View Full Version : Stupidity could cost access

05-07-2003, 01:41 PM
I heard about this over the weekend. This is the kind of thing that will close this prime strip of fishing area to vehicles........

Driver Faces $25,000 Fine For Killing Endangered Bird
Conservationists Discover Damage To Piping Plover Sanctuary

Police are looking for an off-road vehicle driver who disturbed a South County sanctuary for the endangered piping plover.

A worker with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service found a male piping plover last weekend that appeared to have been run over by a four-wheel-drive vehicle.

Technicians later determined a similar vehicle had driven through a roped-off area, tearing down signs and fencing designed to protect a nesting pair of the birds.

Piping plovers are endangered and federally protected. They have been nesting in protected areas on South County beaches for the past 12 years. Certain beaches have been off-limits to people since April, when the nesting season began.

The driver faces a $25,000 fine for the plover's death.

Piping plovers are distinguished by a black ring around their necks.

Brooksie
05-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Excellent Avatar 179!

05-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Brooksie,
Thanks on the Avatar, but I decided to change it, didn't want to offend anyone in here.......;)

JohnR
05-21-2003, 07:29 AM
I'm suprised I didn't see this. Hope they find the bastard. Likely some punk out joy riding...

tlapinski
06-09-2003, 10:04 AM
what beach? the eggs at the RIMS property got eaten last week! oh well. ;)

fishweewee
06-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Fakken plovers. Kill 'em all. :af:

fishsmith
06-19-2003, 03:38 PM
Piping plovers are distinguished by a black ring around their necks. and hundreds of miles of restricted beaches where coyotes and foxes eat them at will, but taxpayers get blamed and can't use the beach any more.

I second wee wee's respones. Kill em all.

fishsmith
06-20-2003, 06:56 AM
the piper gods must of seen my last post. I went out on duxbury beach last night, and the bird has closed all but 500 yards, and where you can park couldn't be more flat and structureless.
:af:

jugstah
06-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Did they ever find the bastid that killed the plovah?

Mr. Sandman
06-25-2003, 10:58 AM
The plover probably will probably struggle to make it they are having a very difficult time with predators...not so much with 4wd vehicles yet the plover is displacing 4wd's everywhere.

Here is an idea...Why not MOVE the plover to say...NOMANS LAND where there are no people or predators? I think it would be a better solution for all. They CAN live the as well as anyplace else.
(frankly I have had it with this plover problem and hope they all get eaten and we get the beach back. This year there are no plovers on Norton point (MV) and the beach will remain open (they say). See, its a good thing. I think the skunks and gulls are getting the eggs not 4wd'ers.

JohnR
07-04-2003, 10:50 PM
For years the seagulls on Monomoy have been croaking the few plovers there and the people that try to stop us from driving on the beach are all up in arms about it. So as the story is related to me, Mass wildlife wants to kill 50 thousand gulls on Monomy with poisened PB&J sandwiches - not even a dent in the population - but the same people are all up in arms that they're going to kill these gulls even to save there precious plovers.

They're not trying to save the plover, they are trying to get everyone else off the beach so they can have a massive bird sanctuary. Pisses me off...

beachwalker
07-11-2003, 06:44 PM
frickin' bird huggers

StripperSearch
08-05-2003, 09:13 PM
how does plover taste?:rolleyes:

vio
08-07-2003, 03:45 AM
Plover eggs.. great on toast..

dutch39
04-26-2004, 07:43 PM
They taste like a really small,flat chicken.

MakoMike
04-27-2004, 06:57 AM
They taste just like spotted owl. :o