View Full Version : spook building FRUSTRATION

Muskyslayer96
11-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I hope someone will rescue my spook building as I'm not sure where to go next.
I spent a lot of time over Thanksgiving break reading all the past posts here regarding spook building, Jig mans post was especially helpful.
I cut some blanks and weighted them and the sat in the water level about where I wanted them (I thought), approx. 10-15 degrees tail down. I don't have a current pic, but I cut the blank the same specs as my swimmers (pic attached) 6 inches long, cut from pine, 1/2 oz wieght 2inches in from the tail, the hook position is the same as the pic and I tried both line tie centered and below the center line. I used 5/0 trebles, weight total 2 3/8 oz.
It sits in the water nicely, but on the jerk it won't glide, it just bounces. I'm looking for a nice, wide surface glide. Did I weight it too much and that is why it keeps bouncing? I didn't drill out the lead yet (forgot the drill) it's in the low thirties today and testing was brutal with 25 plus MPH winds, so back to the shop frustrated.
How should I break down the next step? Drill the weight out and see if less weight will be better? Should I move the towards the head more?
Here is a pic of the lure shape and body style.

Thanks in advance guys for any pointers,
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac37/muskyslayer4430/DSCF2398.jpg
MS

ProfessorM
11-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Not sure I can help you out with wgt. placement and body shape as that is something that everyone has preference too but I find that the fisherman has a lot to do with how they swim with the technique they use in the retrieve. Maybe you are being too aggressive. It's all in the wrist IMO. Your hook selection may be too big too. Have fun and keep that crappy cold weather in your neighborhood please, I'm not ready for any of that crap yet.

GattaFish
11-27-2011, 07:54 PM
I have built more than a few spooks,,, let see a pic of it and maybe we can help...

lazzyone
11-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I find that I get a better wide glide action using a heavier wood like maple. Woods that are too buoyant tend to want to rise and this often makes them stop rather than getting that wide glide action. Also increasing the length of the lure often adds to a farther side to side action. Good luck!

Slipknot
11-27-2011, 09:45 PM
you don't have any bucktail on the rear hook do you?

5/0 trebles seem pretty large

try a heavier wood and smaller hooks, do you have any heavy mahogany or maple?
the weight position seems fine, could be even further back not forward

Jigman knows his spooks

that body style should walk the dog fine as it is close to a ballerina and those work great.

it is time consuming but if you change stuff, do it one thing at a time to see what helps.

good luck

Rockfish9
11-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm with everyone else.. that hook sounds large... I make mine from WRC and they swim awesome... under the right conditions, they may even almost circle back.. so light wood probably is not the issue.. I think it is in the hook... that big 5/0 wants to stay put in the water and also provides alot of nose foreward weight.... try a 3/0.. 4/0 at the largest...

numbskull
11-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Is the line tie central or off center? Dropping it off center ought to help.
Lengthening the plug, and narrowing the mid section should help.
More tail weight and smaller hooks might work as well.

Spooks walk the dog because the fat head resists moving and the heavy tail swings by it. The more subtle these factors the further they will glide. ANything that converts the pull into an upward force (ie the shape of the plugs throat-midsection) will make them bounce. Dropping the line tie reduces this some, but is not necessary if the plug has a more tapered head (like a howdy). Anything that makes the tail drag (bucktail, weed, or large hooks) impairs walking and glide.

Tagger
11-28-2011, 03:27 PM
5/0 is huge . tough swinging that arse with an anchor on it ..

Muskyslayer96
11-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys for the input.

I will definitely give the responses a try and report back.....It's really cool to get so much help with a post.

Cool, Cool

MS