View Full Version : Harbor Seals! They're everywhere!

KJLane
05-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Did a little fishing off the south side of the cape over the weekend with my girlfriend. We found a couple bright fish but I thought the fishing slower than usual. (No suprise given the cool water temperatures.) What was suprising to me, however, was the number of seals we saw when driving the boat along the falmouth south shore. From Waquiot bay to Woods Hole, we noticed at least 15 seals, so I'm certain that there were plenty we missed as well! I've never seen so many seals before. Does anyone know if they are disruptive to the bass? Do they mostly just eat herring and slower bottom fish? If they do adversely affect the stripers, where can I get a permit to hunt them? (That last part was a joke!)

beachwalker
05-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Hey,

I live on nantucket sound and have some info for you on the seal deal. The seals winter in the area and the females calve (birth) here in March/April. This remarkably coincides with the herring, etc. run. By June most of the seals head to Maine and Canada. They are Grey and Harbor seals.
I have fished on beaches where the seals are swimming/fishing right with you. They bob on the surface and check you out. Send a heavy lure their way and they are gone in an explosive splash. A friend actuall caught a harbor a couple of years back. It was sad but they seal was beached and the hook carefully removed. It was amazing how calm the animal was. We are sure it recovered as we saw it swimming in a rip for a long time after.
All in all I have caught big bass with seals right in front of me, just not small ones I am sure the small bass aren't too comfortable when the seals are around, but when both are hungry they gotta eat.

Best of luck

fishing bum wannabe
05-05-2003, 10:19 AM
I have seen seals fishing, catching and eating their catch for 20 years. In only one instance have I seen one with a striper. For the most part they seem to catch skate with a few flounder thrown in. I suspect they catch a few bass, but a healthy bass would give a seal a run for his/her money.

KJLane
05-05-2003, 10:20 AM
thanks for the info beachwalker. i usually start fishing in late april and hadn't seen this many seals in prior years. could it be that the colder water is delaying their departure north?

Ed B
05-05-2003, 04:35 PM
Some years ago as I fished along Nauset I came upon 4 or 5 racks from short fish. My first reaction was who the heck are the SOB's filleting shorts. When I looked closely at the racks I realized that the flesh hadn't been filleted with a knife but appeared to have been chewed. It was in an area that I had been seeing seals and the only thing I could surmise was that the seals hang around waiting for you to release fish. The tired fish swims off slowly and the seal grabs an easy meal for himself.

Now if I see seals and am into fish. I limit my catch and move to another spot.

macojoe
05-05-2003, 05:37 PM
This is a pic of the seals in Aug!! They don't leave any more there here all year long. I have a friend that was reeling a bass in one day when he felt a huge pull and when he gotr the fish in it was dead and cut in half!! Seals to eat bass. But I agree that it would have to be a small or sick fish.

BasicPatrick
05-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Guys,

I am no scientist but I have heard for many years not to fish when there are seals around. Most of us who fish a great deal have learned that theis is BS. I have caught Stripers, Blues, Albies & bones right in with the seals.

I do however have to disagree with the info on this thread that seals are slower than Bass. I have personally witnessed seals outside of casting range coming up with Albie after Albie on Wasque down the vineyard. Albies are much faster than Bass and the seals can catch them without a problem.

Jusdt my 2 cents

BigFish
05-06-2003, 01:40 PM
:happy: My experience has always shown me that when there
are seals around there is either bait or bass around. Whenever
seals have shown close by while I was fishing 8 out of 10 times
the fish showed up.:bounce: :kewl: :walk:

chris L
05-06-2003, 02:35 PM
seals move very fast in water and are very agile critters . If you see seals feeding during the day go back there at night and there should be bass there feeding on left overs . I was told this by #1 angler son and found it very reliable . The seals on the cape dont leave anymore and with in a short period the sharks are going to find out where they have been hiding and come in for dinner ( thats if it hasnt already started ) .

Skitterpop
05-06-2003, 10:02 PM
There has been reports by tourist beach goers on the outer cape of witnessing shark attacks on seals for some years now.... there is a breeding colony in Chatham with over 1500 members now.... studies are ongoing to determine which area up north they have migrated from.

And yes they eat bass and blues....and lots more....

Last year someone was fighting a large bass down cape....took him down the beach 1/4 mile....all of a sudden he felt the load lighten and reeled in a head only....at a local baitshop they guestimated the bass was over 50lbs before he got chomped...by a large seal.

beachwalker
05-06-2003, 11:11 PM
All,

Thank you for all the great info spurred by KJlanes post. I know very little about the seals except for some of what I have heard and the rest from stomping the coast. These young pups were captured on digital today at Great Point, Nantucket. No action but I was only there for 30 odd minutes. Keepers are here but the H20 is chilly at the Point ! Probably 45-46 ish.

I have had many a head brought to the beach due to blue and bass. All had the oval bite of a shark. I am assuming a brownie. In 1996 a VERY large white was spotted cruising the surface off Sankaty. Reliable source was the witness. Estimates in the 15 ft range. Bluefin tuna and more offshore species caught inshore. I heard the same about Chatham and vicinity. Anyone have input about Mako(s) landed in the area. Heard a few stories.

I am so pleased it is finally the season again. Was that the worst reminder of what are winters can be or......

Tight lines !

Notaro
05-06-2003, 11:33 PM
aww, those pups look so cute....