View Full Version : What spinning rod/reel combo for striped bass from boat?

Wild Steelhead
05-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Hi,

I'm a flyfisherman looking to try striped bass fishing with conventional gear. I'll be fishing for striped bass from a small boat in the Potomac river, and then in the Chesapeake Bay. I would really appreciate recommendations for spinning rod length/action/weight, as well as a corresponding size reel. Of course, specific manufacturer/model recommendations are always appreciated.

Lastly, line and rigging recommendations would help too. First up will be fishing the Potomac at Fletcher's Boathouse. They seem to recommend using herring on the bottom. Is that a basic rig? If there is a website with info on any of this, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

05-07-2003, 09:33 AM
I use a Penn 4500 with a 7' Star Rod and 14lb mono line for the smaller fish, which works great. When the heavy weights are around I switch to a conventional outfit...

hooked
05-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Are you targeting schoolies or big bass? Any idea how big/heavy your bait or lures will be?

There was a thread a couple months ago that had some tips for a schoolie outfit that may give you ideas.

http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6673

IFG
05-07-2003, 05:47 PM
If you live within driving distance of wareham checkout M&D's he's got 7' foot conv. rods that are awesome Plus the reels to put on them.
I recomend his rod with a millionare.

Wild Steelhead
05-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Hooked, to answer your question, I'm not sure, being totally new to this. We will be fishing for what ever comes up the Potomac river, and hoping for big guys!!:) As far as weight of lures, rigs, etc., that's where I was hoping the experts on line here could help by giving some suggestions. I'd like to try bait and lures, jigs, etc. I know, not one rod/reel can do it all. But, if you had to choose just one spinning rod/reel to cover as much ground as possible, what would it be?

Ifishgibbs, I don't live near Wareham, I live in Virginia.

Thanks.

IFG
05-08-2003, 06:36 PM
allrighty then

an american tackle 7' foot blank should do ya if you got a guy who makes custom rods down there.

If not I recomend the St.Croix tidemaster 7-8' or the Bass Pro Extreme fresh and salt 6-7'

Reels either a shimano calcuta or Cardiff .