View Full Version : Dogs that swim ..

Tagger
12-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I've been thinking about a small dog to yak fish with .. Maybe just jealous of the "boy and his dog"thing Numby's got going on .. Anyone have any of these smaller dogs ?

Doggie Paddlers! - 13 Dog Breeds That Swim & Love The Water (http://www.dogguide.net/dogs-that-love-water.php)

Tagger
12-01-2011, 12:51 PM
You gotta admire a dog like that ..

Tagger
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Schipperke <------ anyone ever have one of those ?

JohnnyD
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
My fiance's family had a German Shorthaired Pointer up until 1.5 years ago. Even at 10y/o she loved being in the water and would swim for hours at a time if we let her.

A couple great parts about her: being short-haired you could literally squeegee the water off her and she'd be mostly dry by the time we got to the truck. She loved being on any kind of water craft - paddle boat, kayak, canoe, 19' Neptune - and because she swam so well, there wasn't a lot of worry if she went overboard, which is a good quality when you're running across a lake at 25MPH, a loon pops to the surface a little ways out and the dog jumps overboard to go after the bird.

Knowing she could hold her own around water and be safe was most comforting.

I'm sure Makai will chime in here... He and his pup (named Makai) are the epitome of "A boy and his dog."

fishbones
12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Schipperke <------ anyone ever have one of those ?

I've never had one, but it looks like a good size for taking on the yak. I read through the different breeds in the link and that's one that I'd consider. I'm still a couple years away from getting another pup though. My kid's in first grade and still won't clean his room so I doubt he'll clean up after a dog.

JohnnySaxatilis
12-01-2011, 01:57 PM
my buddie has a portuguese water dog, super smart and as the name suggests loves the water. hypoallergenic ,doesnt shed. $$$ tho

Swimmer
12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
What are you going to do in a boofish blitz when the dog is 30' from the Yak?

MarshCappa
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I was fishing a beach on Cotuit this fall and a guy came paddling in with his yak and out came a little dog. Sat in the nose with a little blanket. I used to bring my dog Banjo on the skiff and he would bark his brains out when I pulled the starter cord. Annoying, especially when it wouldn't start after a few pulls. He jumped in the Jones river one time off of the dock and I had to go in after him cuz he freaked out. Crazy dog. I don't take him fishing because he wants to chase the plug and barks everytime I cast it out. I bring him to the beach and tie my sons boogie board to him and throw a tennis ball. After an hour of that he's usually calm.

chefchris401
12-01-2011, 03:24 PM
If you bring up a dog around water most of them will take to it just fine.

My pit mix loves the water, there not supposed to though. She will swim and play for hours.

One the best water dogs I've ever seen was a boxer, my girlfriend at the time rescued him so my lab puppy could have a buddy, the dog was abused and was kept inside for the most part. He had never even seen water when we got him.

We took him to a secluded beach and he was terrified, shaking and almost collapsing but after he was ankle deep and trying to get to us and my dog, he swam like a champ, he would swim across the local pond no problem, never had any issues with not being able to touch bottom. He was almost too brave for his own good.

I have friends that have French bulldogs and Boston terriers that love the water and take em out in their boats.

Even my girls mini yorkie loved the water before we had to put him down :(
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

agsurfr
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Have a small female black lab that would accompany me when I went largemouth bass fishing. Sometimes she would sit behind me and watch me fish. As she got older the retriever thing started to become a little more potent and she attempted to "fetch" any fish on my line.

Typical lab, she'd eat anything and I'd often find her with a mouthful of algae. Pretty comical to see these nasty green strands hanging out of her mouth. Good dog, too big for a yak though.

MAKAI
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
My fiance's family had a German Shorthaired Pointer up until 1.5 years ago. Even at 10y/o she loved being in the water and would swim for hours at a time if we let her.

A couple great parts about her: being short-haired you could literally squeegee the water off her and she'd be mostly dry by the time we got to the truck. She loved being on any kind of water craft - paddle boat, kayak, canoe, 19' Neptune - and because she swam so well, there wasn't a lot of worry if she went overboard, which is a good quality when you're running across a lake at 25MPH, a loon pops to the surface a little ways out and the dog jumps overboard to go after the bird.

Knowing she could hold her own around water and be safe was most comforting.

I'm sure Makai will chime in here... He and his pup (named Makai) are the epitome of "A boy and his dog."

You talking about my kayak hood ornament. :)

numbskull
12-01-2011, 06:08 PM
You gotta admire a dog like that ..

Not once you smell her.

niko
12-01-2011, 06:19 PM
How about a newfie, you could tie a rope to him and he could pull you around. you would need a Larry sized yak though
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRBuzz
12-01-2011, 06:23 PM
my buddie has a portuguese water dog, super smart and as the name suggests loves the water. hypoallergenic ,doesnt shed. $$$ tho

Obama or Kennedy?:)

fatcow
12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Best all around little dog Jack Rus Ter. Swam to the middle of the canal with full current and came back without a prob. Rodent problem or squirrels eating the garden they'll take care of that. Alot of people complain about all the energy they have, i find they just want to do what u do. 12 years old each and still going as strong as the day i brought them home. Big dog loves the water but at 150lbs he'll weigh u down. 3 years old. All 3 dogs great with kids.

JohnnyD
12-01-2011, 10:09 PM
You talking about my kayak hood ornament. :)
Never saw that one. Great pic.

And yes I was...

lurch
12-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Cant go wrong with a Lab...

zacs
12-02-2011, 08:51 AM
I have a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, and my dog is the best water dog i have ever seen. like the Port. Water Dog, she has a non-shed coat. she point, swim, & retrieve like a champ, and has the best personality ever!

Raven
12-02-2011, 09:14 AM
the temperament of the dog in the boat is vastly important
especially if they cannot sit still....you loose your stealth

and the snapping at the plugs as you cast them a super Buzz KILL
you also have to consider the sunshine reflecting off the water
into the dogs eyes...

herding dogs are good swimmers too and retrievers
but my latest one (a blue) instead of a black doesn't like
the water or being out in the boat and i think it's up to
the dogs individual personality allot too.

Back Beach
12-04-2011, 07:36 AM
The loyal, lovable, and lively lab...mine does it all...like having a third son. When someone told me they chew like you can't believe it was a huge understatement.

MAKAI
12-04-2011, 10:23 AM
The pup also snorkels