. I've never been.

bassballer
11-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Digging this mountain talk.

Ive been to the loaf once but the snowfields were closed.

Jay is my 2nd favorite mountain in the east. Ive just had alot of good pow days at Stowe, just getting lost in the woods. Man im itching to ride.

blondterror
11-04-2011, 01:33 PM
few more pictures to keep the ski juices flowin...

me skiing Nosedive when I was @ UVM... some great woods skiing off Nosedive!

Top of Pallavicini at Arapahoe basin... great local area that is mostly above treeline... flat light and no trees make it hard to see the bumps!

View from Imperial lift @ Breckenridge... 13,000 feet at summit then hike up to get to the back country access... hike up slowly at that elevation ... you feel it in your lungs!

blondterror
11-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Ive been to Jay. Tree riding at Jay was good. But i just think the hiking and backcountry at stowe is better.

The woods skiing off Nosedive and Goat can be excellent...

MikeD
11-04-2011, 01:42 PM
That picture of your crew at Steamboat is a classic. The ski sweater really needs to make a comeback. I've got a great pair of old CB stretch pants with the padded shins that would look lovely with a sweater like that for a retro day.

You ever stay at the Brighton Lodge in Big Cottonwood, its right at the base next to Molly's. You can do it real cheap. We stayed there last year. Place is as bare bones as it gets but you ski, get wings and pitchers at Molly's, walk to your bed, roll out of bed right on to first chair. Its a great set up if your not looking for the Deer Valley experience.

bassballer
11-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Most underated small mountain VT....Bolton valley. Great woods skiing, always gets pounded with snow, nice natural terrain for drops, and stuff. Good park too. We usually shoot sat morning hit bolton for the day, then head up and stay in stowe and ride stowe sunday.

We should start a whole different thread for apres!

MikeD
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Again my stowe bias. I love the Matterhorn good drafts and good food. Rusty Nail can be fun as well. When I'm at Sugarbush we'll do a quick one at the Castlerock pub then head back to the pub at the hyde away. Good vibe in there. Play good tunes, can shoot pool, and chow wings.

blondterror
11-04-2011, 02:30 PM
ah hah.. The Matterhorn and the rusty nail are booth great Stowe bars.. always remember plenty of Foxy babes at those bars... I also like both the Blue tooth at sugarbush (gone now) and Gallaghers in waitsfield (also gone). Gallaghers used to have dime beers on friday nights (and great Foosball) when I was in college... a few yrs ago.. we used to go night skiing at Bolton... they get a lot of snow there... we also used to XC ski between Bolton and Stowe in Feb (big snowpack)( on a perfect bluebird day... great trail and views...

We used to stay at Goldminer's daughter.. the least expensive place at the base of Alta... we were there 3-4 days before one of the wings blew up in a propane explosion.. I remember telling my wife... I smell propane.. blast was midday.. only one chambermaid hurt...

bassballer
11-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Great nights at the rusty nail. Sat night get nuts there, and good bands. Matthorns at all the mountains are good. and of course the pickle barrel kicks ass too.

Theres a mexican place at stowe called ritas that is killer!

The moat in north conway is good too.

tysdad115
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I would be up if time /finances allow. Tyler is real interested in learning to snow board. I haven't been on my skis in 13 years or so. I used to go a ton, 25-30 times a year all over Maine,VT,NH..then I did a 10 day trip to Lake Louise in Canada and followed that with 5 days at Snowbird/Alta.Those places totally ruined what skiing used to be. Real mountains ,unbelievable conditions. I haven't skied since then, couldn't stand the "Ski here/Dont ski here" attitude of the local mountains. Lost my lift ticket a few times and outran patrol a few more. Horrendous lift lines and general a-hole people ruined skiing for me in New England.

MarshCappa
11-04-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm loving this thread!!!! great to see we got some die hards here on SB! Doesn't surprise me. IMO my favorite mountain is the one I'm skiing that particular day. I've ski'd 90% of the mountains mentioned in this thread and have had some great experiences. Here's my East vs West rankings:

West

1. Whistler/Blackcomb, I did a trip in 99' out there and almost didn't come home I liked it so much. Hit Mt. Baker in WA on the drive from Seattle and had an epic day. They broke the world record that year for measurable snowfall at a ski resort.

2. A-Basin
3. Copper
4. Snow Bird
5. Winter Park/Mary Jane
5. Park City
6. Steamboat
7. Park City
8. The Canyons

East

1. Jay Peak
2. Sugarbush
3. Cannon(it's my mountain and should be #1)
4. Wildcat
5. Sugarloaf
6. Sunday River
7. Stowe(should be higher I know but I've only ski'd it twice)
8. Magic(some sick stuff under the lifts if there's snow)

Tuckermans is really number 1 but it's not a resort or lift served so i didn't rank it. I used to do an anual pilgrimage in April/May and have ski'd the lip, left gully, and hillmans each a few times. I wouldn't consider it now unless I get in better shape.

I stay away from the Loons, Cranmor's, Attitash's, Killington's(not Pico),Mt. Snow's, and Bretton Woods of the worlds as there are generally just too many people there who don't know what's going on. Burke is on my to do list. My friend who I stay with in Lincoln went a couple of times last season and really liked it. No crowds and good terrain though he did mention the lifts are less to be desired. Sadly i have never ski'd Mad River and that is just a shame because I know I would love it.

Sounds like we have the makings for a decent crew. We should coordinate something this year. My soon to be 7 year old really made head way last year and we were skiing blue's together which blew me away!

blondterror
11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Speaking on the Matterhorn @ Stowe... here is a great family shot taken from Zermatt about 20 yrs ago... me, wife Martha, my BIL Jack, and my sister Betsy.... we had a blast no fresh snow but a week of sun...

And the Pickle Barrel keeps going strong after so many years... classic ski bar

MarshCappa
11-04-2011, 02:55 PM
1st pic is me making a double chair look like a single at A-Basin 6 years ago. 2nd is my accomadations at Winter Park! :biglaugh: I always manage to attract the dogs!!!:rotf2: 3rd is the Mary Jane mid mountain lodge! God I have to get back there!!! My friends own a condo out there and live in RI so if anyone wants a great CO rental let me know.

MarshCappa
11-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Speaking on the Matterhorn @ Stowe... here is a great family shot taken from Zermatt about 20 yrs ago... me, wife Martha, my BIL Jack, and my sister Betsy.... we had a blast no fresh snow but a week of sun...

And the Pickle Barrel keeps going strong after so many years... classic ski bar

GREAT PICS!!!!!!!!

blondterror
11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
need to add a few to your Western ski areas:

Beaver Creek (Birds of Prey is amazing)
Vail (incredible variety and the back bowls are huge)
Jackson Hole..(plenty of steep and cool chutes)
Alta similar to Snowbird but like MRG ... no snowboards allowed
Aspen the original ski town... great terrain and even better nightlife

tysdad115
11-04-2011, 03:08 PM
How about a Longest/Coldest lift ride...mines easy. The olympic double chair at Lake Louise in Banff. The absolute coldest half hour ride of my life, but it took us to a great spot where another half hour hike brought you to the top of some nice steep drops.

MarshCappa
11-04-2011, 03:11 PM
need to add a few to your Western ski areas:

Beaver Creek (Birds of Prey is amazing)
Vail (incredible variety and the back bowls are huge)
Jackson Hole..(plenty of steep and cool chutes)
Alta similar to Snowbird but like MRG ... no snowboards allowed
Aspen the original ski town... great terrain and even better nightlife

Oh I'm sure of that! So many I haven't been too. When I was at Park City following the olympic year Brighton was on my to do list but never got checked off. I opted for another day at Snow Bird instead which I don't regret.

Anybody here ever ski in Alaska?

blondterror
11-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Lake Louise & Sunshine are 2 areas that I want to check out... I went on my (summer) honeymoon to that area and Jasper and it is so beautiful... we did stay one night at the Lake Louise hotel... the mountains ... 30 minute chairlift ride is a friggin long ride... if it was cold and windy I can see that would be wicked ... I bet you were glad to hike to warm up...

I remember some very cold chairlift rides at both Stowe (when they had the single chair and blankets) and Mad River... I miss the chair blankets:fury:

MikeD
11-04-2011, 03:20 PM
the Zermatt photo looks like an ad for Vuarnet Cateye Sunglasses! Thats an awesome shot.

Love the rankings MarshCappa, I need to see Jackson Hole on that west coast list. But everyone has had experiences at different mountains that make them feel a certain way. I need to get to A-Basin. I've heard Magic is an excellent mountain with a good core group of diehards. I fell in love with Cannon last season. Got up there right after both big NorEasters. Wish they hadnt opened that Mittersill chair. That hike was a piece of cake and you could just lap soft snow and cut out early back to the lifts. Now it seems to get chopped up early and some people shouldnt have access to natural terrain. Also a great call by Bassballer on Bolton, place is way underrated.

I'm way to giddy right now. I'm putting my ski boots on when I get home.

Rockport24
11-04-2011, 03:45 PM
don't do too much skiing anymore, but always do two weekends a season and one is always at Sugarloaf, which is a great mountain. the snowfields are never open, but we got on them this past year for the first time in like 6 years and it was pretty damn cool, but I am just so spoiled by groomed terrain it was a challenge for sure.

tysdad115
11-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I recommend checking out LL and Sunshine Chris. There is a reason why its usually voted #1 in scenery. Absolutely beautiful out there. I never hit the hot springs, as we opted for a night out in Calgary..but we wont talk about that.

Sea Dangles
11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Bolton is a lot of fun,great little mountain.
Put Smugs on that list too,Robins Run makes a day,under the ropes for that one.
Saddleback in Maine is also worth the trip,Doc Dempseys is memorable.

HanoverStriper
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I went to Norwich (for a year) and skied Sugarbush and Stowe a lot. Later in life I taught full time at a resort in WV for 3 years (Snowshoe), and then 2 years at Okemo. Blew out my ACL and MCL in 2000, and made a lifestyle change. Don't get out as much as I would like to now, but would love to do a day trip or two.

Been to A-Basin, Breck, Vail, and Copper. Got to get back out west at some point.

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Blood terror,spent a few dollars on dimies at the blue tooth back in the day.little jealous of those that can get out west,in 45 years of skiing only skied out west 2 times,both at Squaw .as far as the east i am partial to the MRV,Sugarbush and Mad River.when the kids raced i skied most of the areas in northern Vt and i have to say that conditions are usually better in the Vall;ey than any were else other than Jay.plus i think the layout at Sugarbush and MRG are the most user freindly.i hate to say it but tree skiing as gotten to the point that there are more tracks to be had on the trails than in the woods.skied at Smuggs in 74 and 75 when i was at St Mikes, gets a little crowded for my taste,don't like waiting in lines.that is the great thing about coaching on the weekends,can use the ski school line with no waiting and just no spot burning,seeing people sliding down your line in the woods is as bad as people casting over your line fishing.:)

blondterror
11-04-2011, 04:59 PM
the Zermatt photo looks like an ad for Vuarnet Cateye Sunglasses! Thats an awesome shot.

My sister Betsy lived in Paris for about 5 yrs in the early 80s back when the Vuarnet's were hot and the exchange rate for the $ vs the Franc was great...

I still have pair of Cateyes... they are wicked good on the water... clouds look great and no glare..

I bought a pair of race grade Rossi (ST650s) for $100 US in Paris went out to lunch at a Vietnamese place and then picked up skis with bindings already mounted .. we took a train from Paris to Zermatt that night... Those were the days when the $ was worth something... but the Swiss/US currency exchange was not as good

nightfighter
11-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Family did a Zermatt christmas in 1971, because my sister was an exchange student in England. Awesome time. Free reign of the mountains all day, clubbing at night, 14 years old and could drink...First memories of being buzzed. I would take off in the morning with lunch in a pack and come ski back into town at dark. Can't believe my parents let me do that.... Lifts there could have you almost ten miles from town. I went everywhere I could find on the maps. Some locals in their late teens or twenties took me to some of their favorite areas. All I could do to keep up, but I thought I was the catsazz... Met a lot of people, none were American. No cars or trucks in town back then. All horse drawn sleighs. Played a game for the local youth hockey team while I was there too. Thanks for posting that pic, Chris. It jarred a lot of forgotten stuff. Some of my best memories of time with my father from that trip. Good times. Simpler times.

bassballer
11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Bolton is a lot of fun,great little mountain.
Put Smugs on that list too,Robins Run makes a day,under the ropes for that one.
Saddleback in Maine is also worth the trip,Doc Dempseys is memorable.

Yup. Took the trip to saddleback last year. Top ten riding day I've ever had. Hiked to muleskinner from the top with a foot of fresh. Tough trail lots of rock drops.

bassballer
11-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Oh and this thread kicks ass

blondterror
11-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Ross- we have some great memories from our spring ski trip to Zermatt... my sister brought her Fox terrier.. in Europe people bring dogs to restaurants all the time... he would get bones brought to him from the wait staff... he left and went bar hopping ... we found him down the street in a bar about an hour later... we would stop at an on mt pub called Otmars on our last run and drink and sing till it was dark.. then you put your skis back on and ski down bobsled like trails into the village laughing the whole way down.. here is a pic of what may be Otmars or a lunch spot on the mt... we also skied over to Cervenia (Italy) for lunch one day

MarshCappa
11-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Wow Ross what cool memories of you France trip! Very jealous! Thanks for sharing that. Can you imagine packing your kid off with a lunch and sending them on their way in the mountains?! Amazing experience. I need to go to Europe someday. It's on the bucket list now. It will be goal for when my son gets older.

nightfighter
11-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Wow Ross what cool memories of you France trip! Very jealous! Thanks for sharing that. Can you imagine packing your kid off with a lunch and sending them on their way in the mountains?! Amazing experience. I need to go to Europe someday. It's on the bucket list now. It will be goal for when my son gets older.

Just so you don't get lost..... it's in Switzerland.:rotf2:

piemma
11-05-2011, 05:31 AM
So Clammer and I are up for it provided you guys take out life insurance policies on us and name John the beneficiary. This site will never need another fundraiser.:yak5:

Poncho
11-05-2011, 06:52 AM
I dont know if anybody else on here is a washed up ski racer like I am? But how much fun would an SB dual slalom be?

blondterror
11-05-2011, 07:56 AM
I dont know if anybody else on here is a washed up ski racer like I am? But how much fun would an SB dual slalom be?

Poncho... I would be up for that.. I raced for Berkshire school back in the day...

this is a great thread...

Lets keep it going...... here are a couple of YouTube videos of me skiing one on Lynx @ Sunapee and one off the Imperial lift @ Breckenridge

CLG on Lynx trail at Mount Sunapee - YouTube (http://youtu.be/BeagcDz993M)

CG Skiing off imperial lift @ Breck - YouTube (http://youtu.be/FqkUVSxPSu4)

Poncho
11-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I am going to be in breck in feb. those were some nice turns. I know that mt. watchusett has a wed night race leauge. I wonder if we could have enough people to form a team.

agroangler
11-06-2011, 05:21 AM
DUDE SERIOUS SPOT BURN!!!!!!!!!!!:smash::nailem:

It was bad enough when Cannon opened up Mittersil now we have every tom #^&#^&#^&#^& and harry thinking they are back country skiers! I'm just kidding around with the spot burn although some would probably argue that here. Tucker Brook has been around before Cannon officially became a ski mountain. I do it 2-3 times a year if conditions are right. It get's very flat once it links with the cross country trails. Sick at the top of it though and that's why we do it.

Yep just cuz fishing is over doesn't mean spot burning is allowed:fury:

agroangler
11-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Im heading home to Lake Tahoe in December for 10 days. Yahooooooo Squaw, Kirkwood, and a token Day at my home mountain Un-Heavenly:jump1:

Got Stripers
11-07-2011, 08:18 AM
Very cool stories, brings back many memories of my youth and frankly its a mirracle I survived it. I remember my first trip out west with a bunch of my ski instructor buds out at Bershire East, I think we skied most everything on the lists I've seen and some I was too stoned to even remember. We met a friend of one of the instructors who was local and he was completely nuts, either skiing down a run with his pants around is ankle, or getting ready to lead us site unseen out of bounds and into God knows what. At almost 60, my days of crashing blindly through the woods are done, especially with a bad back now, but I do miss the champaingne powder of the west. Looking forward to a SB ski day, should be fun.

bassballer
11-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I went to Tremblant 2 years ago and had a blast. If you havent been get there. Best apres scene ive experienced. Crazy bars and good restaurants and the entire village is right at the base of the mtn. As close to european ski scene as you can get.

MikeD
11-07-2011, 10:46 AM
What do you guys ski/ride on. I feel like geeking out on some gear talk. I bought a ski last year made by Line called the Sir Francis Bacon. It is a beefy ski at 139-115-142 and 182cm, but it has changed the game for me. Its got the reverse camber in the tip and tail with traditional underfoot. It skis really well on the groomed stuff for a ski of that width and makes anything ungroomed a playground. It surfs through powder, chop, trees. There are a few companies out their making skis with similar camber design and its worth a demo at your local mountain. especially if there is some fresh snow.

tysdad115
11-07-2011, 11:29 AM
My gear is old school..but I wont change them . 190CM K2 MSL all mountain skis, M51 titanium bindings and lange banshee boots....maybe its not old school but its definately old. The whole shaped scene was starting when I bought these,but I went with a ski more my type- an agressive ski that could handle whatever stupidity I hurled myself into.

blondterror
11-07-2011, 12:50 PM
I have Volkl six stars (black ones) and love them... they carve very well and track great at high speed... best skis I have ever owned... 168 cm

bassballer
11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
i have a little different gear but Ill play anyway:

I ride a ROME Slash 158
ROME targe binding and Vans Fargo boots

The slash is a great all around moutain freestyle thats great in the trees and groomers and nice booting off natural features. Gets a little chattery at high speeds but im not really into bombing anyway.

Also have a Burton Project 161 thats nice on deep Pow days

tysdad115
11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
i have a little different gear but Ill play anyway:

I ride a ROME Slash 158
ROME targe binding and Vans Fargo boots

So when do we start the "Knuckledragger vs. Two Planker" arguments? Lol, kidding of course.:smash: This thread is bringing back some great memories. Ill have to dig through some old pictures if I can find them.

GregW
11-07-2011, 02:39 PM
I would be down for a trip as long as there is a beginner's program to learn.
I've always wanted to learn to ski or snowboard.

likwid
11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
What do you guys ski/ride on. I feel like geeking out on some gear talk. I bought a ski last year made by Line called the Sir Francis Bacon. It is a beefy ski at 139-115-142 and 182cm, but it has changed the game for me. Its got the reverse camber in the tip and tail with traditional underfoot. It skis really well on the groomed stuff for a ski of that width and makes anything ungroomed a playground. It surfs through powder, chop, trees. There are a few companies out their making skis with similar camber design and its worth a demo at your local mountain. especially if there is some fresh snow.

Everyone makes reverse camber skis these days.
I ride 189 K2 Hellbents 179 K2 Obsetheds and 205 Igneous FFLs

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-07-2011, 08:34 PM
had a few pairs of 210's that had reverse chamber on them .little did i know they would be in vogue 20 years later.:) ski on a pair of Dynastar sultan 94's.waiting on a new pair of Lange rx130's.looking at getting a pair of Liberty double helix's with some marker barons.i am amazed at all the new ski companies that are sprouting up.almost as bad as plug builders:)

fishrick
11-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Grew up skiing vt, racing, then patrolling for 10 yrs.....had to move then. Yuch...but now we ski in the Park City, Utah areas for a week every year...Park City, Alta (my favorite), Snow Basin, Solitude...my family is wrecked now...only love the Utah Powder...greatest snow on earth! Get to VT twice a winter. Love the helmet cam shots, gotta get one of those!:rotf2:

MikeD
11-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Likwid, nice quiver! Hellbents and Obsethed are beauties! Bacons are basically the same ski as the obsetheds.

fish in VT, I just bought a pair of last years double helix's and put a pair or marker dukes on them for touring. its an agressive touring ski, but I want its soft snow prowess for the way down if I'm going to work my a$$ off skinning up.

Bassballer, I've never snowboarded, but the guys that I used to go with when I lived in VT talked about Rome boards lovingly. Used to slap those rome stickers everywhere.

Blond Terror, Those volkls are sick, but I don't care what you ski on after all the pics you have shared with us. You've got enough street cred to be skiing on a pair of rossi cut's from the rental shop. I'd still be interested in what you have to say.

MikeD
11-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Oh yeah, Ty's Dad. I was actually thinking the same thing! I've had great experiences with the boarding crowd. Most of the guys that I've gone with have been guys that like to seek out the fresh snow rather than the park guys. I've personally got no problem skiing with a boarder.

HanoverStriper
11-09-2011, 11:20 AM
I went to Tremblant 2 years ago and had a blast. If you havent been get there. Best apres scene ive experienced. Crazy bars and good restaurants and the entire village is right at the base of the mtn. As close to european ski scene as you can get.

I went there back when I worked for another Intrawest resort. Skied and stayed free (ahh, the good old days). Loved the resort. I vaguely remember dancing on the bar with some French speaking beauty. The village and nighlife are great!

tobias
11-09-2011, 12:46 PM
You guys check out some deals on Liftopia? Heading up to Stratton in January for $34 lift ticket. Coworker has a house up there so knows the mountain really well. Can't wait for the snow. Been out west once and spent 9 days at Vail and stayed in the back bowls the whole time. Would love to get back out west someday. Just have to wait for the kiddies to get a little bigger.

Favorite East mountains are Sugarloaf and Stowe. Used to do yearly trips to the Loaf prior to the kids. Had some great times up there and luckily the snowfields were open. I remember the coldest day on the mountain at the Loaf. -17 below at the condos. I remember riding up on the lift from the condo to the base and getting an ice cream headache. Even with my helmet and my hat, the temperature was unbelievable. Don't know what the wind chill was but just did one run and headed straight to the hot tub.

I ride a Lib Tech TRS 162.5 with Burton C60 bindings and Salomon F22 boots. Also have a Rossi 167 Levitation for those big powder days.

bassballer
11-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Bassballer, I've never snowboarded, but the guys that I used to go with when I lived in VT talked about Rome boards lovingly. Used to slap those rome stickers everywhere.

Yeah the ROME boards are sweet. Try to suppoprt the local VT companies, just like my RI tackle shops. Their customer service is great too.

bassballer
11-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I ride a Lib Tech TRS 162.5 with Burton C60 bindings and Salomon F22 boots. Also have a Rossi 167 Levitation for those big powder days.

That TRS is nice. You catch Art of Flight yet?

blondterror
11-09-2011, 02:50 PM
The HD Hero cams look like the way to go... would be great for glade/tree and powder runs to capture the sensation of skiing

here is a video of me slowly bump skiing at Sugarbush/castle rock with my nephew a few years ago

CG on Middle Earth bumps.mp4 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/tMR3lNaqWEk)

blondterror
11-09-2011, 03:12 PM
here is a great YouTube vid of some great mogul skiers... notice how they keep their upper body quiet and absorb the moguls with their legs... the best guys stay in contact with the snow most of the time.. they go aerial only when the terrain makes it necessary

Technical Bumps Moguls Skiing - YouTube (http://youtu.be/fwvSfitjG9w)

bump skiing with some freshies is the best... face job city

MikeD
11-09-2011, 04:17 PM
There is a group called Sweetgrass productions that has a few movies out that I would highly recomend. There is snowboarding, alpine and telemark skiing in all of them. I have "signatures" (powder, powder, more powder filmed in japan) and hand cut (powder, big mountain lines, US and canada). This is the trailer for their new flick called solitaire filmed in south american locations like las lenas in argentina and portillo in chile. They put a real artistic twist on your aveage ski flick. Best ski movies being made right now IMO.

SOLITAIRE: A Backcountry Skiing, Snowboarding, and Telemark Film on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/27216372)

nightfighter
11-09-2011, 05:14 PM
here is a great YouTube vid of some great mogul skiers... notice how they keep their upper body quiet and absorb the moguls with their legs... the best guys stay in contact with the snow most of the time.. they go aerial only when the terrain makes it necessary

Technical Bumps Moguls Skiing - YouTube (http://youtu.be/fwvSfitjG9w)

bump skiing with some freshies is the best... face job city

Also have to note the dryness of the snow, the nice size and spacing of the bumps vs. the chopped up crap I usually saw in the east. Most of those guys were on very short skis too. When long skis were the in thing, I would kill myself in a mogul field on a pair of 204-207s. Ski was too long and would straddle two separate bumps if at speed, and I would get launched ae the shovel loaded... Kind of like having the right rod for different fishing conditions. And we think rods are expensive?
I'll do a single bump eun with you Chris, but let me get a half dozen cruisers under my belt first....

likwid
11-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Bumps are gay. I like my knees. :hihi:

nightfighter
11-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Bumps are gay. I like my knees. :hihi:

Spoken like someone who could never master the bumps:biglaugh:

likwid
11-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Spoken like someone who could never master the bumps:biglaugh:

Oh I was forced to ski them and sort them out, still doesn't mean I have to LIKE them.

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
closing in on 57 i still enjoy skiing bumps.don't make as many turns as i use to but still can ski most runs at sugarbush non stop once i get my legs under me.the one thing i have learned from coaching 8 and 9 year olds is never try and follow them in the woods.made that mistake at the end of last season,i need a new helmut to start this season.

blondterror
11-09-2011, 07:34 PM
closing in on 57 i still enjoy skiing bumps.don't make as many turns as i use to but still can ski most runs at sugarbush non stop once i get my legs under me.the one thing i have learned from coaching 8 and 9 year olds is never try and follow them in the woods.made that mistake at the end of last season,i need a new helmut to start this season.

I agree... I am 56 and still enjoy the bumps for a few runs each day and do not like to stop mid run if I can avoid it... screws up your line and the lift is a good time to rest.. some of the young kids these days are amazing... quickness, carving and carrying good speed down the hill

likwid
11-09-2011, 07:54 PM

Spent enough years on hardpack that I only ever enjoy powder and tall things to fall off of anymore.

l.i.fish.in.vt
11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
likwid,the harder the better,anybody can fake it in the pow:).never was one to get much air.what i truly love is when we get 6 or 8 inches of light snow over a concrete base,that is when you can tell who is on their skiis and those that are not.i think the number one on my bucket list is to spend a season out west.have spent the last 37 winters here in VT.

likwid
11-09-2011, 08:51 PM
likwid,the harder the better,anybody can fake it in the pow:)

Not in retarded waist deep western blower they can't. ;)

One winter in Maine we got a giant dump, was fun watching everyone on skinny skis (and even most on mids and fats) trying to hang. Didn't work well.

Pete F.
11-09-2011, 09:40 PM
I have'nt skied for probably 12 years but did for many years before that and we always skied on skinny skis, anywhere anyplace.
Ski trails at Killington used to look like Mad Rivers do today or twelve years ago, skinny, tight, and a little off the fall line.

bassballer
11-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Bumps...No thanks. Moguls and snowboards dont mix.

MarshCappa
11-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Check out an old friend of mine Bobby Aldighieri. 92' Olympian and long time Canadian ski team coach for moguls. I used to ski with him at Steamboat and he's still out there. Best skier I've ever ski'd with. It's time for a reunion. I only do a handful of runs on the bumps and it's got to be perfect for me to do them. I perfer the trees nowadays.

Bobby 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt6dciJwEUU)

HanoverStriper
11-10-2011, 10:27 AM
(Start around the 2 minute mark). All of this bump skiing talk got me thinking about one of the many "old school" ski movies I owned. This is a clip from Fistful of Moguls. One of my favorite bump skiing sessions. And no, it's not becuase there are a bunch of dudes skiing with their shirts off.

This was when Mosely was in his prime, just before the olympics. Plake looks slow compared to everyone else, but he is probably skiing on 223's. Check out how quiet their upper boddies are, and how quick their feet are.

Clip from Fistful of Moguls - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00R6xsFqDOA)

blondterror
11-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Wow! Now we are talkin... that is some serious bumpin... great stuff... love the quickfeet... these guys are the best in the world at their craft...

MarshCappa
11-10-2011, 10:46 AM
I think we need a "Ski/Winter Sports" forum......................

tobias
11-10-2011, 10:49 AM
I've just seen the trailer but looking to buy the DVD. TRice is just SICK!

That TRS is nice. You catch Art of Flight yet?

Poncho
11-10-2011, 02:46 PM
cool videos love the daffys and hutniys havent seen those tricks in a few years, the telle guy is coool to

Poncho
11-10-2011, 02:48 PM
glen plake was and is the man! have met him a few times in sqwa valley, back in the day when he used to rip with Scott Schmitt

bassballer
11-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Top 3 snowboard flicks

1A. Thats it thats all
1B. Art of Flight
3. Deeper

MarshCappa
11-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Here's an article from my friend Bobby's Olympic run in 92'. This thread inspired me to re-connect with him after 5 years. We just exchanged emails and he wants me to get back and see him. We have common friends that live in Newport so maybe a group outing will be in the works. Although he had a clean run in the olympics it wasn't fast enough and he didn't make the finals. He did have 1 podium finish in 88' when he won a WC event in Japan when the sport was in it's infancy. He went on to coach USA and Canada and runs private camps. Currently he's back coaching the Canadians and is living in Whistler which is a place I would love to call home. I might just have to get back out there and visit him again. Skiing like fishing and other outdoor activities have a way of creating forever bonds.

Aldighieri Fades To 23rd - Hartford Courant (http://articles.courant.com/1992-02-13/features/0000205856_1_norway-s-stine-hattestad-france-s-raphaelle-monod-mogul-skiing)

blondterror
11-12-2011, 05:00 AM
here are some great MRG powder & spring skiing videos from a crew of great skiers:

Off-Piste at Mad River Glen - December 2010 (Revised) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9t9lNxwQVQ&feature=player_embedded)

AdventureSkierVT's Channel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventureSkierVT#p/a/u/0/0yjhsQ5JP3s)

Mad River Glen - Valentine's Day Storm - YouTube (http://youtu.be/gisIjeQJ2oA)

Got Stripers
11-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Moguls, I'd live for them, probably the cause of multiple compression fractures they found in my back when I had my MRI before my surgury this past april. I will ski them again, but no-where near as agressively as before and probably on the edges until I know my back can take it again. I remember burning my legs and an entire day on a run called white out (Steamboat I think), if you didn't commit to that run with speed the troughs would bust you up bad. My favorite thing is a good line through a mogul field after a dump, man that is the best thing going, better have some good googles:).

Saltheart
11-14-2011, 01:51 PM
I used to like the big slopes just full of moguls. The whole slope would be covered with bumps from top to bottom and left to right. I especially liked them in my teens and twenties. By my 30's i prefered smooth trails and slopes. i did like to go fast and nonstop from top to bottom but I avoided the bumps where possible. i stopped skiing right about 40 years old as by that time my knees were shot! I remember my last day of skiing. i was at Mount Snow which is pretty easy terrain but it was a hot slushy spring day. The main slope was so mucked up it was like skiing down a slope coated with newly poured concrete. The pressure on my knees was tremendous when turning and I knew on my last run down that that would be my last run of skiing ever. Weird feeling but i knew for sure that was it!

I loved Killington but skied in Ma, RI, Vt, NH. I learned to ski at Diamond Hill State Park back in 65 when it was still operated as a ski area. It was pretty tame in hind site but the top half of "The Big Hill" at diamond Hill was a very steep icey slope and challenged the best of them when the soft stuff got scraped off and what was left was ice. I also skied in Austria and Switzerland. I loved skiing St Anton in Austria as well as Innsbruck and Kitzbuel. St Antons is just this huge snowy mountain. We hired a guide and skied all over the place , on and off trails from intermediate to expert. There were these huge long bumpy slopes that the guide took us down to give us some "leg burn". :) I visited Park City and Snowbird but never got to ski there.

Skiing has become very expensive now. I can remember when an all day ticket in NH was $12.

tysdad115
11-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Heavy snows out west already...bad results starting early. News clips said 10 avalanches already this year on the mountain itself, not opened yet so no avie cannons or bombs for control.

SNOWBIRD, Utah - A professional skier and Minnesota native died in an avalanche in Utah on Sunday.

Jamie Pierre triggered the avalanche while snowboarding at the unopened Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort, south east of Salt Lake City.

Recent snowfall in the area has made the trails like back country conditions, and avalanche control is not being done yet.

In 2006, Pierre set the world record cliff jump with skis at 255 feet.

Officials say the incident is a tragic reminder of why skiing at resorts that are not open is so dangerous.

MikeD
11-14-2011, 04:43 PM
I just saw that about Jamie Pierre. He was in that category with McConkey where you just waited to see the headline. watching these guys was more like watching a race at Taledega and waiting for the big wreck. Look at this footage from his big cliff drop. How does he survive this?? He lands on his head! Really sad because he was a dad. no avy safety equipment. Just too reckless.

Jamie Pierre's World Record Cliff Jump | Video | Teton Gravity Research (http://www.tetongravity.com/videos/Jamie-Pierres-World-Record-Cliff-Jump-620875.htm)

likwid
11-14-2011, 08:13 PM
I just saw that about Jamie Pierre. He was in that category with McConkey where you just waited to see the headline. watching these guys was more like watching a race at Taledega and waiting for the big wreck. Look at this footage from his big cliff drop. How does he survive this?? He lands on his head! Really sad because he was a dad. no avy safety equipment. Just too reckless.

Jamie Pierre's World Record Cliff Jump | Video | Teton Gravity Research (http://www.tetongravity.com/videos/Jamie-Pierres-World-Record-Cliff-Jump-620875.htm)

RIP lawndarts for jesus

MikeD
11-14-2011, 09:36 PM
BTW Blondeterror, that video of MRG is excellent. Captures my favorite part of skiing in the east. I bought a photo from that couple thats framed in my place called fresh tracks. Makes me smile every time I look at it.

blondterror
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
BTW Blondeterror, that video of MRG is excellent. Captures my favorite part of skiing in the east. I bought a photo from that couple thats framed in my place called fresh tracks. Makes me smile every time I look at it.

I have been following the Ember Photography blog for a few years and would like to catch one of their slide shows... they often "skin up" Antelope before the single chair opens to get first tracks when there is a decent snowstorm... they live within 20 minutes of MRG

That is a nice print...

MikeD
12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Headed to Sugarbush tommorow early for a quick 2 days of skiing. This winter has been horrible so far but they got some good snow on the tail end of this storm so I'm hopeful. The cam looked real good today. If the lifts are on windhold I'll being throwing a tantrum in front of it tomorrow around 10.

Sugarbush Live Vermont Webcam (http://www.sugarbush.com/about-vermont-resort/webcam)

Any of you guys get some turns in yet? Coreshots?

MakoMike
12-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm in Park City as I type this, arrived a couple of days before Christmas. Conditions are not the greatest, they need snow bad.

MikeD
12-28-2011, 05:21 PM
You know its a bad start to a season when UT needs snow bad. My buddy is out there right now too Staying at Park City as well. He's reported the same thing. Big and Little Cotton wood are getting a dusting, but not the big snow he was looking for. I hope you're out there for a while longer and get a good dump.

MakoMike
12-28-2011, 05:25 PM
You know its a bad start to a season when UT needs snow bad. My buddy is out there right now too Staying at Park City as well. He's reported the same thing. Big and Little Cotton wood are getting a dusting, but not the big snow he was looking for. I hope you're out there for a while longer and get a good dump.

Thanks for the good wishes. Its really not that important to me, since the main purpose of the trip was to spend Christmas and New Years with my two kids and their kids. We're all gathered out here at my son's house. I'll see if I can upload a picture I took from his front door, He's across the road from the Canyons. We're headed back east the middle of next week.

mag minnow
12-29-2011, 05:14 AM
I'd be up for a "ski" trip but I converted to a single plank a long time ago...

Got Stripers
12-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Nightline did a short segment last night on the complete lack of snow anywhere, I've not even dug out my boards yet, I have no desire to ski a couple long and winding trails with everyone on the mountain. I'm heading up to the Mt. Washington Hotel for a long weekend and since I'm the only skier in the group and in light of the lack of natural snow; I'm not even bringing gear.

The silver lining is golfing in almost 60 degree weather a few days before Xmass and I was out again earlier this week. I'm looking forward to some sking but if this keeps up I'll golf until the pattern changes.