View Full Version : Lawn Tractor Help

Swimmer
12-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I have an Ingersoll tractor with 987 hours on it. Runs like a charm most of the time. I have done all the repairs in the past.
This morning I was backing up and didn't realize one of the three bags fell off and wrapped itself around the middle blade. It shut itself down before I realized what happened. I fairly easily unwrapped the bag. The blade did not hit the metal frame the bag hangs from. Now the tractor wont start. Any ideas. It has spark. It has a new starter. However the new battery was junk and I have had to jump it several times since I bought it in August. It has gas. It should have started right back up. It has one of those clutches on the front of the engine that when you hit the switch it engages the belt drive and turns the three blades. Is there a fuse there that I might have popped?

UserRemoved1
12-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Did you tilt it up to work on it?

Does it crank?

Fishpart
12-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Unplug the clutch and try again. Slipping belt might have melted the insulation on the coil but not likely. Seat switch? Had to replace the coil on mine onan engine this spring. Fuel, bag may have damaged fuel line on the way by.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

Swimmer
12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
I figured it out. I undid the seat switch yeats ago. One of the wirs from the positive pole to the starter had a crack in it. Some of the strands of wire had broken. One more broke the other day making the wire useless. Cut and soldered new end on it and it turned over. It must have been time to go at the same time I ran over the friekin bag.

Pete_G
12-06-2011, 09:35 AM
That tractor is just a baby.

Those have to be the toughest lawn and garden tractors ever, being almost totally hydraulically driven, not counting the belt drive clutch.

Not cheap to be sure and not particularly modern at this point, but there's nothing quite like them.

Random fact - if you have the 60" deck it is an interference design. Really bad things would have possibly happened if that metal frame got up inside there and the toothed belt failed. The sounds, speaking from experience, are unpleasant (and expensive).

Swimmer
12-06-2011, 10:49 AM
That tractor is just a baby.

Those have to be the toughest lawn and garden tractors ever, being almost totally hydraulically driven, not counting the belt drive clutch.

Not cheap to be sure and not particularly modern at this point, but there's nothing quite like them.

Random fact - if you have the 60" deck it is an interference design. Really bad things would have possibly happened if that metal frame got up inside there and the toothed belt failed. The sounds, speaking from experience, are unpleasant (and expensive).

It was expensive when I bought it, but all my neighbors are on thier third tractor from the same time I picked this one up down in Swansea. The kicker was the log splitter that attached to the back. At the time it was considered a SMALL COMMERCIAL SPLITTER AND THE GUY SOLD IT TO ME FOR $600.00 BECAUSE THE GUY WHO ORIGINALLY BOUGHT IT BROUGHT IT BACK. Said splitting wood was for him and it had been sitting under a tarp for a year. I just noticed the mowing deck is actually has a rust through spot. I am sure I can weld it and fix the spot.

I have been lucky to be able to get parts for it at a couple of different places, especially since Ingersoll went belly up twive and has now been reincarnated up in Maine. Still American made.