View Full Version : Homemade Beef Jerky

WESTPORTMAFIA
11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Does anyone make their own? I picked up the 7 tray system for 40 bucks at Bass Pro. I made a batch today after curing the meat. It's edible and has some flavor but not what I was looking for exactly. For starters I cut the meat way too thin which is an easy fix for next time problem solved there. I'm going to try a wet marinade next time to get some heavy flavor. I think I cooked it for too long too as I wanted to make sure I wasn't eating something that would kill me. Also an easy fix for next time. I have a question about using the cure. Is it necessary if you don't plan on keeping it for more than a few weeks? And also what is the shelf life with the cure. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

Bob Thomas
11-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I used to make it all the time. I used London Broil for the meat. Trick for cutting it thin. Put it in the freezer just to the point it gets a little firm. Then you can cut it without tearing it apart

I used an old recipe that I can't find now. It was something like low sodium soy sauce, powder garlic and onion, hot sauce, liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce. Marinate for about two days and tray it. Rotate the trays every half hour or so so that not 1 tray dries faster than the other. After it is dehydrated enough, cool it down and enjoy.

Guys at work loved the stuff but i just have not had the time to make any lately

Expirament with flavors. Try some terryaki flavoring. Real good too. My next batch will be with flank steak. Supposed to be even more tender

Good luck!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

mikecc
11-22-2011, 08:42 PM
I grind it up and use a Jerky Cannon this way it's always the same size/thick.
mix Cure,spices or packet your choice and 1oz of water per LB of meat let sit in fridge for 6 hours. I pump the jerky mix out on wire racks dry it in the oven at 200dig for 1.5 hrs them take them out and flip them back in the oven for 1.5 hours again. 5 lbs of meat= 60 ,1"X12" jerky sticks

mikecc
11-22-2011, 08:50 PM
I know you have to use the cure if grinding the meat. Not sure if you are slicing it. The cure prevents bacteria growth. I fridge it, in a glass canning jar after it is done but not till after it is cooled down. If you place it in the fridge before it is cooled down it will sweat and spoil quicker. The trick is to keep it dry

Bob Thomas
11-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Mike - did you make the stuff you have us this fall? That stuff was fantastic!

mikecc
11-22-2011, 09:05 PM
The stuff earlier was from a guy at BSP. This is the same style but it is a "regular blend" from LEM products. I like the pepper better which is what I gave you.

Bob Thomas
11-23-2011, 08:52 AM
The stuff earlier was from a guy at BSP. This is the same style but it is a "regular blend" from LEM products. I like the pepper better which is what I gave you.

That's right. I remember asking around but no one knew. If that was from a press like u talk about I'm going to try one.

Westport - the stuff mike talks about was great. I've. Ever tried a press nor have I tried dry spice for jerky but it was really good.

What type of dryer do you have? I have one of those ronco ones with just heat no fan. Works but seems inefficient

Saltheart
11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Try putting the meat and marinade in a vaccuum seal bag for a few hours.Suck out the air. this really draws the marinade into the meat. Then cure and dry as usual.

Bob Thomas
11-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Try putting the meat and marinade in a vaccuum seal bag for a few hours.Suck out the air. this really draws the marinade into the meat. Then cure and dry as usual.

Saltheart - how do you prevent the juice from being vaccumed up as well?

Saltheart
11-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Sorry Bob I don't understand the question.

Bob Thomas
11-23-2011, 02:07 PM
My vacuum sealer is a food saver. If I put liquid in with the meat won't the liquid be forced out theough where the vacuum part attaches? I.e. won't there be spillage?

mikecc
11-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Bob they make canning jars and canisters that hook right up to the Foodsaver

Bob Thomas
11-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Ohhhhhhh. Ok. That makes sense now. Duhhhh

The Dad Fisherman
11-23-2011, 02:59 PM
You can also put it in a ziploc bag w/ marinade and then in a food saver bag to compress it.

Saltheart
11-23-2011, 05:15 PM
My vacuum sealer is a food saver. If I put liquid in with the meat won't the liquid be forced out theough where the vacuum part attaches? I.e. won't there be spillage?

OK , now I understand the question.

To do it in a bag you need a manual seal button or Instant seal button. this way you vacuum until the juice starts to get sucked towards the vacuum spout then hit the seal button to stop the vacuum and do the heat seal before it sucks the liquid.. if you don't have such buttons , you use a cannister like MikeT shows.

WESTPORTMAFIA
12-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Having some fun with this thing. After the 1st screwed up batch I have 1 flavor that is perfected. It's a spicy garlic teriyaki. It's nice and spicy. I also made a Jamaican Jerk that is pretty awesome and packs some intense heat and a ton of flavor. The best 44 bucks I've spent. I'm starting to vac seal some batches for ice fishing. I'm using wet marinade with whole meat, top round, cut into thick bacon slices by the local meat market which save alot of prep/headache.

GattaFish
12-11-2011, 08:28 PM
You guys are killing me,,, I haven't made it is a few years,,, have a food dehydrate I picked up at Cabelas a few years ago and never used it.. It looks like a mini fridge.... maybe have to get off my butt this year...

WESTPORTMAFIA
12-11-2011, 09:11 PM
You won't regret it if you like jerky but don't like paying out your nose for it. Next batch is going to be a Habanero Smoked BBQ I have a feeling it's gonna be killah! I love the fact that I can make it smoking hot. I have bought various so called hot jerkys before and it never burned my lips the way I like.

Sea Dangles
12-12-2011, 11:01 AM
The risaa show has a vendor with jerky that will burn your lips.