View Full Version : Got some Madeira thread

Saltheart
05-07-2003, 09:06 PM
I got 4 big spools (2700 yards) and 2 smaller spools (1000 yards) of Madeira metallic. Stuff is nice! Their purple called Amethyst is the nicest purple color I've seen. I got gold , copper , blue and coral in big spools and red and purple in the smaller. I want to build a rod for myself using it and if it works as good as it looks , I plan on stocking up and switching from the Gudebrod metallic. I like the Gudebrod nylon but the metallic coating on their thread just comes off too easy. I even see spots of it seperating on areas still on the spools. Anyway , I like this Madeira thread.

PNG
05-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Mike,
I have used, albiet little, some gold Medeira and was impressed. Size was smaller than our "A". It did not unwind, layed perfect and looked good.
Doing a butt wrap I took 4 strands together and wraped them as if they were braid, they did not wind together like Gudebrod, not one twist. Nice stuff to work with. What I found however is going back to Gudebrod makes you hate it even more.
Good luck
Chris

Billy 40
05-08-2003, 06:01 AM
Madeira Mettalix is good stuff. Been using it for butt wraps & underwraps for about 2 years now. I've got way too many colors, like 6 shades of Gold, 3 shades of Silver, 3 different Blues, etc.

The Superior mettalix that MikeCC sells is pretty much the same as Madiera, maybe a little stronger? It comes in some different colors, and is priced right.

Anyone else notice the epoxy comes out really lumpy when you use it over a Madiera mettalic underwrap? Sometimes it comes out smooth, other times pretty lumpy. A coat of CP will prevent this to a degree, as will putting a coat of epoxy on, then wiping it down once it's set up with denatured alcohol.

Any other hints on using it?

PNG
05-08-2003, 06:27 AM
Billy I havent used it enough to notice the bumps. Do you give it a quick flame b4 epoxy?
Chris

hammer
05-08-2003, 11:56 AM
I've just started using the Madeira thread on the last 2 rods for underwraps. I had the same problem as Billy 40. Without the CP, the epoxy wrap finish was uneven and lumpy. Maybe it has something on it to go through the sewing machines. I like working with it and the colors so I guess I'll just use CP. One good coat of the Gudebrod CP eliminated the problems. I brought my rod with the amethyst underwraps to the casting clinic last Saturday, and received some compliments on the color.