View Full Version : How long before "first ice"????

FishermanTim
11-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I have been able to get out on the ice usually by mid December, providing we have cold enough temps for the ice to set up.
Luckily, I have a brother up near Winnipesaukee (NH) so I can always take a road trip up his way if I so desire.

Anyway, I picked up a couple portable shelters last season, and I'm looking forward to getting them out on the ice!!!

So......when do you think we will have safe ice (not just "first ice")???

Rockfish9
11-07-2011, 01:47 PM
It's been a long time.. but I've been on as early as the day after Thanksgiving (Martins Pond North Reading 1980)... with this crazy weather pattern who knows... I'm looking towards getting on a few of the smaller/shallower ponds the week before Christmas...

Raven
11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
these guys ice fishing using the new rigs
that seemed to work great
leaving one bait standing still
and jigging the other bait to lure them closer
pulling 5 lb trout out of the lake -easy beans
they were hitting the still suspended shrimp like tubes

gonna get me some of them mini tube jigs :uhuh:
and some of those new rigs this year too.
~
spent the day working on my bait farm
i must have upwards of 5-10,000 european night crawlers
and that population will double in 90 more days....:buds:
(all different sizes of course)

marky1
12-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Hopefully by the 2nd or 3rd week in Jan.
This crazy weather is not helping it one bit ,..the ice and my itching to get out there.
Might as well get going on the "honey-do list" while waiting for ice.

Rockfish9
12-30-2011, 08:29 AM
IF I was 20 years younger.. I'd be going out somewhere this weekend... I'll be fishing next week end for sure... I know several places that have marginal ice now...with the cold that is forecast for next week... it wont be an issue..

Night Shift
12-30-2011, 08:33 AM
There is some very cold weather on the way for next week. I expect to walk on water next weekend, but it will probably be up north. Keep your fingers crossed.

Last year at this time, it was surf and turf. A little muzzle loading in the morning, and some bait trapping in the afternoon.

The Dad Fisherman
12-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I think I'm going to take a road trip to NH next weekend and look for some ice.

Get the bugs ironed out

GattaFish
12-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Ice.... I just saw swans on the local pond,,,,,WTF.///

I am down by the shore in CT,,,,,

ivanputski
12-31-2011, 04:08 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but I hope it stays above 50 all winter, and I never see a single flake, icicle, or even frost on my windshield... Last winter sucked to the max... Dont get bent out of shape, it's just my personal point of view... carry on.

The Dad Fisherman
12-31-2011, 06:13 PM
You May Leave Now...:bshake:

stiff tip
01-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Not to rain on the parade, but I hope it stays above 50 all winter, and I never see a single flake, icicle, or even frost on my windshield... Last winter sucked to the max... Dont get bent out of shape, it's just my personal point of view... carry on.

there goes the ice fishing season 4 me:love:

FishermanTim
01-04-2012, 12:35 PM
I was up in the lakes region for the weekend and there were quite a few smaller ponds that were locked up tight and people were out on the ice!
As for the main lake, it's too early to even consider hitting that unless you are on a boat.

I can't wait for "derby-time"!!!!!

Rappin Mikey
01-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Now

piemma
01-04-2012, 02:21 PM

I'm with you. Want to ice fish? Move to Canada.:)

The Dad Fisherman
01-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Want warm weather, move to Florida. :hee:

This is New England, Pissin and Moanin about the cold is like me moving to Florida and Pissin and Moanin about the heat...which I would do (P&M that is)

piemma
01-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I actually like the cold weather. It's the white stuff that I dislike.

Rockfish9
01-04-2012, 03:05 PM
My trucks loaded.. I just haven't nailed down my destination ...

The Dad Fisherman
01-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I actually like the cold weather. It's the white stuff that I dislike.

I'm exactly the same way.....I can do without the snow too.....I just want some ice....

The Dad Fisherman
01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
My trucks loaded.. I just haven't nailed down my destination ...

Been hearing north up Rt.93 near the White Mountains is looking good. Smaller Trout Ponds and such w/ a good 5-6 inches right now and growing....cold up there right now

Night Shift
01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
I drove by Kingsbury Pond in Maine on Sunday and there were people all over it. Including the middle.

I'll be fishing somewhere this weekend.:jump1: